Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Try the unit on the other cable where the 3100 machine is. This will tell you if the cable is bad or the unit. You could also try the 3100 on this cable and see if it works.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Exactly as jdevlin says, verify that the line works by swapping over the receivers. If both lines have the same hardware, then they should both work exactly the same.

When you determine the location of the problem, the line/hardware or the receiver, we can troubleshoot some more.

Don't forget that the 3100 will not see all the transponders from 82, so don't panic initially....

·
Registered
4 Posts
it will take a while for that because i will need an hdtv upstairs to see if the 6400 will show the hd channels. the hd channels are the issue, many won't lock. i also ran another check switch and it went back to saying their are 3 ports. i then had to repeat the previous steps to get it to show the sw21 again. maybe i will buy a new lnbf to replace the current 82. it's little grey roof is chipped off. the power surge that ruined my switches a while ago may have gotten into it as well. i guess that's two reasons to change the lnbf then.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If you are going to buy a new LNB get a DPPplus then you won't need the sw21s. You only need one cable direct from the LNB to each receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
will this have any benefit? do the channels change faster or is the reception better? it took me an hour in the cold to change those switches, i'd rather not render them obsolete unless there is a strong benefit.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
One benefit is that if you ever get a PVR with two tuners, you could make use of the single line using DPP technology instead of having to run another line.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Benefits;

It will cost only marginally more to replace the 2 x Legacy LNBF's & 2 x SW21's with a DPP Twin LNBF, in fact it might even work out slightly cheaper.

There would also be 6 less connectors outside, exposed to the elements, as you can run lines directly from the DPP Twin, to the Receivers.

Less parts, less problems.?

If adding a 3rd receiver, you would/could add a switch inside and not have to swap out the 2 x SW21's for an SW44 at the Dish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. I have a G2 6400 that I purchased about a year ago, the problem I have is the guide only goes 3 days ahead and no more. Is this correct for the 6400 or is there a problem. Contacted bell and they replaced the unit but It also has the same issue, am I missing something here. To me this seems useless if I'm going to hookup a hard drive and turn it into a pvr. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have the same receiver with a hard drive hooked up to it and I get a programming guide for about 9 days. Only one program can be recorded at a time. You can't watch one program and record another program with this receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, so the only way I can get the "9 Day Guide" is with an external hard drive hooked up otherwise I only get a "3 day" guide with the 6400?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
An External Hard Drive is required. I don't know any other way to get a guide for more than 3 days. The 9400 Receiver has a built in hard drive so It is able to show an extended guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If that's the case, it's funny that Bell couldn't tell me that in the first place, instead of replacing the original 6400 when really there was nothing wrong.
I do have a 9400 also. I think I will hookup an external drive and turn it into a pvr.

Again thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The 9400 Receiver already has a hard drive. It doesn't need an external hard drive to turn it into a PVR. The 9400 is a PVR Receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I'm a newbie and I apologize if it's been repeated. I've tried looking through multiple threads and there seems to be to much stuff to read through. I have two HD receivers 6131 and 6400. I currently dual LNBs outside with two wires coming into the house. One wire is hooked into a SW21 switch and the other wire is for my second receiver i just bought. The guy at the store gave me a SW44 switch. Will it work for 2 standard hd receivers with no PVR?

Can I remove the existing SW21 switch and installed the SW44 switch and have two wires coming out of the SW44 switch? I'm assuming I'll still have to run one wire through the wall transformer power supply??

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is how to install the SW44;

Abandon the SW21 and run 2 more short lines to the SW44 if mounting at the Dish. Just ignore the Dual Tuner Receiver in the Diagram.

401 - 420 of 441 Posts