Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
V184

The new software enables the IP connection on the receiver. Customers can now connect a cable from their broadband router to the receiver allowing them to purchase PPV.

Caller ID and Interactive service (iTV) purchases still require a phone line.

The V184 upgrade also will help those 9242 users that had difficulty accessing their external hard drives when they were almost full.

We're slowly rolling out the upgrade to 9242s. All receivers should be upgraded by the end of next week.

I'll keep a closer eye on this thread for a bit to answer any questions you might have about it.

Drewsat

·
Banned
181 Posts
Hugh,

I've tried several times this afternoon to reproduce the crashing you're seeing and can't reproduce it. I'll bring it up to the software team to look into it. They might have better (un)luck. I'm sorry you're receiver's behaving that way.

Taxtwit: I don't think we're part of a large conspiracy to find out where your receiver is but it sounds like an interesting premise for a movie or novel. I would call it "The Net" and have somebody like Sandra Bullock star....Wait a minute....

Tom: Can we chat over PM? I'd like to get more details from you to find out about your set-up so I can help you get this resolved.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Two more changes I forgot to include:

The Recordings list is now under a Multimedia menu found in the Main Menu.

The receivers should support external hard drives up to 1.5TB. The usual requirements still apply: USB 2.0, self-powered, 7200 RPM, no power saving shut-down, etc.

The latter might be welcome news to external hard drive enthusiasts.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Just would like to clarify a few things:

The Channels on Demand interactive feature has been available since 2006 or so. The Self-Serve menu simply allows you to access that application and the iTV home page from a central location.

A software upgrade has also been sent out to some 9241s enabling the ethernet connection for PPV purchases, HomeComm, and EHD support. All 9241s will be upgraded by end of week as well.

·
Banned
181 Posts
New functionality in the 9242 that I hate is that pressing Guide multiple times does not switch the guide to the next favourite. Instead it brings up a dialog box that forces you to then select the Guide you want.

I hate it.

Anyone know if you can switch back to the old behaviour?
Hugh: Go to menu 8-2 (Preferences-Favourites) You can go back to the other way of changing the Guide type.

It was added because many, many people were hitting the guide button several times and unaware they were on the HD Only list. They would think that they lost channels and were calling for help.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Yeah, the firmware changed the sensitivity to IR. It seems to be affecting mostly people with LCD TVs and mostly people who have left the LCD in default picture modes, high backlight levels, etc. These are items that should be changed when you get the TV home, but probably 90+% of people don't do. I believe it's easy to test if you unplug/turn off the TV and the lights on the PVR return to normal. (too bad the PVR has no "display" on the device itself.)

The people who are actually discussing the "features" of the new firmware in this thread (and not the IR problem) are likely people who don't have LCDs, or have set them up properly.
Thanks to everybody who has shared their comments about the remote control issue.

We're finding that Sony users have to turn off the Light Sensor option in the General Settings options in the menu. This feature seems to affect the receiver, especially when the TV and receiver are in a darkly lit room. The problem goes away once this option is turned off.
Although if you go back into the Sony TV main menu that seems to affect the receiver until you leave the TV menu.

Of those that are seeing this issue, is anybody not using Sony?

·
Banned
181 Posts
I never had any automatic picture controls (OPC?) enabled and the problem still occurred. I wonder what they would say to that?

More correctly, it's only fixable from their end by downloading new firmware to the receiver. Since the problem is the firmware in the receiver, technically, it is a receiver problem until they fix the firmware.
Optimal Picture Control perhaps.

Depending on your TV, it might be called something like Light Source (Sony) and JVC or Toshiba might be Dynamic Contrast Control. If you're running a non-LCD you're not likely going to be affected.

·
Banned
181 Posts
new software to be deployed

Folks,

We're deploying software to 9242s to a segment of users today to address the IR sensor picking up the TV's IR signals.

The plan is to deploy software to all users by Saturday afternoon.

Software version is V185.

We know that this has been frustrating and do appreciate everybody's patience and their assistance in the forum.

Drewsat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.