Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Last fall I bought an Emerson 26" LCD TV (LC260EM2), becasue they had no 24" LED/LCD TVs that I really wanted. The TV is nothing to write home about. It works fine though, for the living room TV, for HD satellite (Shaw Direct DSR605), DVD, and occasionally my computer (not my netbook, for that lacks VGA, which the netbook only has, and it is not worth my cost for a VGA to HDMI adapters. The plusses for this TV is three HDMI, and analog audio output. The negatives are most of the jacks are on the rear, so would interfere with a slim wall mount, and long boot time.

Yesterday I bought a Seiki 24" LE-24G90 LED lit LCD TV for my workroom, to use as a computer monitor and TV. As a TV it is great. The picture from HD digital broadast is spectaular, mostly because it is a 1080p panel. The TV has a time shift feature, which can buffer live digital TV onto a USB drive. It is nifty, and would use it if I used this TV to watch broadcast TV full time, as a least resort DVR. It does have USB media playback, but the only video supported is MPEG2. The plusses, LED baclkight with a total TV power draw of 40W. It has a mechanical mains switch, as well as the usual logic control. The front buttons are touch (though takes an initial touch to actviate the otherwise dormant controls), and on the front (not side or bottom). You can punch in the RF channel of a digital station, and it will scan and add the channels scanned to the list.
Minuses:Too many buttons on the remote. Most jacks on the rear, and what they call the side is halfway in from the back, which means a slim mount will not work with that set.

Of note, the Seiki uses very similar looking and operating firmware as the Soyo TV I bought a few years back, the Seiki adding USB support and a 50% trasparency. The overal deficiences of that software are: No zoom on full resolution HD (can't watch letterboxed Youtube fullscreen), video setup has to be done with the full menu screen, and the source menu front/side panel button is useless, because it lacks the "OK" button to select a source.

·
Registered
251 Posts
TV: Panasonic 55VT30

Bought: May 2011

Why: rated best plasma on the market

other sets considered: none.

pros: excellent blacks, 600hz subfield motion reduces judder and makes for smoother pans, 24p playback @ 96hz, motion smoothing feature, quick changing phosphors, THX mode, Amazing 1080p and BD playback.

cons: occasional digital patchiness and banding evident in broadcast HD. Poor upscaling for 480i sources..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our one and only television, a 10 year old, 47" rear-projection Panny died and instead of repair , thought it was time for something new.

What HDTV you bought:
Panasonic 50GT30

When you bought it:
This past Saturday

What other HDTV's you considered:
2012 Panasonic GT and VT models, Panasonic 55VT30, Panasonic 50VT25

Why you bought the set you did:
Pleased with our previous Panny television although expected it to last longer than 10 years. Always liked the picture from Panasonic's plasma. Wanted THX mode, DLNA access with included adapter. 3D not a biggie now but maybe later on. Would have liked a VT model, but couldn't justify the cost with my eyes. Couldn't wait another 3-4 weeks for the 2012s to arrive with no television. Television was on clearance and it was a September 2011 build.

Likes and Dislikes:
Love the picture, especially Blu Ray in 1080p. DLNA access to my PC videos is fantastic. Would prefer the single glass look of the VT. Sound out of built in speakers is terrible but I guess that's what my dedicated audio system is for.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
560 Posts
Replacement for 6 year old Samsung LCD LN-S4051D. Couple of years ago had the power supply repaired and just had a tech over to replace the caps but still flickering so time for something new.

What HDTV you bought
-LG 42LM6200
When you bought it
-last week
What other HDTV's you considered
-other LG and Samsung LEDs
Why you bought the set you did
-biggest reason was looking for the largest screen to fit in the opening over the fireplace and LG's on the short list. TV was bought for the family-room/kitchen area so not used for critical viewing so didn't want to spent a lot, but figured since getting a new set, should be passive 3D and have SMART features so picked the 6200 series.
Likes and Dislikes
-no complaints with the picture
-sound is so-so (but way better than Samsung it replacing) still ended up getting a soundbar to go with it
-have to get familiar not having numbers on the remote for channel selection
-stand extends quite far in front of set

·
Registered
957 Posts
What HDTV you bought
Panasonic 55VT50

When you bought it
two weeks ago

65 VT50, but couldn't afford the price

was replacing a VT30 as I was highly disapointed with the picture that it was producing. fluctuating black levels was a big issue, even after the software update to correct the problem.

Likes and Dislikes
none so far. no fluctuating black levels, deeper blacks than the VT30, amazing pq. really a great tv to rival the Kuro.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a 34" Toshiba CRT HD Widescreen,a Panasonic 42"Plasma,a 40" Sony
LCD and a 46" Samsung LED. bought the CRT first then the plasma that I used in my basement "man cave". I upgraded to the 46" Samsung this year and the Sony 40" is upstairs in the living room. The CRT and Plasma are not being used but no-one wants to buy a CRT (it weighs a ton) and I want to keep the Plasma
as back-up. The Plasma was great for colour but very prone to image retention
the LED isn't. and is equal or even a bit better in the colour/picture dept.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What HDTV you bought:
Samsung LN40D630

When you bought it:
5 months ago

Sony and LG 40-42 inch LCDs

- Upgrading from a 26 inch Toshiba LCD (which works fine and is now in the bedroom), but did not have an unlimited budget!
- It had a good number of both HD and component inputs (often hard to find multiple component inputs in newer sets)
- Decided against the Sony in the end because my research seemed to indicate that their quality had gone downhill lately. The LG lost out because the picture on the Samsung was simply better, and they seemed to have more consistently better reviews (research again!)
- The Bay actually price-matched the FS/BB on-sale price (nearly $200 less than The Bay's own 'sale' price).....AND when I brought my own dolly, helped me get it downstairs to street level (I live very near the Bay store) - so I didn't have to pay for delivery either!

Dislikes:
- Absolutely none with the actual TV. However, the remote is not as 'tactile' or user-friendly as I would like. (Although that's not an issue for me either, as I usually use the Fibe remote anyway.)

- The absolutely brilliant, wonderful, incredible picture! I first got HD (through Fibe) when I had the Toshiba and thought that was pretty damn amazing, but this blows it out of the water. I watch some of the most boring nature etc programs now (or even golf lol)...just to revel in how gorgeous the picture is! Even now, months after buying it, I still just sit and admire it at times.

- Initial set-up was a breeze. I am basically clueless technologically, although very very good at following instructions. Once I connected the HD receiver/PVR and Blu-Ray player, this set literally was 'plug and play', no issues at all.

- The extremely comprehensive picture set up options. I don't understand a lot of it, but by trial and error (and research!) have gotten it to the point where I've had friends ask if I had it profressionally calibrated.

- The sound can come off as a bit tinny at first, but can be adjusted and is easily offset by the great directional sound - if a fire is crackling in the background on a programme, somehow it really does sound like it's behind you! (I live in a smallish apartment, an audio setup wouldn't be worth it to me as I'd never be able to 'crank' it, so it's nice to have a bit of that feel.)

- The swivel base is a godsend, don't know why more TVs don't have it.

I could not be happier with my purchase. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
What HDTV you bought
Samsung PN51E6500

When you bought it
two weeks ago

Panasonic ST, GT, VT

The original Sony KDL46Z4100 is relegated to the bedroom (still working well) and the Samsung plasma is the new living room TV, originally bought the Sony because of daylight issues in the old house, too much daylight coming in from windows opposite the screen. In our new house this is not an issue, it is a perfect room for Plasma. The blacks are better the picture is much more lifelike and I’m really enjoying the picture quality! It has been professionally THX calibrated and it is a stunning picture for the price! It was what I could afford at the time.

Likes and Dislikes
The sound from the speakers is not the best, I may invest in a sound bar as I do not want to run the surround sound system all of the time?
The picture and colour are EXCELLENT for the price!

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought Samsung for the Last Time

In early August I bought a Samsung UN ES7500 LED 3D Smart TV.

Reason I bought this TV was because it had a great picture and very nice design, and the dealer was offering a free 32" with purchase as well. However, less than 2 months after purchase it began restarting itself, has a burnt out pixel, and the motion seems a little jerky for a 240HZ high CMR TV. The restarting issue seems to be a very common problem with Samsung TV's that I wish I had researched before I bought.

Subsequent customer service from Samsung has been TERRIBLE. Over a month later and my tv still has not been repaired or replace.

Buyer beware with Samsung.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What HDTV you bought - Panasonic TCP65ST50

When you bought it - Today - Nov 17 2012

What other HDTV's you considered - the 60 inch ST50

Why you bought the set you did - nothing but accolades in all the online reviews and discussions, and was able to negotiate a good deal on it.

Likes and Dislikes - Will let you know next week once I have it in hand :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
What HDTV you bought - 70" Sharp, LC-70LC6400U - Note: This is pretty much identical to the LC-70LE640U, but includes the "Aquomotion" feature which, as far as I can tell, is a way to emulate 240 Hz performance on a 120 Hz screen through software trickery and magick.

When you bought it - Early December, 2012

What other HDTV's you considered - Went to cnet, filtered their list of TV reviews by size and type, then sorted in order of "editor's rating" as I find their testing to be pretty rigorous. Took the top 20 from the list and eliminated everything out of my price range or not available locally.

Why you bought the set you did - Based on above, it was pretty much the best rated unit in the 70" - 80" range that fit my budget. I'm sure that the Sharp Elite 70" would be wonderful but it was 3 times the cost of this set! Since I have no interest/need for 3D support (just don't like it or the dang glasses you have to wear) it kept cost down in my search.

Likes and Dislikes - Generally happy with the TV. I do find that the LED/LCD TVs can have a bit of a "cartoonish" look to the picture, maybe due to sharpness? I've tried to adjust to minimize this, seems a bit better now, but I do seem to be getting used to it, as I'm finding movies looking a lot less artificial now.

I calibrated the display settings using the Speers & Munsil BD-DVD loaded into my Oppo BDP-93 player, and I couldn't get it looking exactly like the SM instructions recommend, especially in the contrast settings. Cnet did mention that, for this unit, the range of blacks was a slight weakness in an otherwise very good TV screen. My experience so far on movie playback is that in everything except maybe the darkest of night scenes, I can see sufficient detail in the black levels to experience the movie just fine.

The TV does have some "smart" features which I've played with, but to be honest, I use the Oppo to do most of that anyway. I have noticed that the Sharp DLNA client doesn't seem to recognize MKV files as it just doesn't list them when I'm scrolling through files resident on my NAS. Doesn't bother me as the Oppo does this, but others might have issue with this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
which HDTV I bought

Samsung 64" Plasma (don't know model no? Starts with 64, ends with 5500). When Bought: Dec10th 2012. Which other ones I considered: LG, Sony, Other Samsung TV's, Panasonic.

Why I bought the TV I did: It was on special, about $500 off list (around $1,775), plus my old "dinosaur" tv died on me, and I had to
limp along with a little 12" TV for a few months. After that, any bigger set is a treat. This one, well, it's great. At least, I think so. And, unlike the Panasonic, 2 pairs of 3d glasses were included. Had I bought the Panasonic, 3d glasses were around $75-$90 each.

Likes and Dislikes: The picture is fantastic. Blacks are nice and deep
Colors are good, too, if slightly overpushed. In set sound is okay (nothing to write home about, but it'll do).Haven't tried 3d or the Smart features yet (that requires a wireless router, which I have yet to buy). There is no bass and treble on the set. There are 3 HDMI inputs, plus one composite and one component input. There is no VGA input (not a deal breaker, though) The only things I think could be improved on this set are the stand and the lack of bass and treble. Of course, chances are very good that you'll be using this set with a reciever or soundbar, so it's a minor point. The stand, however, seems a bit flimsy to me. 4 screws connect 1 mounting bracket to the base, and 4 screws connect the base and the bracket to the tv. Just 4 screws, that's it. You will definitely need, as with most sets this size, 2 people to lift and carry.

I think for the money, I did pretty well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello,
I bought a Panasonic TC-P60U50 which is a 60" plasma TV during Boxing week so I've only had it for a short time. We had previously went into a store looking to buy a low end 55" Samsung 6000 series LED TV but got educated on TVs and left the store empty handed to cross check what the salesman said.
We ended up heading back to the store to get a Panasonic plasma as the tv was going to go into the basement. It turns out that Plasma TVs are best suited for this environment and have very good high-speed video playback which is a priority for me. It also helps that their power consumption is much less than before and very comparable to LEDs.
3D was not selected because I always feel ripped off when I go to 3D movies. A smart TV was not desired since this TV was to be married to an HTPC. The plasma market is pretty small and Panasonic always makes great gear so they were my only real choice.
I am really happy I went with a plasma as the video quality is excellent with any video source. I like the fit and finish of the TV including the quality of the base. Quite a few of the TVs have cheap looking feet but at 80 pounds Panasonic had to provide a quality base which is an additional 10 pounds! I also like the Zooms provided. They seem to fit the expected resolutions of TV channels unlike my Panasonic which always cropped off a bunch of the screen when zooming to get rid of the black bars.
I do not like that this TV does not let you use the component audio with all of the inputs since I do not have a Centre channel speaker. The menu system is also pretty slow but that's not too important. Also, the blank black screen on this TV is pretty bright with the lights off but this is probably a setting I haven't dug into completely.
If you have truck and go to the US regularly I highly recommend getting it from Walmart as they go for about 900 bucks or elsewhere for as little as 800 bucks. Panasonic seems to be anti-Canadian when compared to other manufacturers pricing policies.
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
What HDTV you bought:
Sony KDL-55W900A 55" LED

When you bought it:
2 Weeks ago

Plasma, The Sony 4k (mucho $)

It was on sale, amazing picture.

Likes and Dislikes:

Excellent image. Colours are phenomenal with Triluminous Display.
Game mode (once tweaked for image) is excellent.
USB ports play any video I've thrown at it from external HDD (except Flash, but who cares).

Dislikes:
Apps... they suck. Most are subscription based. YouTube is free but
it's as sluggish as any other device I've used to watch youtube on a television. No major advancements there.
Internet browser is also sluggish and weird to work with using remote, renders it useless actually. Maybe a wireless keyboard would work but I may as well use an ipad if I'm going to go that route.

All things considered it's a television with an incredible image and loads of settings to tweak. Colour is FABULOUS - I'd go as far as to say at par with plasma.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just bought a Samsung 55" (UN55FH6030) LED on Sat . I moved my Samsung 46" upstairs for the wife . I bought it for the size, price and picture quality. I considered an LG 55" and a Toshiba 58". I don't dislike anything about it at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bought a Samsung UN55F8000 LED a couple of weeks ago... could not watch my favourite team win a Super Bowl on my old rear projection LCD...

Future Shop gave me a great deal on it and I couldn't resist... what a TV it is.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What HDTV you bought
Panasonic 60VT60

When you bought it
2 months ago

none

replacing a GT30 destroyed by a moving company…

Likes and Dislikes
none so far. AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Sharp 80" LCD - bought 13 months ago. Why? I wanted to go bigger than my existing 60" Sony. There aren't many companies that have 80" TVs for sale - Sharp seems to be the leader in the >= 70" size category.I have been happy with the TV although I have had to play wiht the audio delay on my AVR to get everything in sync.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Panasonic TC-P55VT50 in 2012 and TC-P60VT60 yesterday.

I bought the 55VT50 because it has the best picture.

I picked up the 60VT60 to replace a 10 year old LG plasma the is hard to see with my bright living room and because Best Buy had a flash sale for $700 off ($2499.00 sale price) and the last reason is because Panasonic is selling out to the LED craze and not making this awesome line of TV as of March. :mad::(

181 - 200 of 220 Posts