Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
My $100 DR32 has been with me for a year and a half exactly. It has gone through 4 seasons with no problem. From the hottest day in summer to the coldest day in winter, it has not failed me once yet. It turns on as soon as I get in the car and turns off 20 seconds after I'm out. If it died tomorrow, I would gladly buy another just like it.

I have a 32gb card in and each time I have checked what I recorded, it was always full of interesting info...especially summer with people walking on the sidewalks... ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have..

I have the "ojocam Pro dashcam New Mini 0801 HD 1080P Dash Camera with 32gb samsung micro sd card, G-sensor and GPS" for sale at (the rainforest site for 139.99). I highly recommend this device. Razor sharp video quality. It also comes with a 32g micro sd card. It plugs into your cigarette lighter and the camera itself is one of the smallest on the market. It also records audio and has user select-able time/speed/GPS stamp on the video's it takes. Install is a breeze. The camera takes video's in 5 minute increments. The files are very large and take several hours to upload. If you watch videos from the sd card the quality is excellent.:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had my cheap Chinese unit since Dec. No issues. It's too hot to touch if I leave it in the window in the sun, but it still works fine. Dropped it once onto a hard tile floor, the USB connector is a bit skewed now, but still going strong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well I've pulled the trigger, after reading all the posts here, and in reading reviews from Dashboard Camera Reviews and Canada Dashcam I decided to get the BlackVue DR500GW

The main reason why I went for this one is Costco's support. If I have problems with it, I can simply bring it back to a local store to have it replaced. No international shipping.

I will report on my findings with useability and reliability on this unit once I've had it for at least a month.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Progress report on the POV by MobileSpec. As I mentioned previously it was blowing fuses in the included power adapter(the in vehicle one). It was only two fuses and hasn't blown another one since. After the second one blew I took a while to scroll through the on screen menu and discovered a "Frequency" setting. It was a choice of 50hz or 60hz and was on the default of 50hz. I set it to 60hz and haven't blown a fuse since, is it possible that the 50hz setting was causing fuses to blow in the in-vehicle charger? Other than this little glitch this has been a very cool accessory.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Since I have a dash-mount for my smartphone (Nexus 5), I've been using CaroO Pro as a dashcam app. I also got a Bluetooth OBD-II device so CaroO can get the diagnostic data for my car.

It was a fun little project. The primary downside is I wish those videos could be tagged in such a way that Google+ would ignore them and not make stories about my drive home, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Here's a place you can try: shopbot.ca. If there is an online seller, it will be displayed on there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as I know there are options in market which are easy to install and can be bought online.
One good option is Garmin Dash Cam TM 20 Standalone and other is PAPAGO GS11-US Dash Cam GoSafe from PAPAGO. These dash cams cost around CAD$150-$200

And there are several benefits of installing a dash cam like:-
1. Dashcam Can Prove of Value within Court
2. Dash Cams Can Decrease Your Insurance Premiums
3. Safeguard You From Insurance Scams
4. Provides undeniable footage proof and also works as a silent witness in the event of an accident
5. Produces a good defense from hit-and-run and theft
6. Provides GPS monitoring with vehicle speed (if equipped).
7. Minimizes the time to resolve a claim by the court of law or by the insurance company.
8. Has been proven to enhance a driver's driving behavior.
9. Provides employers with security that employees are following company rules when driving fleet vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is 2019 and a lot of these dash cams have been produced and upgraded. People now see the benefits. If you looking to install one, you should go for Blackvue Pro or Thinkware F770. I use Blackvue DR550, but the latest version in the market is Blackvue DR750S-2Ch. The cost is around $300 on amazon, you'll love its features. The App is excellent.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts