Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
because DSL gives you Dynamic / Static or whatever its called IP.
Actually, dynamic and static are opposites. Static is a synonym for "fixed". Technically, in your examples, all of the situations you describe are with a dynamic IP. Even if the IP address changes every few months, it's still considered a dynamic IP. It sounds strange, I know.

How your ISP does things seems very convenient - I wish I could do that! But, it isn't really related to the technology - it's more based on the features that your particular ISP decided to provide, or the manor in which they run their DHCP server. (My DSL ISP doesn't do that for example.)

Edit: Which ISP is this? That information might be useful to have :)

m. :)

PS - Coke vs. Pepsi, absolutely!

·
Registered
492 Posts
exactly .. got no idea how they (or anyone else for that matter) implement "whatever"

All i know is what i experienced in practice.. - if i can do something with such an ease on DSL (and any of my friends around the world also, who also have DSL and also simply regular coputer users, such as i am .. and NOT some techs as some of you here are (or at least it sounds that way) .. can do it too!) .. and i am told cuz DSL is dynamic IP (gives you dynamic IP or whatever (please don't play with words. - i simply say what i know.. and don't really care what it's called .. AS LONG AS IT WORKS!) :)

.. but then CANNOT do the same at CABLE (with ease or without ease) .. and people who know more about it (including technical support CSRs at Cable company) tell me that you can't do that in Cable..
That Cable is simply different technology.. and IPs are kinda "fixed" (and please don't tell me that "fixed" is not a word for it.. cuz to me "no matter")

Simply put .. in simple English language (which by the way is my 2nd lang. anyhow .. cuz i wasn't born "here") .. it's either works or it doesn't

and with DSL i CAN do (whatever was described in the example(s) above), where with CABLE - i CANNOT do :)

.. so in this case.. and for me anyhow.. and in Long Run anyways (not simply when i am trying cable for few months currently .. cuz my price is 10 bucks / a month .. and cuz i simply want to try it.. - just to experience, PERSONALLY both providers and technologies, instead of just talking about it here in the thread :) .. - and for my internet habits .. - DSL would be more suitable, flexible and appropriate to have as a prolonged internet experience (and Cable CSRs, by the way, agree with me alo after hearing what i have to tell them (about what i want to do on the net and how to do it) .. maybe simply just to get rid of me, lol, cuz they had enough.. but they DO agree with me (that if i want what i am talking about - "go with DSL" basically)

But again.. to be fare to the rest of people here.. i DO acknoledge .. that if they don't do many downloads on internet from various HTTP sites, etc (not just from torrent, where there is no need to change IP when wanted / needed .. so fixed one is fine too) .. - Cable is fine for them .. and basically they will not see any difference between CABLE and DSL
Both services are fast and reliable nowadays ..
Then they ll just need to select which one to go with in a long run.. (considering such things as the price, the long term deal they can work out with provider etc)...

for them it IS basically like "What do you like more Coke or Pepse" .. - cuz both services for them would be fast enough, reliable enough, good enough.. and almost the same

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Darkman00, we are a pretty nitpicky bunch here sometimes :), so please don't take exception to my comment:

There's a difference between what cable/DSL is technically capable of and what the particular ISP chooses to allow.

Many of your comments, starting back to post#2 say that cable cannot do this and DSL can do this, but your comments are simply not correct.

What may be correct is that your local cable company implements restrictions that are less favourable than your local DSL company, but that's a different discussion and not the question that the original poster in post#1 asked.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Actually, dynamic and static are opposites. Static is a synonym for "fixed". Technically, in your examples, all of the situations you describe are with a dynamic IP. Even if the IP address changes every few months, it's still considered a dynamic IP. It sounds strange, I know.

How your ISP does things seems very convenient - I wish I could do that! But, it isn't really related to the technology - it's more based on the features that your particular ISP decided to provide, or the manor in which they run their DHCP server. (My DSL ISP doesn't do that for example.)

Edit: Which ISP is this? That information might be useful to have

m.

PS - Coke vs. Pepsi, absolutely!
OK ..scratch what i said then if my terminology was incorrect..

Let me try fresh then..

Regular DSL internet service / modem (non DSL TV one) etc - is / provide "dynamic" IP (which can easily be changed, if needed, by "disconnect from the net / connect back to the net" with an ease of a mouse...

Where Cable internet service / modem etc - is / provide "static" IP (aka "fixed" IP) (which can NOT easily be changed, if wanted / needed).. cuz Cable technology is just like that...

As to "Which DSL ISP are we talking about?" (re: "How your ISP does things seems very convenient - I wish I could do that!") .. :

I suspect that any basic / standard DSL isp provider / modem has this ...

Like i had Primus DSL before.. - and it had the above mentioned "dynamic" IP
Service was not too good (another story).. but it had this..

Winnipeg's own, local DSL provider - MTS (DSL) - has it also...

My friends around the world.. - Europe etc.. CAN do it too .. who have DSL service .. which is actually much faster than our basic DSL service and cheaper also (lucky people) . .and they got so many providers there.. (not like here where we don't have much choice .. say 2 or 3 or so)

The only reason why some of you who do have DSL .. but seems like can't experience what i am talkng about .. IS, i would say, cuz they, more likely have some type of DSL TV , ULTIMATE DSL TV (maybe with new boxes, HDTV boxes etc) .. .. then as my local DSL CSR (manager actually) told me.. - you would get a different modem .. would be different techology (upload for example would be faster than on regulal DSL modems) .. BUT .. - you would lose the "dynamic IP" (that can easily changes) .. IP will become kinda "fixed" basically, same as IP on Cable internet (that can NOT be easily changed .. NOT by a regular, simple, "everyday folk" such as i am, anyhow) :D

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Darkman00 said:
but YOU tell me then
You certainly left yourself open with that one. In your post you seem to be generally applying limited or mistaken info and situations. For example, with DHCP, you can configure for a static address, one that changes only when necessary or one that changes frequently. The method used depends on the ISP, not the technology.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Regular DSL internet service / modem (non DSL TV one) etc - is / provide "dynamic" IP
Where Cable internet service / modem etc - is / provide "static" IP (aka "fixed" IP)
Many ADSL ISPs provide static addresses. On the other hand, I'm on cable and have DHCP. In my case, the addresses change rarely, but it doesn't have to be that way. It all depends on how the ISP configures the network. I can change my IP address, but I have to manually release it and then wait a while (1 week IIRC) to get a new address. But then, many people prefer static addresses. You seem to be the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What may be correct is that your local cable company implements restrictions that are less favourable than your local DSL company...
Possibly you got me there..

BUT i suspect that is not like that ONLY at my local Cable company (which is SHAW Cable) .. but at majority of Cable internet providers / modems etc..

Take some of my friends for example

One guy is in Holland .. with Cable internet provider.. - reliable, fast service (he can upload somewhere 300 - 500 kb/sec (where i can upload only 50 kb/sec or so.. - with my regular high speed cable or dsl provider(s)) .. BUT his IP is "fixed" .. - he cannot disconnect from the net / connect back to the net with his mouse, unplug the modem / plug it back , shut off computer and restart it (which is already an inconvinience, if you ask me) .. and has his IP change.. he simply CANNOT .. (he tried .. "no go")

SO basically .. as we are more concerned here about Canadian ISPs .. - People who have Cable internet .. and can "instantly" change their IP with ease (say with a click of the mouse), "raise your hands" :)

.. and tell us which Cable provider it is .. and what is the exact procedure used to change you IP with ease :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
JamesK,

Ya.. if you read what i said .. - let it be "i am an exception to the rule"

I mentioned why and where i might occasionally like to change my IP .. and when needed to do so.. i can do it with ease.. in a second...

Other than that.. - i give up basically, LOL..

One more time - i am NOT as technical as some of you here, seem to be ..

Like for example .. i don't even know what DHCP mean (and to tell you the truth.. i don't even want to know) :)

All i know .. from what i saw, quickly reading through your post... :
"I can change my IP address, but I have to manually release it and then wait a while (1 week IIRC) to get a new address."

See.. that i know actually.. sooner or later you CAN change CABLE's IP .. BUT, LOL.. - waiting 1 week will NOT be quick enough, satisfactory enough and good enough in my example..

Cuz in my case.. sometimes i want to my IP changed "instantly" (within seconds) .. and i CAN do it..
Where from what you said there above.. - you can do it in "1 week" ONLY etc

Even, if say you can do it in few hours etc.. - for me it's still will not be instant and will not be good enough.. - basically i want it NOW..
cuz .. from that Hotfile's example .. - say, in 30 minutes .. in an Hour .. the site will let me download again anyhow..
So being able to change my IP in few hours or in a week.. - will be useless and not needed.. (i want it NOW .. so i don't need to wait 30 minutes or an hour to download again)

..."But then, many people prefer static addresses. You seem to be the exception to the rule."

