Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I guess the IP connectivity is for the folks that have abandoned their land lines altogether. At least they have another option now.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Mine is still at V183 too. I don't suppose they added the "grouping" feature to the EHD, like the internal disk can do (where you group like programs into folders)?

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Yes, i now have grouping on the EXT HD. Best feature about the firmware update that I can find!!
Awesome! Should make managing the bigger disks much better.

The new IP features should open the door to online PVR scheduling, which I think Dish does now.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
What about the LCD interference issue that's been described here? Do those with the problem have LCD televisions? What happens if you cover the IR sensors on the front of the 9242 with black tape (or something dark). Does the problem stop? Same with the UHF antenna. Does removing it help?

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I think they have. Mine is still at V183 as well. Is everyone that was updated having this issue, or just some of you?

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
This is why everyone should have a Plasma Television ;)

Seriously though, they should be able to fix this quickly since it's fairly obvious what's happening.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I was updated today as well. So far no funny business with the IR port.

Once annoyance has returned however. When I press the PVR button for the first time - if I haven't been to the PVR menu in a while - there is a delay while it checks my EHD. I can see the lights begin flashing on the EHD. About 3-4 seconds later the menu appears. This was a problem two software releases ago. They fixed it in the last one, and now it's back.

I don't really think the subtle change to the Guide Top information bar is better than it was. I prefer the old look.

Just my two cents.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
(4) As far as the boxes randomly changing channels, IR light from the TV is basically random. To have the box change channels would require the LCD to emit the special SIRCS codes for that box which is not possible. Perhaps the box is receiving the IR light and reacting based on perceived “noise?”
He makes a good point here. You would think there would a be a very specific code for the receiver to respond. I could see it interfering with a press of a button from the remote, but for this noise to mimic the remote responses seems unlikely. Back in Bell's court I guess.

I'm surprised they continue the roll-out despite the problem. I imagine it's generating a lot of support calls.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I doubt there is more than one V184. Look under System Setup (6) -> Installation(1) -> Connectivity(4) for the Broadband setup.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
2) Deleting items from the PVR appears to be taking quite a bit longer.
When deleting a program, in addition to being slow, it appears to access my EHD as well (EHD LED flashes), similar to what it does when you access the PVR. Seems to be doing more things that it needs to when those functions are accessed. I hope an update will fix them to. I wish they would test this stuff before releasing it!

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Just some general advice not directed at anyone in particular. If a replacement receiver is behaving exactly the same as the one it replaced, the problem is likely with something else! Signal issues can make the receiver behave oddly for example. For those of you on your third or fourth receiver, try something else.

-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.