Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 59 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #871 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-06, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the prompt replies folks. I'll repoint the dish and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-06, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Opps, forget about my 'where do you live?' question. I just read the title of this thread... (Mexico, US, etc).

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #873 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-07, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Repointing the dish fixed the problem. Thanks again folks.

post #874 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-07, 01:04 PM

Glad everything worked out.

LONSat
post #875 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 10:13 AM

is there a calculator that takes into account dish size, longitude and latitude, and spits out what optimum strength should be for a given geographic location?
post #876 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 11:21 AM

You can try ANIK's home Telesat at https://www.telesat.com/our-fleet#fleett but there seems to be an issue there right now with Google maps though or SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Intelsat 10-02 (Intelsat 1002, Intelsat Alpha-2, Intelsat X-02, IS-1002) / Thor 5 (Thor 2R) / Thor 6 (Intelsat 1W, IS-1W) / Thor 7.
Once you bring up the satellite footprint you want, click in the location on the map where you intend to install it, and it supplies minimum size and other information.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #877 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-09-23, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtroad View Post
You can try ANIK's home Telesat at https://www.telesat.com/our-fleet#fleett but there seems to be an issue there right now with Google maps though or SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Intelsat 10-02 (Intelsat 1002, Intelsat Alpha-2, Intelsat X-02, IS-1002) / Thor 5 (Thor 2R) / Thor 6 (Intelsat 1W, IS-1W) / Thor 7.
Once you bring up the satellite footprint you want, click in the location on the map where you intend to install it, and it supplies minimum size and other information.
thanks - that worked pretty well, although in some places where it recommended a 200cm dish, a 75cm is working fine.

nonetheless, a pretty good tool
post #878 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-09-23, 12:00 PM

advice on moving, for the southern provinces...

for the first time in 15 years we may have to move (change CDN billing address), due to the physical sale of the CDN billing address.
What's the current process with Shaw Direct for moving, especially if one isn't looking for any assistance from Shaw's installers?
Is that still possible? Do we just "move", phone in and report the new billing address?
Leesnurg likes this.
post #879 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-09-30, 08:42 PM

Question Why does Shaw turn off our HD channel?

We noticed this last week then tonite again. We tried to watch Rosewood on Fox East HD and just as the show started the channel went off. So we watched on Fox SD. TOnite again. We looked at listings on the computer and we don't see a Cdn HD channel showing it at the same time, only one Cdn Sd station, so it isnt a simsub. So why does Shaw keep turning off the HD station??

Last edited by 57; 2015-09-30 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Moved to this thread.
post #880 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-09-30, 10:22 PM

Are you in a 'Southern' Province and do you have the newest type of LNB for xKU band. If so it sounds like its a simsub to the G1 satellite. Rosewood is on CHCH-HD which is on the G1 satellite. If you are south of the G1 footprint you will get a simsub to a transponder you cant receive.

LONSat
post #881 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-09-30, 10:59 PM

Hi Lonsat yes we are south of BC (way south) and we dont get G1. But like I said I looked at the TV guide on the computer (not on the rcvr) and the only HD for Rosewood was on Fox, there was no Cdn station listed. But you think there's an HD for CHCh even though it isn't listed? That would explain it but then why isn't it listed? Thx!
post #882 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-10-01, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Which Fox station?
post #883 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-10-01, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayguy View Post
Hi Lonsat yes we are south of BC (way south) and we dont get G1. But like I said I looked at the TV guide on the computer (not on the rcvr) and the only HD for Rosewood was on Fox, there was no Cdn station listed. But you think there's an HD for CHCh even though it isn't listed? That would explain it but then why isn't it listed? Thx!
Some Canadian broadcasters run programs on different nights then the host, American network. Quantico is one of those. Is it possible this is as well?
post #884 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-10-01, 02:09 PM

Hi Classicsat and TVmaster.

The FOx station was Fox East (Rochester?) on 323. I think its also on 561.

I just looked at a different listings and this one says there is a CHCH HD it's on 536. So that must be what happened Shaw put CHCH on the Fox East channel but we can't get CHCH HD in California so it was blank. I don't know why the other TV listings didn't mention a CHCH HD so thats why I was confused because I didn't think it was a simsub.

Rosewood is weird b'cuz it looks like CHCH is the only station in Canada that carries it! Why would that be? Sry this might be a little off topic for this thread.

Thanks to 57 for moving this to this thread b'cuz the problem was from us being in California after all.
post #885 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-10-01, 03:36 PM

CHCH is an independent - ie not affiliated with any of the main networks in Canada. Sometimes the shows it purchases show up on CHEK from Victoria. None of the private networks CTV/City/Global picked it up and looks like CHCH was the only one interested. I would imagine that the FOX west feed would be ok for you and not simsubbed. If you have a PVR you could record that timeslot or watch it live. I assume you are on the west coast so FOX west shouldn't be too late. Your other option would be to watch it OTA over the air if you have a local FOX affiliate.

LONSat

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in