Cool.. and i like to keep it that way :)
Let them prefer what they prefer .. and i ll prefer what i prefer .. thank you very much :)

If everyone in this world was the same - life would have been very boring .. - everyone would blend in..

Some variety, spice etc can never hurt and keeps things interesting ;-)

·
Registered
492 Posts
you d be suprised, travisc, LOL .. how many people care about it, or at the very least DO NOT MIND having it if it's there..

for some basically.. if it's not there - it's not there.. and if it's there - it's gravy :)

as far as I AM concerned.. - if i have a choice.. and CAN have the gravy .. why not .. serve it to me! :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow, I never thought we could get so much mileage out of a "feature" 99.999% of people don't care about.
Today for example.. just now...

Downloaded few files at Megaupload .. and then the program that i download with made a sound (lol), meaning there is some conflict or something like that...
So i looked (in the program) and it says there "Download limit exceeded" or something like that ;)

So i went to Megaupload's link directly (with the browser) .. to check out the link etc.. and it says there the same thing basically (with a bit more info) .. - When i checked there it said: (at the time of me checking)

"Download limit is exceeded. Wait 110 minutes before continue" (more likely was 120 min. wait.. but when i checked 10 minutes passed already). ".. or to avold waiting you can purchased Premium Membership" (or something like that)

So now have to wait those 110 minutes or whatever ... (with Shaw Cable.. or more likely with any Cable company or any Canadian Cable company etc (cuz Cable "just works like that")

With my previous provider (MTS, DSL) .. if i would encountered that "110 minutes wait situation" above .. i would "disconnect from internet / connect back" .. and basically in a few seconds i would be downloading there at Megaupload again (or at any other similar service) :D

If many of you "tech. people" can tell me any other way i can download at Cable here, instead of waiting those 110 minutes at first, for the situation above basically (without telling me "go buy Premium account there", of course) .. by ALL means.. Be my guest! ;-)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Again, 99.999% of people don't care.

I believe with cable you need to spoof a different MAC address to get a new IP. I'm too lazy to look into it further, but I know it's not that complicated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ya.. impossible another words :D

don't even have Mac (but you more likely refering to something else anyhow... to some MAC address) :)

Don't think i ll stay here at Cable though.. when my promo ends.. - for the long term i ll be looking at DSL again (unless some new technology comes)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well lets solve this static/dynamic thing first...

The reason cable appears static is because of the lease times on the ip. Most cable providers set them into the hours, like 24 hours... On cable you can have dynamic, or static ips or even statically assigned dynamic addresses.

DSL on the other hand you can have a fairly static dynamic address but it all depends on if your isp increases their least time... Again on dsl you can have a static ip assigned to your pppoe connection or in the case of HSA you can assign the ip directly to the customer's equipment. Most dsl providers don't put a high lease time on their addresses so they will be released back into the pool quicker so they don't need to keep as many set aside, since not everyone is online at the same time.

So really there is multiple ways to do the same thing, and I have dealt with all these ways.

As for quickly changing your ip on cable there is ways, one program I am thinking of off the top of my head is called SMAC. Since your ip is attached to your mac address if you change mac addresses your ip will change. This allows you to change your ip when ever you want on cable. If you are using a router its even easier... just change the mac within the router...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for good / interesting info jb...

So that program SMAC .. will it run on Windows Vista? :)

Didn't Google it yet (.. going to soon :) ) .. - but just in case .. - Is it FREEWARE? .. and where to download it.

Don't have a router by the way...

------
EDIT:

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=SMAC&fp=a7248a2e7a166964

"PCWorld Award - SMAC MAC Address Changer for Windows 2000, 2003 ...
Change MAC Address in Windows 2000, XP, 2003, VISTA."

http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac

.. will go and read on it somewhat .. thanks again :)

----------

NOT a FREEWARE .. but some powerful chit!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
^^^^
Given the security risks with Windows, please, PLEASE get yourself a firewall/router.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I couldn't get this thingy to work anyhow.. (not without a reboot anyways, which is an inconvinience to me often)

Didn't try if it works after the reboot...

So for now will surf as is .. without any "change MAC address software" :)

It's not the same anyways.. as disconnect / connect back with a click of a mouse :)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
^^^^
It's usually very easy to change the MAC address on routers.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ya .. don't have a router though .. and not sure when / if get one ...

Can i run a router by the way with ONLY 1 computer? :)

Never had a router in my life :D

21 - 40 of 44 Posts