Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing is happening out here in Manotick (part of Ottawa area).

Just when poof !

Nothing but blank screen - my OTA and TVs both act as if the signal doesn't exist.

Funny that there doesn't appear to be any announcements or whatever.

I guess OTA people don't matter .....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, scanned this morning and Global is indeed at 41.1 and 41.2.

And, I now do recall some time back a notice of relocation of several stations by 2020 or so. I guess Global is making the move.

Looks like it's resolved. Thanks for the reports. Great group!

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Global hasn't physically changed channels. Likely a PSIP issue with the transmitter. They appear to have mirrored settings from their Toronto transmitter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That might well be the case.

My TV is currently reporting "Physical Channel 14", which I think was the same before this recent change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
About an hour ago, 41.1 and 41.2 (Global Ottawa) disappeared (see above posts), and the 1080 feed seems to be back at 6.1 (no 6.2 so far).

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
It looks like Global Winnipeg dropped the SD sub-channel and is now using the full bandwidth for the HD channel. I noticed the recordings on my PC got larger starting early last week and the picture quality looks better. To rephrase that, we used to have 9.1 HD and 9.2 SD and it appears we just have 9.1 now.

Can anyone else confirm the same results for Global Winnipeg or any other Global station?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I see that CKWS and CHEX both became full time affiliates of Global today.
This is a little disappointing for me because I already get Global from their powerful transmitter north of Cobourg on 27.
So that makes the CKWS transmitter in Brighton on 30 redundant. My two most powerful stations are now Global.
Also now CHEX and Global on 27 in the same market seems kind of odd. Other than news they are the same.
I will miss the reliable reception of CTV. CFTO 9 can sometimes be difficult. Frankly the programming on CTV is better.
Are they really going keep CHEX, CKWS Brighton and Global 27 broadcasting all in the same market?

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are in a similar situation in Belleville. Our set of channels before the change with CKWS was:
6 CJOH CTV (analog, snowy but watchable)
11 CKWS CTV (mirror of 30)
26 TVO
27 Global
30 CKWS CTV

Now with 11 and 30 showing Global our selection has tanked. We really liked the selection of shows that CTV has.

Oh well, at least we have books, the internet and the Library.

I came across an announcement after the change:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4407287/ckws-to-officially-become-global-station-as-of-monday-august-27/

-David-

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Corus has asked the CRTC for permission to shut down 44 TV transmitters

Corus Entertainment has asked the CRTC, in application 2018-0936-0, if it can shut down 44 of its 93 Global TV Over-the-Air rebroadcasting transmitters across the country. Of the 44, 20 of the transmitters are still broadcasting in analog and 24 were migrated to digital. Of the $23 million promised to convert all of its transmitters to DTV, $2.3 million has not been spent, so Corus is proposing that that money be given to the Canada Media Fund and various industry associations and journalism departments.

A full description of the proposed shut down (including a complete list of transmitters) can be found in the following article:

Corus asks CRTC to shut down 44 Global TV transmitters

Interestingly, CKWS-TV-3 Smiths Falls and CHEX-TV-1 Bancroft (not originally GLobal TV stations) are included in the list of transmitters to shut down. It also appears (according to the above article) as if the following analog transmitters will remain broadcasting:

• CKTN-TV Trail,BC (18,000W) — To be converted to digital
  • CIII-TV-2 Bancroft,ON (100,000W)
  • CHEX-TV-2 Oshawa,ON (5,500W)
  • CKWS-TV-2 Prescott,ON (7,200W)
  • CIHF-TV-5 Wolfville,NS (166,000W) — To be converted to digital
The CRTC is accepting comments on this application until December 10th.
https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/instances-proceedings/Default-Defaut.aspx?S=O&PA=B&PT=A&PST=A&lang=en&_ga=2.237138435.2077999095.1543251398-403084245.1543251398

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Humbar said:
Whats the point of maintaining an analog signal. I don't get it, is it maybe to keep simsubs in those markets.
Yup, though I feel they should find a way to convert the few remaining to DTV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need help

Hi...i live in Pritchard bc and used to get gobal tv for 2 years now but i no longer get it on 9-1..it keeps saying low signal strength

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
@pritchard66 Welcome to the forums! Have you tried a re-scan of channels on your tuner? Sometimes broadcasters make changes to their digital signal configuration, necessitating a re-scan.

241 - 260 of 291 Posts