Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Is there anyway to dis-able interactive completely?
I locked out all the interactive channels. It works until they add a new one that needs to be locked out.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the ethernet connection will also function as a "receiver locator" for Bell
The phone line requirement is actually more effective to determine receiver location and has been around for years. The IP will let Bell know who your ISP is though.

In summary, I can't find anything noteworthy in this update.
That doesn't surprise me at all. For once, I would like to see an update that fixes all the outstanding bugs without adding more crud that creates new bugs or brings back old ones that were fixed on a previous update.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it.
Doing a reboot after a firmware upgrade should be standard practice. I wouldn't expect any device to operate properly after a firmware upgrade and no reboot, though some might. Cashed code and data can often be in the wrong location or become invalid after an upgrade to a running application. After all, these are not fault tolerant or high availability devices we are dealing with here.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell will be held responsible for any damage to receivers from an update they send.
That's not going to happen. According to the agreement everyone signs when subscribing, Bell can do what they want with the firmware. I've seen much, much worse than this and nothing ever happened. If you call Bell, they might give you a month's programming credit on your bill. It sounds like they are trying to fix this ASAP, I've seen worse firmware than this go out with no fix for almost a year.

Now I'm left trying to figure out what settings work best on a Bravia KDL-52W4100 series
As mentioned, turn off any automatic settings. These go by different names on each TV but can usually be found under the video menu. Then set the video mode to "Movie" for all inputs. That's a very basic initial setup for new TVs.

I choose the custom or user video mode. Then I set the brightness at 50%, the contrast at 100% and then reduce the back light level to a setting where where dark grays are just discernible. To do a better job of calibration, a calibration DVD or special equipment may be necessary but I find that to be a good starting point for LCD TVs.

Edit: It appears that the issue on Sony Bravia TVs is caused by "Sony Bravia Auto Ambient Light". Turn it off. On any other TVs, if they have any sort of "electric eye" automatic picture settings, turn them off.

I suspect this is being caused by the TV picking up the IR from the remote and echoing it by changing picture brightness. The 9242 then picks this up as another IR remote command. At any rate, the 9242 seems to be overly sensitive to changing IR levels from the TV display.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
[email protected]#$ %^&* Bell Updates

Roll out of the v184 update has not stopped. It was downloaded to my 9242 this morning. I noticed it happening when the receiver was turned off. Bell Idiots?! :confused:

There were some issues, like invalid guide data, until the receiver was rebooted. Why Bell didn't program a reboot after the update is another issue that needs to be addressed.

The key repeat issue now occurs on about 1/3 of the key presses. That's a real PITA and it will drive the better half crazy. Then she will than drive me crazy complaining about it. Not a good situation. :eek:

After playing with this awhile, I am convinced that it is NOT being caused by the TV. Here is why... I run my TV in a fairly "dark" mode, with the back light on a very low setting. Like I said, about 1/3 of the keystrokes repeated. I then turned the TV back light up to 10 (max) to see if it got worse (as reported here.) The key repeat problem virtually disappeared. Turning the back light back down caused the key repeat issue to return.

Here is my analysis after first hand experience. Someone broke the key bounce elimination code in the firmware. For those not familiar, key bounce is caused by mechanical issues when keys are pressed on keyboards or remotes. Duplicate signals can be sent by input devices but are filtered out. De-bouncing is a term used for the elimination of unwanted repeat key strokes that are too close together to be caused by normal human key presses. (De-bouncing can also be done in the input device itself but some remotes don't have a lot of circuitry.)

While TV settings do have some influence over the severity of the issue, TV settings or the TV itself are not the cause of the issue. It's a problem with the firmware.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
57, I have read the entire thread. If it were a TV issue, it would have been present prior to v184. The fact that my experience is opposite to that of some other people only reinforces my conclusions:

ScaryBob said:
While TV settings do have some influence over the severity of the issue, TV settings or the TV itself are not the cause of the issue. It's a problem with the firmware.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Gremlins? What gremlins?

Now the key repeat issue has now disappeared. In the meantime, I went through all the receiver menus, changed the menu selection to put up a list and changed some channel locks. I also changed the TV picture settings slightly (reset the movie mode and increased the back light level by one number.) The sun also went down and it started to snow. I figure it's one of those things but there are tooo many variables to isolate just one thing. :confused:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I never had any automatic picture controls (OPC?) enabled and the problem still occurred. I wonder what they would say to that?

"the problem is on their end, not with the receiver"
More correctly, it's only fixable from their end by downloading new firmware to the receiver. Since the problem is the firmware in the receiver, technically, it is a receiver problem until they fix the firmware.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I once had a TV that would lock up when I pressed a certain button on another remote. The only way to reset it was by unplugging. It also turned on when the sun set. So I am aware of IR issues (and that was many years ago, before this forum or even a public internet existed.) Was that the fault of the other remote, the sun or the TV? My case rests with blaming the TV.

At any rate, the sun came up and the 9242 started acting up again. ;) It turned itself off and on and did a couple of other random things. I also realized that the TV was warming up. That means the back light was gradually shifting frequencies and possibly hitting some frequency the 9242 was sensitive to in the process. That could also explain why the repeating keys stopped when I turned the back light up one notch since it would change the frequency of the back light slightly. So... I guess this post should include a partial apology to 57. IR from the TV is playing a bigger role than I thought. IMHO, the fact that the 9242 is sensitive to random IR is still a fault of the 9242, not the TV.

