Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
with ONLY 1 computer?
Yes, you can run one with as many as you wish, but generally they support a maximum of only 254. ;-)

You can even configure them to support much more than that, but you will, of course, run into bandwidth issues.

By using one, you'll shield your computer from many of the attacks via the internet.

BTW, many of those boxes run Linux or BSD Unix, because those operating systems, unlike Windows, are very secure on their own. Macs are BSD based. Many people, myself included, build their own firewall/router with Linux on an old computer. You can even get a very secure version of Linux developed by the U.S. National Security Agency.

·
Registered
725 Posts
As many have said, cable is not tied to static IP policy. I've used Comcast (cable) in the US in the past with speed so fast that download status window from IE didn't even get enough time to calculate download speed before the download session would be finished. I used router with Comcast and it was easy to change MAC address and renew DHCP lease instantly (not a week) for exactly your purpose, darkman. There was also no throttling on popular file hosting sites. I could do GBs of downloads from say Rapidshare free account (no hotfile back then) no slower than with Rapidshare premium account.

My point is that, darkman, what your gripe about cable is not because of cable nature. It could just happen to be related to what your particular cable company does, but more likely I think is related to your limited technical abilities (as you suggested yourself).

BTW, like others have said. Use a router for security sake. It's much easier to setup than you think. Hack, there are even programs like jDownloader that contain a database of router scripts that can change MAC address (no it has nothing to do with a MAC/Apple) on your router in order to get a new IP for exactly your purpose. You just feed jDownloader all your hotfile links and the program will renew DHCP lease for a new IP (may need to reboot modem) after each download.

Now back to the original question. Like many have said, both cable and DSL technologies have matured so much now that any issue is more likely provider-related instead of technology-related. That means there is no quick answer to which of cable/DSL is better. It all depends on the particular providers in your neighborhood so it's better to gather info within your neighborhood, whether through this forum or not.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Now back to the original question. Like many have said, both cable and DSL technologies have matured so much now that any issue is more likely provider-related instead of technology-related. That means there is no quick answer to which of cable/DSL is better.
... unless your 'issue' is that you would like to have a 50Mbps or 100Mbps connection speed. In that case DSL service can't help you, but a DOCSIS 3 connection can.

For lower end connections, I'd agree. There is no difference other than the ISP related issues.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts