Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Never said I was perfect. Having said that, I was talking about how they drive. Re-read the post and you will see what I meant.

Oh and by the way, since I was talking about their "Driving" faults, I was blessed in having courses on defensive driving. So my faults should be minimal. No harm done. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dash Cams

I had a Zetronix which worked for a while then one day I realized it was not recording when I was driving. I tried to give it a boot in the butt but to no avail. Further googling came up with the G1WH "advanced portable car comcorder". It goes by various names, I ordered it from a site in NYC for around $75 Canadian delivery included. For the life of me I cannot find the "enter" button plus a few other problems.

Has anyone successfully programed this model or any other help would be appreciated.
sailmaker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great replies everyone! Some scenes from "Ferris Buellers Day Off" here. I'm still looking, got a little side tracked but some day soon I'll get one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK, so I got one that I really like, POV by MobileSpec, sold at truck stops all over Ontario but I'm having a problem with the car charger. When I use it in any of the trucks I drive for work, 5 tons mostly, the fuse in the charger blows after a few hours of use. These trucks have a dash board read out that says 14VDC most of the time but I charge my cell phone often and some of the other drivers use GPS units all day with no trouble. I like the dashcam itself so much I am willing to overlook this and buy a new, better charger if I have to. Any thoughts? The home charger says on it the output is 5V and .5A, if I get another charger does it have to have these specs. I see some for sale that show 5V but 1A and 2.1A and I suspect I shouldn't use one of those. Help.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
If you get the 5v 1A, you'll be alright. I have used one for an item that required 500ma.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Danster, I put in 12 hours or more a lot of days and the battery runs down after about 5 or 6 hours so I really need a reliable charger. I'll try a 1A, they're everywhere, and the prices aren't bad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been buying Blackvue cameras from Massdrop for all of our cars.. but then I noticed Costco sells them too, for a price close to what I was paying for them online. With Costco's policies, it's a no brainer.

I run the DR400 in my S2000, a DR500 in my Legacy GT, and a 2-channel DR500 in my wife's Forester. All with 64mb mini-sd cards.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dashboard Cams - Pros & Cons, what to look for?

I searched through this forum to see if there is any information specifically for dashboard cams. I'm looking to buy one, but online reviews vary widely.

What are Canadian experiences?
What's the latest and greatest?
What features to look for?
What to avoid?

This is a relatively new part of the technology market, and a lot of previously "unknown companies" are coming out, as well as cheap stuff. The established companies haven't yet jumped into the market yet, or are simply not interested. I have found that reviews from even a few months ago are outdated, as new units come out almost every month.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mini 0803

I just purchased my first dash cam last week from a local online retailer. I got the Mini 0803. I was looking for something basic, reasonably priced, and with good reviews.

I like that it is small and fits nicely behind the rear view mirror without standing out. The daytime video playback is very good, and it also records sound, speed and GPS. I haven't tested the night time playback yet. It was easy to mount and the cable was the perfect length to the power source, and hid nicely inside the vehicle.

However it doesn't like extreme heat as it didn't function properly the beginning of this week when the car sat in the sun all day. It is working fine now though as the temperature is a bit cooler.

I've just been using it less than a week so can't comment on longevity, but so far am pleased with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As I mentioned above, I just got the POV by MobileSpec, $99 at most truck stops around Ontario, comes with suction cup mount, car charger, home charger, 8gb SD card and all the cables required. I love how easy it is use, has great picture, only glitch so far is the car charger has blown a couple of fuses after several hours use(but only in the trucks I drive for work, not my car), otherwise, top marks.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I have the DR32 bought on eBay. The night time is incredibly clear and day time is just as good. Was ~$100 but I think due to the popularity of it, it went up in price.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Mine was bought on-line well over a year ago and has paid for itself several times over.

Just a cheep Chinese device, the Car Cam HD Car PVR. Can record up to 1080P, although I leave mine on 720P, which is very good, as har as I am concerned. It also records audio, Date & Time. Nothing else, like I say, very basic.

First time it came in handy was when a Pick-Up Truck and trailor, swapped from the Right lane into my lane, with no indicators, warning etc, just moved over. The trailor was already alongside my vehicle so a collision could not be avoided. When he stopped, he insisted I moved to the Right, striking him. Police were called. When I asked the Officer if he would like to see the movie from my Dash Camera, he smiled and said "Yes Please, this should be interesting".

I took the Micro SD Card from the device, loaded it into an adaptor, then slid it in the slot on my Mac Book Pro.

Fired up the Video, the Officer just laughed, went over to the other driver, asked if he would like to revise his story. He said "No, that was what happened". The Officer invited him to watch my Video, then charged him with an unsafe lanechange, etc......

Perfect.

Then last week, I was stopped for running a Red Light. Briefly, same sort of thing, after being told by the Officer that I had commited the offence, I asked if I could show him the video. He was very reluctant at first but I said, no problem but I will be presenting it in Court if you don't want to see it now.

He watched and was totally embarrased. It clearly showed the lights were still Yellow when I got to the opposite side of the intersection.

I did not want to make an enemy so just said it was just an honest mistake that anyone could make.

So that saved me $325 plus points I believe, as without the Camera, it would have been his word against mine in court.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
With mine, I found out a technician from my dealer was caught speeding in my car. Wasn't hard to prove with the vieo....;)

I have mine on all the time. As an added bonus, it makes me more aware of how I drive myself. If everyone had one, I am pretty sure accident rates would go down.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
it makes me more aware of how I drive myself
Yes I fully agree with you.

I sat and watched mine after I first got it and was horrified as to how many STOP signs I never really stopped at....lol

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I did it, just a suction cup on the windshield, very long power cord could almost reach power source at rear of vehicle.

It has a small drop down 1.5" X 1.5" screen for set up and playback, also has some kind of mini -HDMI port for playback direct to a TV. Although it came with a 32Gb Micro SD Card, I use a 64Gb card giving I believe 3 hours at 720P.

Card removes easily and I always carry a spare.

·
Registered
209 Posts
IMO, you don't really need any fancy features, GPS etc. Just good video quality.
I've been happy with my cheap Chinese dashcam, the video quality is outstanding for the price. I played with a friend's higher end one with GPS, and while it may be fun to play back a video and see the map, and your speed, the novelty wears off and I don't think it's really necessary unless you're fighting a speeding ticket. canadadashcam.com is a good Canadian reseller.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The GPS and time stamp on your Dashcam video can be critical evidence if you're needing to hand over the contents to the police and/or insurance company. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any long-term users? I'm looking for people that have had one running for over a year. How reliable are these Chinese-made devices? What about really hot days in the Summer or very cold days in the Winter?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I bought a cheap overseas version and it worked ok but it was a poorly thought out design in my opinion. Buttons were impossible to get at, the usb connect location in an awkward place... It's dead now but I can't really blame the camera, rather the abuse I put it through cause I didn't really care about it too much. It did eat my micro usb card which forced me to dismantle it a bit...
Verdict- I got what I paid for. No real complaints.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts