Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
So we know the people who are experimenting this so called "Rogers TV BETA" service are tight lipped, what about the people who have not signed a NDA? whats your opinion?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
So we know the people who are experimenting this so called "Rogers TV BETA" service are tight lipped, what about the people who have not signed a NDA? whats your opinion?
The people who are not under the same NDA as the beta testers do not have access to the new service so their opinions are based solely on what they see in the training videos.

I have seen pictures of the UI as my roommate is a rogers employee and I saw the training video she was watching. The UI looks pretty slick. There is a lot of Rogers branding so prepare for a lot of red colours on your screen. The IPG is now translucent so you can browse the guide and see the current channel playing behind it. ROD has also been overhauled and sort of has a cover flow feel to it. All the titles are displayed with their movie posters and apparently videos will start instantaneously . The search functionality is exactly the same as what you get on the TV manager app on your iphone or android device except the results are supposed to be much faster. There is also a weather network app built into the new STB software and other apps are apparently in development, although they didn't specify what in the video. I would assume facebook and twitter are in the works.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I know the 8642 and 4642 are IPTV capable, so I'm assuming they might be using some of that functionality to integrate Facebook, Twitter and other popular social media sites. Does anyone know if those boxes have built in Docsis 3 modems?? I'm assuming they do. I'm also curious if the Guide data will load using an XML file

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would think that something like that to be rolled out to millions of customers would need extensive testing (more than a couple of months beta testing). If it is ready - that's great. Perhaps Rogers will (for once) surprise me.
I don't think it's correct to call it beta testing. Alpha testing would have been done by the firmware provider. I would actually argue that by the time it is delivered to the cableco it's been much more thoroughly tested than alpha or beta.

Then it went through some testing by Rogers' labs, possibly even deployed in the homes of some Rogers employees (who are also customers). *That* could be considered beta testing of the overall solution.

So this is really a limited trial, not a beta test. There's probably not going to be any firmware fixes coming out of this round of testing, but more likely updates to the instructions sent out to the customers and the scripts given to the support people, and the installation/troubleshooting instructions given to the installers.

So, yeah, it *could be* quick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So any idea if the "enhanced" 8642 box necessary is any different from all the 8642s already deployed?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Pretty sure they are calling it "enhanced" to differentiate it with the 8300s.

It has been a while since Rogers got me excited about something. I am very interested in seeing this!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Glad to hear this is finally coming. I've been wanting to get a TV for the bedroom and have access to what's been recorded already but I've been loathe to give up my unlimited bandwidth DSL to get Fibe TV with it's pathetic cap.

But with a current 8300HD that means I'm going to lose all my recordings. Again. For the umpteenth time. *sigh*

·
Registered
317 Posts
No, I was one of the first customers invited into their beta test program in December. Before that, only Rogers employees were eligible to beta test the new IPG and Whole Home PVR features.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about if one has multiple 8642HD PVRs already? I have 3 in the house one for each TV. Can I network all of them?

The Flyer says up to 8 PVRs are compatible with the new system

·
Registered
81 Posts
Will It Work in an Apartment/Condo Building?

Hi.

Silly question perhaps, but will the Whole Home PVR work for people in apartments/condos? i.e. Will Rogers be able to install the filters on a per unit basis, or do they have to contact the Property Manager?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
They are asking people to call in after Feb 7th to book the install. I can just see the delays getting a hold of someone on that day. They should have opened up the appointments immediately. Also, the ability to book a slot online would seem a bit more like 2012. I personally like to enter details myself and see that it's been done correctly, rather than believing some CSR.

Oh, and I see someone else created a thread to talk about the new EPG which was quickly closed and redirected to this thread. I believe there should be 2 threads for this. 1 for Whole home PVR and one for the new UI/EPG. They are 2 different things, even though they involve the same boxes (8642/4642). Everyone will get the new UI/EPG automatically (without any additional fees), while the Whole Home PVR requires an install (and therefore a 1 time fee).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
What about if one has multiple 8642HD PVRs already? I have 3 in the house one for each TV. Can I network all of them?

The Flyer says up to 8 PVRs are compatible with the new system
The internal documents indicate you can only network up to only 2 8642s and up to 6 4642s simultaneously. However the website for customers seem to indicate otherwise :/

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
sammey: the filter is a special filter and its installed in the main entrance cable feed in your home.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No, only one filter is required and they typically install it in the basement where the cable line comes into the house and is split off to the various rooms.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Filters

Thanks you Paolo and RSV007 for your reply.
If I may ask one more question, I have five boxes in my house 3x8300 PVR's and 2x 3200. If I wish too still use my 3200 will the filter affect them or should they be connected ahead of the filter. I know the 8300 must be changed for 8642HD PVR's.
Thanks again, as noted I am a rookie but this forum will be great help in my decision to go with the whole home setup.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I looked at pamphlet/web site and some one correct me if I'm wrong here but the way I read it you can have

2 HD PVR boxes
6 HD boxes
8 boxes in total cpnected to this network.

Correct? :confused:

This Whole Home PVR appears to be only gor HD?

If you have a 8642 PVR but 3200 SD boes your out of luck. So basically need to have all your boxes HD regardles if you have HD TV at home or not.

So if you have 1 HD TV but the rest iofyour tvs are SD TO BAD you can't get the service.

41 - 60 of 997 Posts