External Hard Drive Discussions - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

External Hard Drive Discussions - See Facts Link in Post 1.

I'm new to this so please bear with me. I've tried searching with no success.

I just upgraded to a 9241 because my kids gave me an external hard drive for my BD.

Anyway, it formated just fine so here is my question.

As I keep recording movies etc, does the external drive become an overflow when the 9241 is full?? If this isn't the case, do I have to archieve shows to the external drive manually??

Once movies etc are in the hard drive do I just access them for watching the same as if they're on the 9241 drive.

I hope I explained properly but I'm sure somebody will let me know if not.

Here's the link to the eHDD facts thread. Read it to find the appropriate eHDD, etc.

Bell External Hard Drive Facts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Do not ask questions in the Facts thread. Use this thread for questions.

Last edited by 57; 2012-09-05 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added Link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
As I keep recording movies etc, does the external drive become an overflow when the 9241 is full?? If this isn't the case, do I have to archieve shows to the external drive manually??
The EHD is just for archiving your recordings, you cannot record directly to it. Ensure that you never fill it or you will experience major problems, as outlined elsewhere in these forums.
post #3 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Pinza.

So, Once movies etc are in the hard drive do I just access them for watching the same as if they're on the 9241 drive??

I did notice that when I went to archieve a program, it said it would take about 5 minutes. Does this sound about right??

post #4 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Although I have had a 9242 for quite some time, I have yet to connect an EHD so I am not sure about playback. All I can advise, it try it out.... Archive a 30 minute show, then see if you can just play it, or if it needs to be moved back to the receiver to play. I hope you can just play.....lol

Archiving, is very slow though, that I do know, from reading on this forum and at other peoples homes.
post #5 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:42 PM
Veteran

A new item called External Drive shows up in the PVR recording list. Shows on the HD can be watched in the new submenu that shows up when it is selected. The EHD interface is similar to the regular PVR recordings list but not identical. Recordings can be archived by pressing Menu-4-3-2.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #6 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:42 PM

The EHD is for storage and viewing only. Movies cannot be transferred back to the receiver. As Pinza said, don't let the EHD get too full; stop archiving when it's about 75% full. At that time either delete some recordings or buy another EHD.
post #7 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Too bad you cannot record directly to the EHD. It would make things much simpler! Does Dishnetwork in the states work the same way?
post #8 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Movies cannot be transferred back to the receiver.
Movies can be transferred back to the internal HD by selecting Restore while managing EHD recordings.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #9 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 12:28 PM

You can transfer recordings back and forth and you can watch recordings directly from the EHD BUT....some 9242 had hardware issues (mine) where you could transfer recordings to the EHD but could not watch or transfer back. (Search for the dreaded EHD disconnect problem).

I had this issue and only a receiver swap fixed it.
post #10 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 10:40 PM
Rookie

Question HD 6131 with a 1.5GB???

I was wondering how I can use a 1.5GB external HDD on a HD 6131? I am attempting to use a media center to record tv shows, as well as downloaded movies. I did not know that the max was 1gb. I get an error 933 when trying to use media center. Is there a way that I can over ride the error, or even use this as a pvr? I am deperate, i bought it off eBay!!!!
post #11 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 06:39 AM
Rookie

I believe Bell's official max size is still 750Gb.
post #12 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

well, I've had the 9241 and the external hard drive for 8 days now and I'm pleased to say that both are working fantastic.

I was worried about the archiving to the hard drive but it allows you to watch whatever you want while it does it's thing in the background.

Nice set up I think. No more worrying about taping to much and filling the machine.
post #13 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Using 1 EHD with 2 Bell Receivers

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search and I couldn't find a topic covering it.

I have a question:

I have 2 6131's and I would like to remove the EHD from one and plug into the other to watch/PVR. Would the drive be formatted when I inserted into receiver 2?
post #14 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 07:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknosex
I was wondering how I can use a 1.5GB external HDD on a HD 6131? I am attempting to use a media center to record tv shows, as well as downloaded movies. I did not know that the max was 1gb. I get an error 933 when trying to use media center. Is there a way that I can over ride the error, or even use this as a pvr?
This sounds very confusing.
1. The external hard drive cannot be swapped between the 6131 and other devices. The 6131 will ask to format the drive which will erase all previous data.
2. Which media center? Do you mean the 6131 or something else?
3. Nobody here has reported on using a 1.5TB drive. A lot of people use 1TB drives on the 6131. Try it and report back on whether it works. It won't hurt the drive or the 6131 but the formatting or subsequent file transfers may fail. It will erase any data on the disk written from other devices.

post #15 of 1068 (permalink) Old 2009-10-26, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The EHD is just for archiving your recordings, you cannot record directly to it.
I am very confused. Post #2 states, in part
Quote:
6131/6141
EHD functionality introduced in firmware v165.
EHD's can be shared between 6131/6141s that are on the same Bell TV account. I am told the three strikes and your out rule is not in effect.
Programming from an EHD mated to a 6131 or 6141 receiver cannot be viewed on a 9241 or 9242 receiver. Attempting to do so could result in your drive being reformatted.
Multiple drives can be added to the 6131/6141 but only one at a time
I have a 6131 and was looking at connecting an external hard drive under the assumption that I would achieve PVR functionality. PVR functionality to me includes recording.

Telus advertises thusly
Quote:
Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive
Connect a 500 GB external hard drive to expand the recording capacity of your HD PVR or to add PVR functionality to your HD receiver.
Bottom line, will my 6131 record a program to an external hard drive. Post #2 certainly implies that it can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.