Loosing shawdirect channels at specific times - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-22, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Loosing shawdirect channels at specific times

First of all Hello.

I have a problem that has being going in for over a month now and three receivers. Shawdirect tech support is of no help either.

Every day short of Sundays i loose or get blacked out channels at 11am and 8pm. It's almost always a CBS related channel, and the fact of the matter is if the show is fed to lets say global or ntv those channels are also blacked out.

The receivers are working perfectly and dish signal strength hovers around 92-95% which is well above base line.

After 11am and 8PM ( aka 12pm and 9pm) everything comes back but by then the shows are over, obviously.

50+ receiver refreshes since this problem began, lost count on how many factory resets were done.

The blacked out channels themselves are feeding since their menu, guide, show data and timers are working however there is no picture or audio.

Now if i refresh or reset the receivers they channel show comes back until i change channel then the black out happens again.

It does looks like a lack of memory on the receivers as if the codecs get changed and the relay feed to the other channels are also blacked out however channels like NTV are not in HD but it effects both standard and HD channels.

All other channels work and another fact that two of three receivers have different blacked out channels but still at the same times as the other receiver.

I have heard of CBS blacking out certain shows recently with at&t and such , however there are Canadian produced shows that are also being blacked out by shawdirect at those hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-22, 10:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Are you south of Canada or have an old receiver, or the incorrect LNB? I believe you will find the answer to your question in the following posts:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...ml#post2613833

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...ml#post2643337

You will also find a lot of channel information (channels going to different satellites) in the last few pages in the following thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...thread-61.html

Check out the relevant links in post 1 of the following thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...-post-1-a.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello 57 and thank you.

I'm in northern Canada, all the equipment is new sent directly from shawdirect. Shawdirect technician came over twice to work on it Changed the dish, coax, lnb, e.t.c.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 08:58 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm sorry, but I don't believe I can help you further. We'll have to wait for an SD expert to assist. The only other thing I can think of is for you to record/watch the Canadian channel whenever there is a simsub. Perhaps there is something about the simsub (switch) that is causing this issue with the signal. I've seen it on Rogers where if you try to record the US channel, a simsub can sometimes cause issues during the switchover from the signal to Global from CBS for example....

Your last paragraph seems to indicate that this many not help though, along with your refresh comment... I assume that your signal on Global/NTV is good also?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I ran through the suggested threads. One perhaps two seem plausible if it wasn't for the receiver reset bringing the channel back until you change channels and then it's gone again. Also being so high in signal strength including the french channels, sd and hd channels which are working correctly, covers the dual satellite end of posible factors. The fact of the matter with the blacked out channels are they and working just not decoding any video data and since the same show relayed to another channel is also blacked out. Sd or HD it does not matter.

Thanks.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Signal strength when this problems happens global, ntv, e.t.c. don't go below 87% and that's even in cloudy weather. I'm on top of a mountain at over 1000feet above sea level so no interference.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:13 AM

Do you have a multi switch. Are your cables connected from the LNB to the proper input. Another unusual possibility would be you have the wrong channel map for the type of LNB you have and the simsubs fail because of the wrong map. Good luck.

LONSat
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is quick fact that i decided to try out. I reconnected my c-band dish and there are a few free channels left including one CBS feed that had the same show running when the shawdirect problem occurs.
Take form that what you will.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

LonSat. No, i have no switch. It's a direct single line coax feed from the lnb to the single available input on the receiver. Yes shawdirect changed the mapping on all three receivers several times. Again it would work for a short time and then stop. Resetting the receiver brings back the blacked out channel but if you change channels like most people do between commercials the black out happens again.

Thanks.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I suppose the most important fact in all this is that it happens at exactly the same times every day except for Sundays and only for one hour 11am to 12pm and 8pm to 9pm. Then everything goes back to working.
I don't have a PVR either. I'm on the diamond 150$ a month (ouch) shawdirect plan.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Location wise i am half way between Timmins Ontario and Rouyn-Noranda Quebec. I doubt this will help but i am running out of ideas to try.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 09:54 AM

What type of LNB do you have an old barrel type or a quad LNB hopefully xLnb to get all three satellites. You say single line, and that got me thinking of the old days when most of the English channels were on F1 and French on F2. You could split the output of the single line as long as you didn't jump to a French channel. If you jumped to a channel on F2 it would black out the video and audio on the other receivers. As long as there is a separate line directly from the Quad LNB to each receiver you should be fine. If you are splitting the feed between receivers then either changing channels or a simsub could blank the signal to the other receiver.

LONSat
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 12:50 PM
Veteran

It sounds like Shaw is blacking out the signal from their head end. It's the same mechanism that Shaw uses to do simsubs. Don't know why it's being blacked out instead of simsubbed or if the show is even subject to blackouts or simsubs but the way it is being done sounds the same.

Background: Unplugging or resetting the receiver was a method commonly used to cancel simsubs. That's because Shaw modifies the channel map in the receiver itself to implement simsubs. Resetting the receiver restores the channel map to it's default which negates any blackouts or simsubs. That worked because Shaw would send out a single remap signal at the start of the show. They now repeat the signal several times during the show which effectively defeats that workaround.

My guess is that Shaw's head end has been programmed to send blackout signals to your receiver (and possibly others in your area) between 11am to 12pm and 8pm to 9pm. That's why a reset corrects the problem but only only temporarily. It's possible that a local station is requesting a blackout of CBS programming for your area. If they carry the same program at a different time, that is within their rights under CRTC regulations. It's not often done but it can happen. If they carry the show at the same time, the station could request a simsub. If that's not the case, then the blackouts are being done in error by Shaw.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 01:33 PM

@borrowingtime are you sure you receive all 3 satellites? It sounds like the U.S. program is being simsubbed with a Canadian channel that you can't receive. Do you have time shifting in your package? If so, are you able to watch the program on a different Canadian channel? The symptoms you report are similar to problems that people south of Canada have because they can't receive the G1 satellite.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

LonSat: It's a quad LNB, it had to changed to support HD channels and it's been a while. My setup is just a basic single receiver on one tv nothing more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in