Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I’m in Kanata and it’s coming in fine here. I just checked and no issues.
For give me, but you are 300 kms away from this transmitter and your are receiving it OTA? Tropo maybe?

This transmitter site is near Sarnia Ontario so you must have one heck of an OTA setup.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Global TV - Oil Springs

Global TV transmitter, Oil Springs has changed broadcast frequency (29 -> 35) and the transmitting antenna is 50 feet lower than previous. This explains our inability to receive the signal at our location.

Likely done to prevent interference with WVIZ Cleveland which INCREASED ERP to 280 kW and moved from 26 -> 35.

Looks like some households now will be without Global OTA.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Coverage pattern on the new antenna has changed and puts more signal to the North.
Rob, I figured as much. This was likely done to protect WVIZ Cleveland which also had a large power increase.

So......this is now two Canadian networks (CBC & Global) now MIA for OTA viewers in SW Ontario. Looks like there won't be much OTA in Canada soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Make sure that you let Global know. Without feedback they won't act to improve coverage.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Make sure that you let Global know. Without feedback they won't act to improve coverage.
Jase88, I called Global and they put me through to engineering. I left voice mail about the situation. That was a week ago and I haven't had any response. I've also sent two emails, with no response from the broadcaster. They just don't care.

My next action will be to write the CCTS and file a formal complaint. Stay tuned (pun intended).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
According to the CRTC site. There will be a decision on some of Global's transmitters

Decision relating to the following application considered under the Commission’s Part 1 process:

Corus Entertainment Inc.
Deletion of transmitters and reallocation of tangible benefits
Public record for this application: 2018-0936-0

I believe this in relation to many of their remaining analog transmitters. Not sure if this will also cover the LTSS program.

·
Registered
74 Posts
LONsat you are correct and this decision does not include LTSS. The only transmitters they are asking to close in Ontario are Smiths Falls and Bancroft ch. 4 [CHEX repeater]

·
Registered
74 Posts
A number of those transmitters Corus is shutting down have already been converted to digital. So *in theory* they should be able to move these transmitters to other sites that have yet to convert [eg Oshawa]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can confirm that 36 Smiths Falls is now off air.

Also, Prescott/Spencerville is now in digital RF 28, though it maps to 26.1. The picture is digital and 16x9 but it sure does not look HD.
Is there anyone that can confirm this?
Maybe they have to upgrade a receiver or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been keeping tabs on the digital conversion of OTA television stations in various parts of Ontario. Any word whether the CHEX-TV-2 Oshawa transmitter has been updated to HD? Industry Canada indicated it was supposed to have been completed by June 2019.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes it has, and its moved to RF29 at extremely low power. I've never been able to receive it, although I was always able to pick up the analog signal.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts