Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There

423K views 2K replies 190 participants last post by  marvin23 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57 - 2016.03.26:

This thread was developed when the RTN firmware was new. Rogers has pushed the new Navigatr firmware to 8642 and 9865 PVRs & 4642 STBs. (NB2, NB3) Search for Navigatr on this forum to see the new threads on that topic. This thread has been closed and unstuck.

Here's a link to the Rogers info on the new IPG - please read these instructions before asking how to do something since most items are outlined here:

http://rogers-tv-enhancements.com/tips.html

To discuss the Whole Home PVR, please use the following thread:

Whole Home PVR in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here's a link for the latest issues and other relevant information regarding the new firmware/IPG. Thanks to viper359 for this summary and the tips that follow the summary.

New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Well, its not a rumour anymore. I just got something in the mail. I am about to scan it and post it here for you folks.

Edit by 57. I have split these firmware/IPG discussions from the "Whole Home" thread since they can apply to any 8642 or 4642.

See less See more
#4 ·
looks like they finally got the QSG to work on the x642 series boxes. that means caller id too?

as for the channel icons, i would rather them have the full call letters such as HGTV and a little (HD) graphic to differentiate between hd and sd vers of the same channel, rather than cramming the call leters like HHGTV, etc.. makes more sense.

#5 ·
There still is NO caller id on cisco boxes @ this time these boxes are being called hybird boxes! enhanced ect... because they are able to be networked with other ciscos! i know for a fact there will be issues this as all new products have issues! but this will put a bit of a pinch in bell fibe!

#7 ·
No difference than the 8642HD already deployed. I am a beta tester for the new IPG and the Whole home PVR and I didn't need to switch out my 8642HD PVR and 4642HD terminals. The technician has to install a filter in the basement where the coax cable comes into the house and is split off to the different rooms. The filter allows the boxes to communicate with each other.

I also got the notice of the new IPG & Whole Home PVR features in the mail today. The beta testing for the IPG started in December and late December for the Whole Home PVR. Apparently, Roger employees were the first guinea pigs for the Whole Home PVR in Ontario. I was the first batch of customers that got the feature as beta testers.

Rogers still has a few bugs to iron out. The new IPG was real sluggish at the beginning with lots of features missing. But 2 versions later, it is coming along.

#8 ·
Has (anyone) received the updated firmware with the new IPG ?

If so, where are you located ?

I'd love to know what the rollout schedule is - and what areas will be done first.

I am looking forward to the new 16:9 aspect ratio guide here in Ottawa !

#11 ·
exactly what rvs said..

and also as the flyers in the mail said.. the new guides deploying early next week and by the time February 7th hits, all customers will be able to search for shows by better and more efficiently...its a cleaner and more fluid IPG with a weather application as well

the 49.99 install fee for the Whole Home PVR is a one time charge for new and existing customers. for new customers subscribing to cable will have the whole home pvr installation included in that. just has to be requested before hand so the technician has the filters ready to be applied to the necessary boxes.

#14 ·
@timberland29: No, the guide only shows programming for the next 7 days just like before.

@Cybr9: Although I don't have multiple PVRs in my set up, I don't see why not. You can assign a unique name for each PVR & terminal (e.g. Living Room, Family Room, Bedroom, etc.) and every terminal/PVR has the ability to see recordings from other PVRs within the Whole Home network. So I'm pretty sure it is possible.

#18 ·
I was a beta tester as well. I'm shocked that they've released this in it's current form. The guide is glacial, there are times when it's literally 5+ seconds after I press a key such as Rewind, List or Guide before anything appears on screen. I'll often have hit the key a second time out of reflex thinking I missed the key or didn't have the remote pointed in the right direction, only to see the guide pop up and then change or disappear right away.

They also killed the slow motion, and single frame stepping modes, which I used all the time. I really hate that this is gone.

Navigating the recorded list is a real chore, as it doesn't remember your place. IE, say you've recorded 2 shows of House to watch. You bring up the list, scroll down and down and down to House, then choose the folder to see the 2 episodes. You watch one, then after the show is over, it pops up a list of choices, delete etc. You choose Delete.

It *should* take you back to the House folder, ready to watch the next one. Instead, it takes you back to the root. Which means scrolling scrolling scrolling to get to the folder, choose the folder, scroll to the episode to watch...

The same thing happens when you want to delete a bunch of files. I often get a bunch of duplicates from Record All, or I give up on a show. Scroll to the folder, choose it to go inside, delete the first one. It should stay there, to make it easy to watch or record the same show. But no, back to the root folder. Which means scrolling scrolling scrolling to get back to where you just were.

The guide looks nice, but it's really inefficient space wise. There's so much room on screen, but everything is just stretched wider or taller. I should easily be able to see more than one hour in the guide now that we're widescreen. And just 5 channels? Easily could have been more.

The one excellent new feature is the Search. Being able to search for actors and specific shows is great.

#20 ·
@M.Richards: My feedback back to Rogers were similar to your observations. But the first beta release of the IPG was even slower, so to me, it has already been "improved". When the technician was over installing the Whole Home PVR, I made the comment about how sluggish the IPG feels, and he said it should get better when it is released into the general public. I hope he's right, or Rogers will have a lot of pissed off customers (especially when this is being force-fed to all their customers who do not have a choice).

#21 ·
Wait ... folders? We get folders with this?

M.Richards, please expand -- are these just automatic "folders" based on the show name (i.e. all episodes of "House" in the "House" folder) or can you set up folders and direct which recordings go where? The former is nice as it will reduce the amount of scrolling you have to do, but the latter would allow me to segregate kid programs from parent programs, which I really want (and perhaps give some kind of PIN/password protection).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.