Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 63 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #931 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 01:14 PM

Lose HD channels at exactly 10 am

I have a Shaw Direct dish in Phoenix Arizona. I can watch some HD channels in the morning but then at exactly 10 am every morning I lose the signal. As an example I always lose channel 326 ABC HD in Seattle. I called Shaw Direct about this but I could never get an answer that made any sense. They just said that satellite wasn't available to me in Phoenix. But the channel does come back later in the day and I can watch it again.

It is frustrating to lose some channels at exactly 10 am every morning especially when I want to watch in HD.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Last edited by 57; 2015-11-09 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread - similar discussions page 59 of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 02:43 PM

In Phoenix you are outside the footprint of the Anik G1 Satellite. What is happening at 10am is the signal from ABC HD is being replaced with a signal from a Canadian station, commonly referred to as simsub, due to Canadian TV broadcast rules. That Canadian signal is being sent from a satellite you cannot receive ie G1. You will either have to watch in SD get an older style LNB or a 500 series receiver that cannot "decode" the G1 signal and therefore not be simsubbed. These types of simsubs will happen all over the course of the day and depending on what shows you watch and if they are on a Canadian station at the same time.

LONSat
post #933 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 11:19 AM

Unhappy That's the pits

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that a program appearing at the SAME TIME on a Canadian channel and a US channel will be only be able to be viewed on G1? Tuning to the Canadian channel will be mapped to the US channel in a 600 series receiver, eg PVR630?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
...That (simsubbed) Canadian signal is being sent from a satellite you cannot receive ie G1. .

post #934 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 11:56 AM
Veteran

Directlyperhaps.

The long version, is that if a program appears on a US channel and Canadian channel, the Canadian channel can ask to have the US feed substituted for the Canadian one (so far, I think on only Rogers and Shaw owned stations ask). Shaw is good,or bad, in that the substitution happens in the receiver, not the uplink. In your case that Canadian channel happens to be on G1, as it is likely a BC or Alberta station, add in HD when G1 went into service.

I am in Ontario, so many of the substitutions are on Toronto HD channels Shaw already carried in HD (mostly on F2).

But I am in Ontario, so get G1.
post #935 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 12:51 PM

Seeing as you cannot receive the G1 signal you might want to look for the older syle quad LNB. It can only receive signals from the F1R and F2 satellite. With that style on LNB you would get the west coast American networks in HD as it cannot "decode" the G1 satellite signal. With the older style LNB you will get the maximum number of HD channels base on your location. It would require Shaw to update the code on your receiver so the correct channel map is downloaded.

LONSat
post #936 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 07:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
I have a Shaw Direct dish in Phoenix Arizona. I can watch some HD channels in the morning but then at exactly 10 am every morning I lose the signal. As an example I always lose channel 326 ABC HD in Seattle. I called Shaw Direct about this but I could never get an answer that made any sense. They just said that satellite wasn't available to me in Phoenix. But the channel does come back later in the day and I can watch it again.

It is frustrating to lose some channels at exactly 10 am every morning especially when I want to watch in HD.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
You may be experiencing a solar "burnout". During part of the day in Arizona, the dish points almost directly at the sun, which overwhelms the sat. signal.

I lose all service for about 15 minutes around noon mid-March near Yuma. Just have to wait it out like rain fade.
post #937 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 10:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Solar/Sun Transit occurs around the equinox (we are not near the equinox).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_transit

Times for various satellites and locations can be found via the following link:

https://www.telesat.com/tools-resour...sit-calculator

The correct response (simsubs) was suggested in post 932 and discussed in posts on page 59 of this thread (post 879 onwards - link below)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...ml#post2613761

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #938 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 10:28 AM

what program is it, and is the same program on a Canadian channel at the same time?
post #939 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 09:13 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
The same thing happens to IR when the sun shines on the IR port. Happens to all IR remotes not just SD.
post #940 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-28, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Well we are bummed out, just came to our place in southern Nevada and our 530 pvr is dead. We left it plugged in so it would keep updated but no power at all on it. It looks like 3 months without Shaw, went through all possible ways to reset but nothing!!!!! It does have a slight clicking noise on the right side and when I turn the amp for the speakers on it sounds like a base drum ...boom booom booom the same as the clicking in the 530. I thinks is shot, also the little tower to receive our broadband internet was dead and had to be replaced. We were not here for 9 months so have no clue what happened. On the good side bought an outdoor antenna from a garage sale and do get 15 hd channels over the air from Las Vegas. Just a rant to let off steam ...ahh I feel better already...lol
post #941 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 12:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Lots of storms in that area this summer. Probably a power surge. Suggest you get a UPS for the electronics like the PVR, which would also give you some surge protection. You may wish to consider unplugging for that length of time and/or taking it back with you.

UPS thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-...ml#post2100482
schmuly likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #942 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Strange phenomenon

Hi,
I need some help understanding what is going on with my Shaw installation.

Any help will be appreciated.

My installation:

-75cm dish with old quad LNB
-Zinwell multiswitch 6x16
-DSRHD600 receivers
-Users have different channel plans. Most are receiving TVA HD on 381 and a few on 245
-Dish seems to be properly aligned getting 80% on TVA HD (245 or 281) and 85% to 90% on RC HD (244 and 380).

Here is the problem:

Users that receive HD on 3XX channels seems to be working fine. They get all stations including 730 RDI.
Users that receive HD on 2XX channels have all HD stations but are missing quite a few like 730 RDI and may others. Everything that is missing is on F1.

The users that receive HD on 3XX then 730 RDI doesn't work get 0% but at times you see the signal indicator jumping to 50, 60 and even 90 for a short period of time.

I thought that the dish was misaligned but why are some users getting a steady 95% on 730 RDI and others nothing?

The problem follows the receiver if I connect to different places in the building. If I connect it to a different dish elsewhere then the receiver works flawless including RDI 730.

Thank you

Placasse47

Last edited by 57; 2015-11-29 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Moved to this thread.
post #943 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 03:02 PM

This sounds like a condo or apartment setup. It does sound like channel mapping is the issue. If all the receivers are 600 series then it would be advantageous to upgrade to the new xku lnb which gets G1 and would give everyone more HD channels. A very slight chance it is a switching issue.
The first thing to do is determine the channel mapping is correct and the same. Or at least for classic or advanced. I bet Shaw has them mapped for the new Lnb.
If you do get a new Lnb, ensure it is for the 75E dish otherwise that will create more problems for you.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #944 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 07:10 PM
Rookie

We did a quick fix, ordered D****TV as a snowbird package, even got all the promotions and their new genie receivers. Install next week, they said most hd channels are 1080 and not 720, so we will see a difference with whatever we had....big smiley face. I will see if any difference in pic from Shaw-direct. To bad I couldn't compare side by side.

Last edited by schmuly; 2015-11-29 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
post #945 of 1664 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure everybody has a 600. I know for sure someone has a non HD receiver.
As far as the new LNB, what will happen if we only change the LNB for the new one without informing Shaw. This apartment building is in the US and we can contact them about the issue.

Thank you

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in