Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1994 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dpp44

It was discussed a little in an earlier thread but it is not clear to me.

If you have a DDP twin and then a DDP44:

1) I believe you have 2 wires running into house

2) Can you still run a single line to the Dual tuners and use separators?

3) If you can do #2 does that mean you will have extra outputs? ex. you can have a 9200, 5200, 2x 5900?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
That is 100% correct, Joe. As long as you have the DPP Twin going into a DPP SW44, you can use 1 cable each of the receivers. The 9200 and the 5200 will each need a seperator.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Can you use a separator to have lines going to non-dual machines?

I would assume no but if you can........that would make it a possiblity of 8 lines from the DPP44.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I am pretty sure you can't use the seperator for the non-dual machines. How the sperator works is by knowing if the 2 tuners are looking for the same transponder or not, and then telling the switch what frequencies to send down that single cable. With 2 different receivers; because they are seperate units there is no way for the receivers to talk to each other; to co-ordinate what signals they need.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
bclaringbold said:
You can also use the DPP44 using a dish pro twin or quad (non plus) lnbs. You do not have to use the DPP Twin.

Brad
Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using the non plus version of the lnb?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just so it is clear in my head

ken0042 said:
That RCA switch only has 2 inputs; you would need 4.

So, both Ed27 and Audiolab: what I would do in your respective shoes is use a SW44, and use my example #3 for setup.

The DPP Twin with seperators is good if you cannot run 2 cables to the receiver. The big downside is you can only run 2 receivers off the twin, unless you also get a DPP SW44.......... in other words a fair amount of bother.

The word on the street is that the 9220 package will come with the SW44, so if that's the case, it makes life easy.

Thanks Ken,
I just want to make sure I've got it right. In modifying example #4, I want to take those 2 cables coming from the 2 SW21 and feed into the multi-switch. Then from the 4 outputs...feed 2 cables to the 9200 and 1 to the 6100. What you are saying is that this won't work. Is it because the multi-switch can't handle the signals from 91 and 82 coming in on one cable and then distributing them?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
What you want to do is take the SW-21's out of the equation. So you would have 4 cables running from your LNB's into the SW44, then you could use the 4 outputs; using 2 of them for the 9200, and one for the 6100. You would have one spare output in case you add an additional receiver.

Ed27 said:
Is it because the multi-switch can't handle the signals from 91 and 82 coming in on one cable and then distributing them?
That is sort of the reason. It's a bit of a simplification, but that's the idea.

The main problem is with the SW21's you have the ability to watch 2 kinds of transponders. With 3 tuners in your system; you may need to watch 3 different kinds of transponders. There are 4 kinds of transponders; Odd on 91, Even on 91, Odd on 82, Even on 82. With 4 inputs on the SW44, you are covering all of the 4 different transponder types.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Ken!
I kinda figured it would be like that.
My issues are that I DON'T want to get up on the second story of my house to change the SW21s to an SW44, and I don't want to go to the expense and hassle of running a third line into my house.
What I did not consider is having the 9200 send signals to both of my TVs. My main 42" 16:9 HD set is only about 20 feet away from the set that I have my 3100 on now. I understand that the 9200 has a second output that can be separately controlled by a coded remote? So, could I simply run the line currently connected to my 3100 through my attic so that there are two cables going to the 9200 and then run a set of 20 foot audio/video cables to the second TV in the other room? This would also save me the second receiver charge, no?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
you got it audiolab. Sounds like good way for you. Keep in mind though. You will not be able to add any more receivers without modifications.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
bclaringbold said:
The non pro should be cheaper and easier to find as there is alot of the floating around. Just wanted to let everybody know that they dont need the DPP Twin and that they can use the Dish Pro stuff, if you already have it.
Do you have any documentation that you saw from Dish Network on this? It just doesn't seem right a DP twin can do the say as a DPP twin.

Where did you find out about it?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
joedoe said:
Can you use a separator to have lines going to non-dual machines?
No you can't, the reason is that the the two tuners communicate with each other and two separate recievers can't do that. There is a technical term for it that escapes me at the moment.

Alt

·
Registered
640 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on using two 9200s ?
Wonder if the UHF remote can use different freq?

You could have upto 4 PVR-TV's going with just the 2 boxes...

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
joedoe said:
Do you have any documentation that you saw from Dish Network on this? It just doesn't seem right a DP twin can do the say as a DPP twin.

Where did you find out about it?
Actually DP and DPP are slightly different in that with DPP the switch is built into the LNB, where as DP it is not. This means that with the DPP-Twin you only need one cable run for both sat 91/82. With DP you will need a switch to combine the signals and feed both satellites and make use of the DPP separator. Also DP can not have legacy receivers hooked up without an adapter, whereas DPP can.

Here is a link explaining DP/DPP technology:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217

Alt

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Altaman said:
Actually DP and DPP are slightly different in that with DPP the switch is built into the LNB, where as DP it is not. This means that with the DPP-Twin you only need one cable run for both sat 91/82. With DP you will need a switch to combine the signals and feed both satellites and make use of the DPP separator. Also DP can not have legacy receivers hooked up without an adapter, whereas DPP can.

Here is a link explaining DP/DPP technology:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217

Alt
Actually you mis understood what they said. DP does combine both satellite signals into one wire.

From that link:

DishPro Plus puts a new twist on that by being able to control which tranponders from which satellite are translated into the low and high range. For instance, the switch can be directed to translate even transponders from 119° to the low range for tuner 1 and odd transponders from 110° to the high range then put them on the same receiver output. Each range is directed to one of the dual tuner receiver's inputs by a DP Plus Separator installed at the back of the receiver.

That is different than combining 2 satellite signals. As far as I know there are 5 lnbs that combine signals. Legacy twin and quad. Dish pro twin and quad. The Dish Pro Plus Twin being the 5th.

Just wanted to clarify that. unless I read your post incorrectly.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
joedoe said:
The Dish Pro Twin being the 5th.

Just wanted to clarify that.
You mean Dish Pro Plus Twin being the 5th, right?

(I wish they had come up with a better name for DPP- one typo can create so much confusion.)

81 - 100 of 1994 Posts