Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the 9242 has received a new firmware update V184.

I noticed it when the Favourite List now is highlighted.

Any other changes?

Edit by 57. Many people are having problems with the PVR acting erratically - channels changing by itself, turning on/off, info/guide coming up, etc.

This is due to changes in the firmware which causes IR interference from other devices (like LCD TVs) to impact the PVR more than before. Read the following post on the problem carefully and thoroughly. It also outlines the many solutions discussed in this thread. Bell are aware of the issue and are working on a solution, however, in the meantime, if you have an LCD TV, using the proper settings will help with the problem (and provide you with better picture quality too). This is not really a new problem, but it has been exacerbated by the new firmware.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

It would be nice if people were to post the other positive or negative changes that came with the new firmware.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was going through the menu.

Found Self Serve (was that before?), Pressed on the ON DEMAND option and it said loading the interactive application. I pressed CANCEL and the whole thing crashed.

I now have a big black screen and a crashed unit.

EDIT: Wow. Pressed power button on 9242 but would not reset. Had to unplug the unit to get it working again.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dc1977, it was when I pressed Cancel that it crashed. Can't believe you guys at Bell didn't test what would happen if you pressed Cancel while it was loading!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6-1-4 (connectivity), you will see an option for broadband, which allows for ip callouts for pay per view etc assuming you have it plugged into a router.
Plugged in an Ethernet Cable and it picked up an IP address. Can't set Receiver Nickname, It says enter nickname but nothing works and you have to cancel out. Why have the option if you can't set it?

Tried the Channels On Demand Application. Seems just like an app to order channels which seems like a waste when you can just call or go online. In addition, the screen is all messed up when it first loads.

I tried the Cancel again when loading and it failed gracefully. I assume they never tested Cancel on the first try suggesting it will fail on the first try and work on subsequent attempts. If so, then its a rookie testing mistake.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In summary, I can't find anything noteworthy in this update.

The Channels on Demand seems like a waste of programming time and effort and driven by senior marketing types. I would prefer to see some work being done on Slingbox or Archos connectivity.

I guess the order PPV without the need for a home phone connection is interesting but if folks don't have a phone line to their receiver, what makes you think they are going to have an ethernet connection at their box.

If it fixes some bugs then presumably that benefits some users so that's positive.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
taxtwit, no conspiracy but to answer your question "yes it would" but I doubt Bell is monitoring to ensure that your IP address correlates to your physical address.

Anybody who is pirating or account splitting is not going to be plugging in their receiver to a phone jack or an ethernet port.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.
I don't know where you hang out but how many living rooms do you go into that have an HTPC hooked up to an HDTV?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
CrazyCdn, hard drives need more power than an optical mouse or keyboard. The need for a drive with a separate power supply has been discussed on many other threads so lets keep the discussion focused on the update please.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Please lets stick to discussing the firmware update and issues and not wish lists.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
New functionality in the 9242 that I hate is that pressing Guide multiple times does not switch the guide to the next favourite. Instead it brings up a dialog box that forces you to then select the Guide you want.

I hate it.

Anyone know if you can switch back to the old behaviour?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Hugh: Go to menu 8-2 (Preferences-Favourites) You can go back to the other way of changing the Guide type.
Thanks DrewSat.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
this issue is not specific to a particular make/model of TV.
Well Drewsat suggested it was only Sony and asked if anyone other than Sony owners were having problems hence why folks were noting the brands they own.

Since so many sets have similar features and many are made in the same plant and rebrand them, I am not surprised that its more than just Sony.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
So... I guess this post should include a partial apology to 57
scarybob, how about a complete apology to 57?

He knows a hell of lot more about these issues than anyone on these forums and has worked hard at highlighting these issues and helping members with them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
from Sony Canada who asked me to post this.

(1) CCFL backlights in an LCD emits IR light, and this occasionally has been observed to cause IR reception issues with connected equipment, provided this equipment’s IR receiver is being “illuminated” by the LCD light.

(2) This primarily can occur when the backlight setting is very low (at around minimum setting). The backlight’s brightness is determined by voltage applied to the CCFL’s. When the CCFL brightness is low, then the IR light is more similar to that expected by IR receives in A/V equipment.

(3) The light sensor does not “spray” IR radiation. It is a monitoring device that measures the amount of ambient room light coming into it at the face of the TV. When the room is dark, the light sensor determines that ambient room is dark and lowers the backlight to reduce eye strain.

(4) As far as the boxes randomly changing channels, IR light from the TV is basically random. To have the box change channels would require the LCD to emit the special SIRCS codes for that box which is not possible. Perhaps the box is receiving the IR light and reacting based on perceived “noise?”

(5) When the TV is first turned on from a cold condition, the IR light can be more similar to that expected by IR receivers, but it improves in a matter of minutes.

(6) Turning OFF the light sensor results in the backlight not going to a low state. VIVID and STANDARD picture modes have a higher backlight setting than CINEMA or CUSTOM. The statement about changing to VIVID mode is incorrect in our observations. CINEMA and CUSTOM modes can be also be used with the backlight setting raised.

(7) Common countermeasures, in addition to making sure the backlight is not at minimum, are: moving the set top box out of the path of the LCD light, adding a filter to IR port of the set top box or in some cases increasing the IR output of the set top box remote commander.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
YAB - Yet another bug

New functionality in the 9242 that I hate is that pressing Guide multiple times does not switch the guide to the next favourite. Instead it brings up a dialog box that forces you to then select the Guide you want.

Supposedly if you Go to menu 8-2 (Preferences-Favourites) You can go back to the other way of changing the Guide type.

BUG: It only changes behavior while the unit is on. Everytime my son and I go to change the favourites, we get the dialog box again no matter how many times we've gone 8-2 etc..

Very Frustrating and very annoying!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Bell has their reasons.
I suspect they are spending a zillion dollars on advertising come the Olympics and they likely are going to be promoting new features such as the Remote Access for you PVR which is embedded in this update hence there is no way they will roll it back.

That's the problem when marketing decides when firmware updates will go live and not quality assurance.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I've never done anything to change how my Favourites behave, and every time I press Guide, it switches to the next list. No dialog box. On V184 now.
Count your blessings I suppose!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I'm not complaining about the new functionality. We just want the ability to have it function the way it used to and stay that way after we make the change!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Please post in the V185 Firmware Update discussion thread if you have received the V185 firmware update.

Do not post asking when you will get V185. It will happen between today and Saturday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.