Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Power light on Bell 6400 receiver?

I purchased a used 6400-G2 and everything seems to work fine after activating on my account. I did notice there was no power LED on the front panel to show the receiver was on. Is this normal or is my 6400-G2 defective?

·
Registered
10 Posts
jdevlin, thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention it is the newer G2 version with the plastic case. It does not have a LED next to the power switch like in your diagram. It looks like there may be one to the right of the buttons...though it definitely is not on. Can someone confirm there's a power LED on this G2 6400? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, it's been mentioned quite a few times here on this thread starting on post 171 onwards.
It looks like Bell's site only has the G1 diagram which I also found.
Thanks, again.

Edit. Here's a picture of the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update:

I found a second 6400-G2 receiver with a working power LED.

Issue1:

Plugged USB drive from original 6131 to this 6400-G2
This second 6400-G2 does NOT play the content recorded from the original 6131.
Screen just goes black for about 5 seconds and returns back to contents menu.
It does record and play new content on the same drive.
The original 6131 does NOT play contents recorded from this 6400-G2

The first 6400-G2 (the one with the bad power LED) plays content recorded from the 6131
The 6131 also plays content recorded from the first 6400-G2

Both 6400 have the same firmware

It would seem original recorded content from 6131 are ok since 2 of 3 receivers can play them? Any ideas?

Issue 2:

The two 6400's guide cannot see the Animal Planet channel...even in 'All Channels' mode
I tried to reset the servers and synchronized from the bell site.
The 6131 still has the channel working when I check.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell External Hard Drive Facts part 2

Unfortunately thread "Bell External Hard Drive Facts" is closed so I could not post there.

Just been informed by Bell support that sharing EHD between 6131 receivers on same account is possible but drive must be reformatted. To me this is not sharing, one should be able to view recordings on either receiver.

Yet sharing same drive with computer is not possible because drive must be reformatted. Understood and accepted.

Imagine if all external drives used with computers required reformatting on each computer, it would defeat the purpose of external drive.
Fortunately for us sharing drives between computers is possible and works as advertised.

How silly of me to assume that sharing drive between Bell receivers would be same.

I am curious, has anyone been able to share EHD between Bell satellite receivers? If so, which receiver models?

thank you

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just been informed by Bell support that sharing EHD between 6131 receivers on same account is possible but drive must be reformatted. To me this is not sharing, one should be able to view recordings on either receiver.
This is 100% wrong.........

Once formatted for use on a 6xxx series Receiver, that drive CAN be used on any other 6xxx Receiver on the same account, just the same with the 9xxx series of Receivers.

As 57 says, the only limitation is swapping between a 6xxx & 9xxx, this is NOT possible as they work in different ways.

The 6xxx record directly to the EHD, while the 9xxx record to the Internal Drive and the EHD is used to 'archive' programs.

You just got a CSR at Bell, that did not know the facts.

Let me just put on my surprised face at this point.....lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell 6400 audio issues

I just purchased a Bell 6400 receiver, the HDMI output is connected to a HD Video HDMI Extender, this unit replaced a Bell 6131 receiver.
I have video but no sound. I direct connected the 6400 to a TV in order to bypass the extender and the unit had both sound and video.
The extender audio supports uncompressed LPCM audio and compressed DTS-HD, Dolby true HD.
Can anyone help me with this audio problem.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
Sounds like the issue is caused by the extender. Have you gone into the settings menu for the 6400 and tried different audio options. Something like PCM or DD, etc.

Perhaps the HDMI "handshake" between the TV and the box is not going properly through the extender. See the following FAQ on HDMI issues:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

You state the audio compatibilities, but none of those is what the 6400 sends. It sends compressed PCM and Dolby Digital, although those are "lower" than the ones you mention. Do you have a link for the extender so we can see the specs, etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 26 month old 6400 just died. no video out of the HDMI or RCA connection. Green power light flickers . unplugged for days and when plugged in, green power light immediately is on and still flickering. Doing a reset doesn't do a thing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
6141 just failed

I've had this 6141 HD receiver for about 7 years and today it failed. It won't respond to any commands from the remote.
It's my "secondary" receiver that I watch hockey on. My primary receiver (6141) responds to commands from that remote.
Did the usual troubleshooting stuff and no dice.
Both the power and HD lights are on but nothing just "no Signal" on the TV.
Ordinarily I would suspect (and have before) that there is a cable problem but in that case the receiver at least responded to the remote.
So I'll be replacing it with a 6400.
My eHDD should be recognized no problem so I won't lose anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sound out of synch on 6400 HD receiver

Hi: We are renting 3 HD receivers from Bell and this particular one (6400) has an annoying sound lag,which I can usually fix by disconnecting power for a few minutes,but seems to be getting worse.
Sometimes the guide showing the channelsis only showing up half way.
Is this receiver on it's way out?. Receiver is plugged straight into 35" Roku t.v via HDMI.Thanks,Huck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Another volume issue we noticed the other day,sound seems like it's under water.Powered off for about 10 minutes and all is good....sound lag seems to come and go,but more regular lately. No one else has this sound lag problem??

421 - 439 of 439 Posts