Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There appears to be a big surge lately of people getting these. I can see them being useful but I would have concern about draining the car battery and a conspicuousness installation. Anyone have any experience with these in the past? Any specific model worth looking into? What about installation...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know of anyone in the GTA who deals with these installations? I would have interest in getting one but would be looking for them to take care of the leg work.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Your best bet would be any reputable car audio shop. Dashcams are easy, all they have to do is wire up the power and mount the thing securely and reasonably out of sight.

All the cameras have a simple power cord that plugs into the cig lighter. If you can set up a cordless phone, a dashcam should be a breeze.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm just saying that's how simple they are to set up, so any competent car audio installer will have no problem hiding the wires and fusing it correctly.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You should be able to find one with its own battery. An old coworker of mine has one that has a suction mount I think. Nothing to install or permanently attach. Good for removing when not in the vehicle. He said his was from somewhere in China I think. He put in a large SD card and said it could record for two days straight.

I want to get a dash cam badly! I'd love to make it look like something typical like a pop can or bobble head.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
There are great free (and paid) apps for smart phones that provide dash cam footage. All you need is a mount. I use the mount from my old Axim with my Xperia, in conjunction with the "Daily Roads" app.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm looking for one that I can plug into the lighter/power socket and transfer to and from my car to whichever truck I'm driving at work each day. I've seen quite a few stories recently where having one of these either saved an innocent driver from being wrongfully charged and/or led to the capture of a driver breaking the law. The most recent was in Toronto, a guy in stop and go traffic on the 401 had the driver in front of him back into him and then try to extort money from him because it looked like the driver behind rammed the driver ahead, which would be a clear case of following too close. It's pretty bad that there are people out there that would try something like that but they are, look up "staged accidents" in google, very scary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine for nearly a year, no problems (except SD card, but that's the Aus climate for you)
I'm guessing they pulled it because of the issues I had trying to get one into the country, Pittasoft did not want them to leave China, the new version is the same with an additional (de)feature: it will not allow you to change the operating language - so all Chinese market cams will likely stay in China.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I have a funny story about dash cam. I had installed mine in my last 2 cars including the current one.
Long story short, I had some work done on my car this past winter. After getting my car back, I decided to watch what had been done since it records as soon as you turn the ingnition on.

To my dismay, the tech doing a road test in it, got caught speeding by local police. I was not impressed as the cop got called to a more urgent call so he gave the tech a warning but reassured him that the license plate (mine) was flagged and that next time, it would not be just a warning. This conversation was all caught on video.

I called my dealer after viewing the footage and told him the story. He asked me if I had proof of it. I said what about a video?

Now I have a written statement from the dealer saying that on or around such date, a tech was caught speeding in my car to no fault of mine.

If it hadn't been for my gadget, I would have been oblivious of what would happen if I get arrested. Thank you DR32 and your 1080p recording!!! ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wow, what a story! Makes me regret not getting one sooner! I've had some close calls. My friend dropped his truck off at a dealer for service, and they somehow "lost" track of it the whole day. Turns out some young guy, not sure if it was a sales or service guy, was driving it around all day (probably driving the s*** out of it!) and put a bunch of km on it (100+?) and there was way less gas in it. Unbelievable! :mad:

Anyway, my wife's had some close calls and wants one now too. I just have to decide on one. A co-worker showed me his dashcam once. I think he said it was a cheap one from china, but with the card he had in it, it would record HD for 2 or 3 days!

Is yours obvious or hidden? I've tried to come up with ideas to make it blend in. Also whether i should put it on the dash, or near my head to see the side & rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A former co-worker of mine got out of a bogus fail to stop at a stop sign ticket. He was pulled over for not stopping and a cop gave him a ticket. He sore up and down he stopped and the cop wan't going for it. He waited until court and brought the dashcam video on his laptop to show the judge. The officer was quite embarrassed and the ticket was tossed out.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish we had a list of good, reliable people who not only stocked the cameras but also did the full install.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I have mine right below the mirror post and it records the whole front of my car. 127 degrees worth of viewing video. It doesn't show that much since it is only about 3/4 of the size of Popeye Candy Sticks box.

I have mine hooked directly (hidden) into my 12volt outlet. It is all tucked up and can still use my 12volt adapter inlet for my GPS for example. It only takes 5volts of the 12 at very low amperage not to say none at all.

I am happy I had invested in my camera. I also would love to put all the footage of idiots on the road in my town. Seeing the way they drive and how many run the red light, I don't think I would be too popular to show them their faults!!!

@alebowgm, if you lived near me, I would help you install it. I have done soooo many different installs in my life, it isn't funny. Like the time when I had a Vic20 in my Festiva hooked to my Ge-1000 cell phone which dialed using the touch tone sounds of the computer, which I also had a working VCR in the back of the car running on the same computer monitor....but that's for a different thread! ;)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I'm seeing them for sale in major store flyers these days, so the choices are getting better. Some of the big names in consumer electronics are getting in on it now (Garmin, HP, etc.) so perhaps some of the qualms people might feel about the cheap, unknown brands from China might be soothed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts