Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It LOOKS like LOOK OTA is defunct... LOOK here! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Communications :p

Though it seemed to be a good alternative to cable/satelite providers, LOOK OTA failed to make profit. The antenna might actually be useful to snag some free satelite signals using a FTA box. Probably not worth the effort though. Hmmm,... a source for spare experimental parts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
^^^^ Not sure about satellite, but you could possibly use their antennas for WiFi applications.

Either way, the point here is that the equipment is not suitable for OTA broadcast TV reception. Yet some people are selling them used as "TV antennas". One ad I saw on Kijiji was selling the antenna and tripod for $70! Locally, I can buy the same tripod brand-new for about $30.

You can re-purpose the tripods, masts and coax for OTA, but ditch the LOOK antenna for TV. And don't pay too much to someone claiming that it's a TV antenna.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Found another over hyped antenna, the NorthVu NV20 Pro.

This "Ottawa made antenna" claims to be the "the first commercially available Indoor TV Antenna to incorporate NorthVu's patent-pending fractal antenna system" whatever that means. They claim it is Omni-Directional, yet also say it "is perfect for pulling in more channels in multipath environments than traditional TV antennas," two things that contradict each other in antenna design since the antenna has no idea which are the desired or undesired signals. The only way an antenna can deal with multipath is by being very directional.

Another warning sign is that they don't provide any meaningful specifications for the antenna other than a vague "Reception Range" and "Reception Frequencies". Strangely they say it works on VHF from 88 MHz to 218 MHz which conspicuously includes channel 6 on VHF-LO but excludes channels 2-5. :rolleyes:

They even provide a link to a review in the Ottawa Citizen where the only comparison the author makes is that it doesn't work as well as his neighbor's antenna, but yet he still manages to recommend it. :confused:

My recommendation is stay away from this one.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Good catch, Roger1818. Definitely one to avoid.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Another wonder-antenna ad?

This SP6 AX-969 antenna sounds so wonderful:p that I just had to copy the whole thing here:

Spectrum6 Amplified Outdoor TV Antenna with Motor Rotor SP6 AX-969
http://www.spectrumantenna.com/Long-Range-High-Gain-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-p/sp6.htm

Highest Rated Outdoor TV Antenna. 2012 Model Antenna Pros Amplified Digital Outdoor HD TV Antenna with 360 Degree Motorized Rotation UHF/VHF AX-969 Spectrum 6

•2012 Model - The AX-969 Spectrum 6 comes in a sleek design and 3 boom power for 2012
•Our best antenna for UHF/VHF TV reception!
•CEA certified for all color zones
•Get crisp clear signals. Over the air (OTA) broadcasts are not compressed like cable or satellite so you will get the clearest picture using an over the air antenna such as this one.
•Pick up stations from up to 150 Miles. Great for picking up signals from up to 150 miles away thanks to the new hiVOLT signal booster and control box. The hiVOLT control box has a high gain amplifier and can control the rotation of the antenna. It also has overload protection.
•Any Color Code - This large directional antenna can be used in any color code specified on AntennaWeb.org

•Channels 1-69
•Frequency (VHF) 40-300MHZ
•Frequency(UHF) 470-862MHz
•Gain(VHF) 17 to 23dB
•Gain(UHF) 25 to 35dB
•Power 3W
•Max. Rotation 360˚
•Impedance 75Ω
•Max. Output Level 145 dBµV
•Working Voltage 110V/60Hz
•Noise Margin <3dB

Features

•Dimensions are 38" x 23" x 15"
•Built-in high gain booster
•New 2012 model hiVOLT signal booster and control unit with overload protection function
•3 boom design makes the reception stronger and signal clearer
•18 elements for maximum reception
•Infrared remote controlled rotor for long distance reception and anti-interference
•Tool free installation
•360 degree rotation by remote control
•UHF/VHF TV and FM radio
•Super active outdoor antenna
•High quality far ranging reception, up to 150 miles
•Optional manual operation
•Easy to install and operate
•Maximum Signal Amplification with the hiVOLT signal booster box
•Works on all digital TVs. One cable solution for all your TVs at home.
•2 TV outputs. If you want to connect to more than 2 TVs, use a distribution amplifier.
•Grabs all digital and analog signals
•Install outdoors or in the attic
•Range up to 150 miles
•Super low noise amplifier, less than 3dB
•Easy to mount and install. Only a small 1" diameter mounting pole is needed but has adjustable clamp for larger poles.
•DTV transition ready! Up to a 150 mile reception range!
•Grabs local channels fast and clearly!
•Full U.S.,Canada, and Mexico Coverage

The antenna comes with a built-in rotor (motor), which can turn a full 360 degrees using the infrared remote control included in the package. This is the perfect solution for any rural or suburban area because it can pick up signals for up to 150 miles. Since the antenna can be aimed in any particular direction, you will be able to pick up TV signals much better than with a regular fixed or rabbit ears antenna.This is because directional antennas are more focused so it can have a higher dB gain. The higher the gain, the better it is for picking up signals from far away. If you are close to the broadcast towers you should not get a high gain antenna, but rather a lower gain one so that it is less directional.