This could also explain why observations are so inconsistent and why automatic picture adjustments play a role. The 9242 could be sensitive to certain frequencies that are emitted by the TVs back light only at certain brightness levels. (Remote IR receivers work at a single frequency by design so it makes some sense.) It also offers a further refinement on a possible work around. That is to adjust the TV back light levels up or down slightly until the symptoms disappear. That should be done after any automatic picture controls are disabled.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
To have the box change channels would require the LCD to emit the special SIRCS codes for that box which is not possible.
I wouldn't say it is impossible. It is, however, highly improbable. The frequency of deterministic key events (repeats) and random key events with the 9242 is virtually impossible and precludes random noise as a cause of errors due to SIRCS codes.

When the TV is first turned on from a cold condition, the IR light can be more similar to that expected by IR receivers, but it improves in a matter of minutes.
This primarily can occur when the backlight setting is very low (at around minimum setting).
These match my experience. However, that sends me back to the first statement which indicates that the SIRCS codes for the 9242 should be required for the TV backlight to trigger IR events on the 9242. We are now back to defective firmware in the 9242 as the cause of the problem. The 9242 is acting like some early IR remote devices that were made before SIRCS codes were commonly used. That draws me to conclude that someone broke the IR processing code in firmware (v184.)

like other users have, how annoying the delay when pushing the PVR button as it accesses the EHD is, especially when this was fixed in the previous release.
I also had this issue with v183. The wait time appears to increase with the number of events on the drive. I suspect that the events are read or validated from files on disk when the external drive is accessed. That doesn't preclude something else causing delays but could be a factor.

After playing a show on the EHD, I WISH the Delete button was available.
One of my pet peeves as well. That's along with the 9242's inability to keep track of the event that was previously selected and played. I suspect that these are related. Otherwise, the delete button could result in the wrong event being deleted.

on phone with Bell right now! got message saying hard drive was corrupted and all recordings needed to be erased!!!!!!
Disk consistency checks are often tied to firmware updates. The disk was probably corrupted due to previous firmware issues and needs to be repaired. That can result in one or more lost programs. In the worst case, the disk must be reformatted and everything is lost (including timers.)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That sounds like it could be an HDMI handshaking issue or 9242 playback issue. I would unplug the 9242 and the TV for a minute or two to reset them. I would also reset any intermediary devices like AV receivers or HDMI switches and make sure the HDMI cables are firmly seated.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You could be right. It's more likely a 9242 playback issue. In theory, HDMI can pass non-protected content without HDCP handshaking but block protected content. I don't know how the 9242 works in such a situation so it's just speculative. In any event, I would unplug/reset the 9242 and proceed from there.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It seems like Bell has done what people have been asking them to do for over a year now and taken out the code that would cause your PVR to Hard Reset if the EHD hit 0H00M and have instead put in an error message that will stop you from archiving when you actually run out of space.
That message has always been there. I've seen it on several occasions. It's just that the 9242 would not always detect and handle the full drive situation properly and disk corruption was the result.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I took a sheet of plain white paper out of my printer and taped it in front of the IR sensor.
Small Post-Its are handy for things like this. ;)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell has their reasons. I suspect that firmware upgrades brick X number of receivers and generate Y amount of service calls, no matter what is in the code. There are also business critical updates in some firmware revisions. Rolling back will just make the situation that much worse for some. Like I said earlier, I've seen much worse firmware go out than this and the same lack of support from Bell. They usually start by either denying the problems or by sending out a pile of unnecessary refurbs. Then they realize they cannot cover it up any more and start promising an update. Sometimes it can take months for a fix to arrive. If it's any consolation, at least its only a remote issue and not drive corruption or unrecoverable receiver failure, as has happened in the past.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A 1TB drive provides about 30 hours more HD space than a 750GB drive. (IIRC, the numbers are about 120hr vs 90hr but that may have changed with changes in encoding.) There may be other things going on with andyk's drive such as drive table corruption or a possible bug with SD programming.

BTW, 1.5TB drives also work with the 9242 and provide double the capacity of a 750GB drive or about 180hr HD.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
when it says you have 0 hours left, there is space available which you can use by continuing to archive
My experience is exactly the opposite. The drive has run out of space when it reached 0 hours. Maybe they changed this to get around the drive full bug, maybe it's an artifact of other changes or maybe the drive has some corruption.

I wouldn't continue to archive after the drive reaches 0 hours. I wouldn't even archive until it reaches 0 hours. A lot of people have been affected by the 'drive full bug' which causes loss of everything on the drive. It has not been reported recently but my experience is that bugs are usually not totally eliminated on these PVRs.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'm surprised that I've only seen you two guys and a Princie1 comment on these EHDs.
This is an outdated thread. It was replaced by the v185 thread some time ago and that was replaced by the v186 thread more recently. There is also a thread for EHD issues which might be more appropriate.

It would be nice to see a poll on the site that asked how may people have had their drives corrupt or suffered from data loss after they archived past 0:00:00 and who was able to access the additional drive space. Maybe Hugh could make this happen.
Anyone can post a poll. The only exception may be very new members. Any poll would need to be qualified by the firmware release to make it significant.

My experiences with drive losses relate to earlier firmware, mostly prior to v184. Drive corruption reports have diminished significantly since then. I haven't managed to completely fill up the EHD since v184 was released, nor do I want to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.