Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We had someone from Rogers post pictures of the high-res IPG a while back (at least a year) when they were testing it in their labs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've seen it too in a beta test. It appears only the newer Cisco boxes will have it, but i could be wrong. I'm thinking the older series of SA boxes may have incompatible hardware.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Only cisco terminals will be getting the updated UIs. The cisco hardware is also required for the whole home pvr service as it works over MoCA which is not supported on the SA equipment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd like to see what the new guide looks like too. My thought is that those that do have access to the IPG have been told not to disclose any information / pictures until it's actually released.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Considering Rogers track record regarding new or attempts to (slowly) improve technologies I would not hold my breath (Quick Start Guide, Remote TV Manager, RODO etc)...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
they have spent all the money training the techs on the new system they will be launched soon!!!!!! mid feb ! i dont have anypics of the new ipg! @ this time if i can get my hands on a pic soon i will post!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're right - under strict NDAs. Theres been a couple of rounds of beta testing (i.e. versions of the software) since early December.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anything that will need a tech to touch anything on my network will not happen. I have too many things running on my network to have someone with a couple hours of training mess it up and then i have to fix it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
why do you say that? there was a lot of improvements made in the second pass of download. is it ready for primetime? no - it's not. but I'd say it's close.
I would think that something like that to be rolled out to millions of customers would need extensive testing (more than a couple of months beta testing). If it is ready - that's great. Perhaps Rogers will (for once) surprise me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would think that something like that to be rolled out to millions of customers would need extensive testing
You would think so but Rogers testing is essentially, give the box to some friends and families and let them play with it for a while. Nice to have "real world" testing but typically it's not rigorous.

Since it requires techs, it will probably only be installed in a few homes (i.e./ senior execs) and really won't be thoroughly tested until it gets into consumers hands.

·
Registered
570 Posts
To be honest Rogers testing is not so grand. Lets look back a little bit, Anyone still recall the HSUD (Hard Drive Spinning Up and Down) Issue with 8300's and now 8642's? Well it took them well over a year but they pushed new firmware for the 8300's that leaves the drive on all the time, was that seriously difficult to implement? I highly doubt it was that much effort to rework the firmware to leave the drive on all the time. As for the 8642 well that's another story as they haven't even acknowledged that it also has the problem as the 8300 (I own both and the issue still exists in the 8642)

Chances of Rogers getting this to work the first time is going to take 10 years, Look at the IPG same for almost 10 years? At least now the new series 8300,8642 at least got an update to the guide, it is better then nothing, but to be honest I will not be holding my breath for this new whole home PVR it will most likely be more problematic then anything else.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You are likely correct. The first adopters will likely experience bugginess with the firmware. Weird stuff will pop-up with the system, something that can't be tested for in the lab. Real world experiences will determine the real issues.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There are actual customers who are testing the system out. How many there are i'm not quite sure but they are under strict NDA, hence the fact that no images have surfaced on this forum yet.

21 - 40 of 997 Posts