Easy Installation
This unit is easy to install and requires no additional tools. Assembles in minutes. Only a small 1" diameter mounting pole is needed. Although the pole is not included, it can be easily purchased at any hardware store.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Wow! It even receives channel 1! LOL
Does it also include a time travel function, so you can go back to when there was a channel 1?. ;-)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
This SP6 AX-969 antenna has amazing extra-terrestrial powers!
•DTV transition ready! Up to a 150 mile reception range!
•Grabs local channels fast and clearly!
•Full U.S.,Canada, and Mexico Coverage
I didn't realize that US, Canada and Mexico were all within this antenna's 150 mile range:p The world is smaller than you think!. Maybe if I install a few of them I can get Russia and Brazil too!;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
All kidding aside, has anyone actually tried this device?

I realize it looks too good to be true. It says all the right things to be enticing to first time purchasers and if you watch the video it actually appears to made fairly well. Let's face it, many of us would perhaps be tempted to buy an all-in-one antenna/pre-amp/rotor for $90 if not for our participation on DigitalHome and the knowledge we have gained here.

I'd like to hear from some actual users about how crappy (or good?) this thing is before I dismiss it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
All kidding aside, has anyone actually tried this device?

I realize it looks too good to be true. It says all the right things to be enticing to first time purchasers and if you watch the video it actually appears to made fairly well. Let's face it, many of us would perhaps be tempted to buy an all-in-one antenna/pre-amp/rotor for $90 if not for our participation on DigitalHome and the knowledge we have gained here.

I'd like to hear from some actual users about how crappy (or good?) this thing is before I dismiss it.
I'm guessing it has to work somewhat, or else why would they still make them / how would they stay in business. Or maybe people keep buying them and they crap out and are stuck with them and the company still gets the money.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Electronics Master is a re-brand of a certain unmentionable brand of antennas on this forum that should be avoided.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Electronics master form Best buy?? anyone seen this? Looks like a channel master rip off
Hello stent00

I seriously hope no one wastes their money on this brand. As an aside, I've long given up hope for quality antennas from FS or BB. The only main retail "mall chain" that has decent equipment is The Source but most of the stuff I buy is online from OTA specialty stores who usually have better selection, prices and the know-how to help you out.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I've long given up hope for quality antennas from FS or BB.
Actually, I just noticed they have started selling the Antennas Direct DB-4e at a very good price (a hidden gem in the mound of garbage).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been lurking, looking at different antenna designs. When I came across this thread, I just had to join and post. :)

Actually I think the pics look great so far, whether they work or not.

Well here are a couple of designs I came across in my searches that don't look good at all but are funny beyond words. These are not commercial but "DIY".

How to build TV antenna from a beer can. DIY, free TV

10$ Tv Antenna Hack !!

I especially love the materials used for this one: a Luxo lamp shade with a rough hole torn in it, kitchen forks, shoelaces, old rabbit ears, and he still managed to spend $10 on it, heh-heh. And I love his "clear and well made" connections.

These remind me of a former "engineer" colleague of mine. LOL!

·
Registered
78 Posts
More stuff from eBay. Now they sell them in pairs... ;)

2x 1080p Outdoor HDTV Amplified Digital HD Rotor Remote 360 Rotation TV Antenna

Description:

Our HDTV Antenna is optimized for digital reception and receives local HDTV, VHF and UHF signals for a range of up to 125 miles . This antenna is optimal for receiving the highest quality UHF and HD signals available. With an HD television, you will pick up any crystal clear HD signals being broadcasted in your area. The antenna comes with a remote-control which allows 360 degree rotational direction.

Product Details:

Quantity: 2
Offers optimum reception for today's digital broadcasts
Receives HDTV, High VHF and UHF signals
Frequency: 47-860MHz
Gain: 28-35dB
Easy to install; easily mount to a traditional antenna mast
Remote Controlled 360° Full-Direction Rotation Motor
Remote Control (battery not included)
Control Box with Power Supply
High Sensitivity Reception
Clear images but low noise and good voice
Built In Super Low Noise Amplifier
VHF/UHF Channel Receivable
Very solid construction to avoid interference by rain and snow
The rotor assembly will mount onto 1” diameter poles
The signal to rotate the rotor is supplied via the coaxial cable which is preinstalled with the unit

NOTE: Veritcal mounting post is not included

81 - 100 of 127 Posts