44 Posts
What HDTV you bought:
A: Panasonic 50GT25

When you bought it
A: Last week

What other HDTV's you considered
A: Panasonic 50G25, 50ST30

Why you bought the set you did
A: Price. Was planning on getting the G25 but managed to get the GT for $400 less then what the G25 was going for.

Likes and Dislikes
A: Likes - Amazing PQ.
Dislikes - Did not come with 3D glasses and needs pricey adaptor for WiFi. Although I don't plan on using it for 3D so not glasses not really a big deal and I could always set up a bridge.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What HDTV you bought:
Panasonic TC-P42U1 (Plasma)

When you bought it:
JAN'10

What other HDTV's you considered:
Sharp LCD

Why you bought the set you did:
Picture quality

Likes and Dislikes:
-Dislike: Freezes up Windows Media Center on TV power off/on

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
What type of HDTV bought: Samsung LN46C650 LCD

When bought: March 25, 2011

What other HDTV considered: None

Why you bought the set: Able to connect to the Internet without additional gadgets. Costco had a good price: $889.99. Also Costco's additional free one year warranty.

Likes: The P.Q. is spectacular in HD for movies, sports, and tropical settings such as "Survivor". "Blacks" are excellent (none of that dark gray stuff)

Dislikes: It doesn't do S.D. very well especially on the lower channels. However, if you by-pass the PVR/STB, the picture quality improves considerably. The room has to be quite dark, with the blinds tightly closed, as there are many reflections on the screen coming from the window.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What HDTV you boughtSony KDL60NX810

When you bought itJune 2011

What other HDTV's you consideredIt was between this model and the 60NX720. Also was thinking of the Sharp 925.

Why you bought the set you didLooked amazing in store, Incredible deal, highly rated.

Likes and DislikesLikes:Huge, colors, blacks are crazy good, DLNA, internet connectivity,
3D, menu navigation, thin, tons of connections, Wifi. When off, this thing
looks amazing with the Monolith design. One black sheet of glass is all you see.

Dislikes: The panel sits a little too low on the stand, 3D emitter is seperate
from the tv.

Thoughts: This is the late 2010 model so sales are bound to pop up.
If youre thinking about a big screen, look no further. This was close to top of the line back in november. Be careful tho because this model comes in 3 sizes. 46, 55 and 60 inches. The 46 and 55 inch models have a Samsung panel and is said to be inferior to the 60 inch panel thats made by Sharp.
The 60 incher is edge lit at all four sides whereas the 46 and 55 models are only edge lit top and bottom.
It may be a good idea to put a couple hundred more on the big boy.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
LG's entry level 42" plasma - 42PJ550

Purchased at the end of 2010.

Why? Cuz it was cheap and has much better contrast than LCD TVs costing $200 more, and my cabinet won't hold anything bigger than a 42".

Like:
1) Cost.
2) Contrast truly is much better than entry level LCD and most mid-end LCD.
3) Good blacks.
4) Cost.

Dislike:
1) Default colour calibration totally wrong. Extremely hard to calibrate by trial and error. Many higher end TVs have ballpark reasonable colour calibration out of the box and are easy to adjust from that. I had to pull out my Avia to get decent colour calibration on this one.
2) While the contrast is way better than mid-end LCDs, and it is not any better on this low end plasma than higher end LED TVs in 2011.
3) Image retention.

So IMO, at 40" to 42", pay $5xx for a plasma or else $8xx - $1200 for a non-plasma.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
HDTV model purchased: Philips 55PFL5505D
Date Purchased: June, 2011

Other models considered: LG 55LV5400

Reason for purchase: to replace a dying 50" DLP

• Very bright image

Dislikes:
  • Narrow field of view
  • No discrete remote commands for source/input selection
  • Inability to independently adjust overscan values (overscan options dependent on input source and other display settings)
  • Thick bezel

Final thoughts:
I feel like I can offer a more balanced opinion of this TV, having lived with it for a few weeks now. My first thought remains that it's a fantastic value at its sub-$1k price point (rather strange these days that a model released only last year is now considered 'old' and is on final clearance).

I'm very pleased with the overall image brightness, black levels, and sharpness/detail. The only significant negative characteristic is the very narrow field of view i.e. you don't have to stray that far off-axis before the image really begins to degrade and look washed-up - this is something I'm not used to. All the other items I listed under the dislikes are minor annoyances I can live with or work around.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What HDTV you bought

Samsung 466420

When you bought it

Thursday

What other HDTV's you considered

Samsung D6000

Why you bought the set you did

Feel comfortable with the Brand Samsung. Wanted mid class without going to the 7000, 8000 model #'s just to mutch.

Not enough viewing yet to say, other then the frame looks nice. Only viewed 3 hours.

Dislikes
I enjoy viewing my Samsung 46A650 more at the current moment and its around 4 years old. The newer set should blow the older one out of the water with technology advancements in that amount of time. Maybe my 46a650 is just a awesome tv that can go toe to toe with todays sets still. I think its just maybe I havent played around with the settings yet and spent enough time watching it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What: Sony 40EX500 for the bdrm
When: July 17/11
What others we considered: None
Why this one: We love our main tv which is a Sony
Dislikes: None yet,only have a few hours watching so far

·
Registered
326 Posts
What: Samsung UN60D8000
When: Last Month
Looked at LG, Sony, Panasonic before deciding on this one.
Love the look, thin, almost no frame, when mounted on wall recess (painted black) the screen is almost invisible!
Likes: Fantastic colours, blacks are amazing, never had such beautiful image definition. 3D is the best I have seen and the 3D glasses work really well, everyone who has seen the TV are in awe. I can access my Mediacenter PC and my Media Server via the wired connection, so that is a real bonus.
Dislikes: Smarthub, isn't very well developed, but with firmware updates I am sure this will be improved.
Bottom Line: Cost a lot of money, but I would spend it again tomorrow for this LED/LCD!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Latest TV set: Samsung 58" plasma (PN58C7000) in November of 2010 and live to enjoy every minute of it.

Other sets considered: Looked at the Panasonic line of mid-range plasma (T20) since I own a TH42PX600U still displaying great plasma 5 years running.

What motivated my selection:
  • I cannot stand the poor picture quality of even the best LCD/LED display so my choices were limited to a few manufacturers which I consider to be a very good thing!
  • I view Samsung as a manufacturer that pays attention to perks in adding many little attractive features to their different lines of products.
  • Quality construction and one of the only alternatives to overpriced Panasonic

Pros: Very crisp plasma with deep blacks; limitless video tweaking options; 3D is convincting; numerous peripheral connectivity outlets with USB and digital audio out and networking with DLNA; Netflix and Youtube support; slim bezel.

Cons: Bezel might have been even thinner by abandoning the totally useless speakers; plasma gets a bit warm which might explain why picture tends to blur a tiny bit after a while; Remote control buttons too flush and badly arranged; IR receiver not very sensitive.

Conclusion: I enjoy this set but wouldn't recommend it for extended viewing (more than 3 hours) or for background noise as this would sure shorten lifespan of the picture tube. But after Panasonic which is getting to be a bit pricey for what it's worth, Samsung offers the closest to CRTs, which in my opinion retain the title for "best picture".

·
Registered
205 Posts
HDTV Purchased Sony Bravia NX 720 60 inch in August 2011

Others considered: none seriously

Why:
1. exceptional word of mouth
2. excellent picture quality
3. Internet capable
4. previous high degree of satisfaction with Sony products
5. been around long enough to have a fair number of reviews, all of which were positive

Pros.
1. Picture quality is outstanding. e.g. NFL is exceptional (my pool performance is up!)
2. Connectivity options are numerous and logical
3. some of the bonus features (one button Netflix, Skype, Youtube access) are useful 4. beautiful ultra-slim, sleek, look
5. worked exactly as promised right out of the box - set up took 15 minutes plus 10 minutes firmware update download.

Cons.
1. Streaming is restricted to certain file types
2. so many features that there is a learning curve ( maybe not a con, but I wish I had more time)

TBD.
3D - seems mediocre to me, but I'm still playing with it.

Bottom line - worth every dollar, has transformed viewing for me. Both thumbs up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What HDTV you bought: LG 47LW5700 47" 3D LED/LCD & LG 42LW5700 42" 3D LEC/LCD TV

When you bought it: Aug 2011 & Sept 2011

What other HDTV's you considered: Philips, Sony, & Samsung

Why you bought the set you did: Replacing 2 old Sony 27" TV's with no digital tuner. I'm an OTA guy, so I needed TV's with a digital ASTC tuner. The price was great and the picture quality was equally better than the 3 other TV brands considered.

120Hz refresh rate is great for sports actions
3D quality is great with Passive 3D glasses
Wired & Wireless Internet
Lots of inputs, especially to my networked 2TB HD storage

Dislikes
Streaming over wi-fi even with the router 15 feet away is less than perfect. Wired to router solved this problem.
Weak internal speakers. Solved by adding a home theater receiver and speakers
Some of LG's apps are not available to Canadians yet, but they promised that will be fixed soon.

Conclusion: I bought the 47" first for the family room and was impressed with its quality and features, that I bought the smaller 42" a month later for the master bedroom. Both are wall mounted on fully extendable mounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What HDTV you bought: Samsung PN59D8000

When you bought it: September 2011, Visions Electronics.

Why you bought the set you did: Just bought a new place that would accommodate a larger sized HDTV than originally planned. Researched comparable hardware from 55 to 60 inches and liked the features available on this device. This device got better ratings than the Panasonic models I also considered. Visions wanted my business and came down considerably on the MSRP unlike the other big box stores. It was all about the picture quality for me.

Likes: I am currently using OTA and Netflicks for movie viewing and the picture quality is first rate. Colours and blacks are too good to describe. Features like the Allshare, Smarthub, Skype and the built-in wireless LAN are great features.

Dislikes: Hard to fault the device. The Samsung app store is kind of weak but for free what can you expect. I am sure the library of apps will grow. The manual could be more helpful.

Conclusion: If you have the room and can justify the price it’s a no brainer.

Funny story, when shopping for this TV with my girlfriend she spotted another TV and said “how big is this TV, that the size I want for my place”.
I replied “That’s a 70".
My buddies asked “So when are you marrying this girl”.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Which HDTV:Well I bought a Panasonic 65VT30 an October Build so I have the FBR update

Bought It whereGot it at Audio Video

Why I bought this TVI wanted the best pictture quality and reliability I could get,plus I had a 60 inch SXRD and you can not buy without going Bigger.Panasonic appears to have great support and this is my first Plasma.And most forum discussions are positive on this TV

LikesThe design and multiple picture adjustments for tweaking.Picture quality and network capability.No Blur during NHL games.

DislikesMan this TV is heavy compared to my SXRD.

ConclusionRetail price is a little high but if you can swing a deal to your satisfaction go for it.You will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My First Plasma

TV :panasonic TC-P50ST30
Bought : Best Buy St Catharines
I bought this tv because I really wanted 3D capability
The price was Terrific $899. and the reviews were very good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My First Plasma

Samsung PN51D450
Bought - Online at The Source
Price - $499.99

Was going to get this at Best Buy.ca on Dec 24th but they wanted $75 to ship it to my house. Same price at The Source but there was an option to pick up in store (although it hasn't been shipped yet so I'm still waiting).

·
Registered
257 Posts
bought a LG 42LK450 from Future Shop back in July.why? it was a 1 day sale and it 150 dollars off list price.i like everything about this tv,picture,sound all great.havnt found a fault as of yet.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pany

TV : 50st30 with two pairs of 3D glasses
$899 @ London Drugs- Latest TV purchase.

Why : My 60st30 has a great picture and has
given me no grief! And my 42"pany
plasma is still going after four years
of heavy use by five kids.

Tried a 60" LG - it went back two days later.

Picture quality is great in the living room with sunlight 60"
and in the basement 50", 42" bedroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What HDTV you bought:

LG 42" LED 1080i 120Hz Smart TV model 42lv5400

When you bought it:

Feb 12 2012

What other HDTV's you considered:

Sharp AQUOS Quattron 40" LED 1080i 120Hz Smart TV model LC40LE830U and the Samsung 40" LED 1080i 120Hz Smart TV model UN40D6000

Why you bought the set you did:

Actually, bought the Sharp first. It had a good price, great picture, easy internet setup, but unfortunately a terrible tuner. It would not hold channels very well on OTA. Lots of digital blobbing and total drops on stations that previously came in just fine. Sharp support admitted it to be a known issue and recommended their firmware upgrade. It didn't help at all. I returned the Sharp and moved to the LG with zero regrets. Great OTA reception, strong bright colours and built in wireless that connects to our internet router. All this at a great price so not much not to like. I thought the Samsung was great as well, but it comes with an ATSC tuner only, no NTSC. As we are fully OTA, that model of Samsung wouldn't pick up local OTA analog stations.

Likes and Dislikes:

Easy internet setup and as mentioned above, love the picture and rock solid TV reception. Plus, the usb port supports AVI; MPEG; DivX; MKV; MP4 movie formats so it's easy to download TV shows and movies to a thumb drive and watch them on the HDTV. One place it lacks is with the remote. It has no qwerty keyboard so net surfing on the TV is cumbersome. On the plus side, the TV does have many pre-loaded apps for such internet sites as youTube and NetFlix so they are a button push away. All in all, the LG 42lv5400 was a great buy for our needs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
RCA RLED3216A March 2012

Added the RCA LED television to our collection which includes a 37 inch Toshiba LCD and a 60 inch Sharp LED. Currently using the RCA as a monitor. OTA reception is excellent and the picture quality is very good....more than I expected from a bargain priced TV ($218) at WM. Did not know that the RCA name is now owned by Curtis International.

161 - 180 of 220 Posts