Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wondering the same. In Fort Erie where analog 55 was shut down, not a blip on 41.1. Other Toronto channels coming in no problem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, call them at (416) 446-5311. They have a menu option (#4) for unacceptable reception. FYI, they are still not at full power because the equipment at the Paris site (owned by TVO) is really old. But the engineer says they are working on it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Paris Power

I called Global again today. The guy on the other end said that they are still not running at full power because the site and its equipment are so old, and there are safty issues, etc.

He also mentioned that Paris and Ottawa are specifically problem sites (as predecited here by many).

Anyway, I should have asked what power they are running at, but I forgot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks Micah for the contact number. I will give them a call tomorrow, even if it's just to add another mark to the tally of people affected.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks Micah for posting some information for Globaltv CIII 6.1. Hopefully Global will remedy the issue(s) with their Paris and Ottawa transmitters quickly.
I'll try to remember to ask the engineer what ERP they are broadcasting at when I call. I will post the information on this forum.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Good thing that they had all that time to work out those issues pre transition. I find it so ironic that no lessons from the US transition were heeded.
I understand the whole monetary thing, but common.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I called Global @ 416-446-5311, the number provided micah the other day.
Global/Shaw must have changed the menu, as it only prompted to press 1 (english) or 2 (french). There was no menu option 4 for unacceptable OTA reception. :confused:

The number went to Global TV News, so I'm not sure why that happened. I was given another number to call, which gave options to subscribe to Shaw Cable to Shaw satellite. :(
The call eventually went to voicemail, so I left a brief message about not being able to pickup Global 6.1 from Paris,ON in London.

I'm glad some got through to Global and spoke with their engineers regarding reception of Global 6.1 from Paris,ON in London. Hopefully Global will be able to resolve the known issues soon.

·
Registered
469 Posts
BCF, I _just_ called (416) 446-5311 seconds ago (5:12pm) and option four (#4) was still there for unacceptable results. Odd. Anyway, they are getting to know me now, so I'm not going to call back for a little while.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I called from Ottawa today and was told that they are at full power and it sucks too bad :( Well not exactly like that but yeah. (note: I called the number posted and go no menu, someone answered immediately).

So I called CRTC and they said that Global's signal is weak and they can apply for a stronger signal but they have to ask for it and then the CRTC will look at it. So keep calling global to bug them.

One would think that the CRTC mandating digital in certain areas would require a certain percentage of penetration but I guess as long as it is on, it doesn't matter how wimpy it is.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Posted in more detail before, but just to repeat in brief:

The regulatory scheme for determining channel assignments and power for digital TV is the same as it was for the last years of analog TV. The problem was that some engineering assumptions for VHF, especially low-VHF were not correct for DTV.

At least in the US, the FCC cannot change the scheme without a rulemaking process. In the interim, stations that want to raise power have to submit reports that include some measurements about how far off predictions were and/or an anlysis of where viewer complaints are coming from. Stations also have to prove that they will not create new interference to others or have negotiated agreements with stations they may affect.

If stations can file for more power and show no increased interference under the current regulatory scheme, then the process is much simpler and quicker.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got a call back from Global they are looking into it and will call me back.

The guy suggested turning off the FM trap incase it is interfering as he said they broadcast from 82Mhz to 88Mhz although we know we have a strong 88.5 here in Ottawa.

It's worth a try but pretty sure with the trap I had worse signal before.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts