94 Posts
What HDTV you bought:
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

When you bought it:
4 months ago

What other HDTV's you considered:
Panasonic TC-P65VT60

Why you bought the set you did:
Moved into a new house and sold my old gear to the buyers of my previous house, so I needed a new television set for the family room. Read reviews and saw the performance of the 2013 Panasonic plasma line for myself and was again convinced that I should make an investment into a Panasonic plasma. I ended up with the flagship model as the price I was offered was not too much higher than the equivalent model in the VT series.

-Stunning overall PQ, especially after THX calibration

Dislikes:
-I don't like the sound from the built in speakers, but in my personal application, they are never used
-It's a pricy set

·
Registered
8 Posts
bought Samsung F8500 plasma 64"

Bought Samsung Plasma after a F8000 LED caught my wife's eye at a Best Buy
Ended up getting the Plasma after shopping around and seeing how good the flagship plasma is. Considered the Panasonics but the brighter picture of the Samsung sold me on it. Plasmas are at the end of their production life so I had to get another one before they are all gone.

Very happy with this TV, easy to set-up and Smart Aps are fast and convenient, using a sound bar with a sub
Great Picture with deep blacks and amazing contrast

This TV is very close to my old fateful PIONEER ELITE PRO-111FD Plasma which has been a dream. Never any issues at all

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought the LG 65UB9800 4K 3D Smart TV. Why? Put simply, I wanted 3 specific things with this tv purchase:

1. At least a 65" or larger display (a significant enough jump in screen size from my 50" Panny plasma)

2. 4K resolution so I could be as future proofed as possible

3. and passive 3D only! I realize that decision narrowed my options, but its what I prefer. Didn't want to put up with flicker, crosstalk, and batteries.

Upon establishing a realistic budget, and doing a lot of research, it basically came down to the LG or the Sony 65X830B. Ultimately, I got a better deal on the LG price wise, and a longer warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sony KDL-50W790b

Why? It was available through Airmiles

Rating: 5 stars :D

Review:

- 4 HDMI inputs
- Digital audio passthrough!
- Excellent picture quality
- Stand converts into a wall mount
- Ethernet jack as well as Wifi

I absolutely love this Sony TV. This is just a well thought out design. A huge bonus is I can send Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS through HDMI and the same signal comes out the optical audio cable to my AVR. In my experince passthrough audio is nearly unheard of in a TV (at least the ones at the lower end of the price scale - which is what I tend to buy).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Samsung UN55HU7250 curved 4KTV.
purchased Dec 31st 2014. this tv is excellent. with the Upscaling, everything looks fantastic. no regrets at all.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Just bought a Haier 65E3550 65" and I'm loving it. Especially since it was $799 at Costco and their 2 year warranty and then the extended for 3 more at $20/year. And if I really don't like it I have 90 days to return.
Picture seems great to me. Not much of a sports person so all I can say I am impressed watching the news, movies, etc.
3 HDMI inputs(I will use one)
USB inputs (maybe I'll use one some day)
Not a smart TV no wireless but with a PS3 for Netflix and Cromecast, etc. I think I am fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - new member here and glad to join. I first took interest in Audio/Video back in 2007. I'm more of a Video buff than audio, but appreciate both. So, in 2007 I purchased a Toshiba TV..cant even recall the name of it,but it was dreadful to watch and even worse for gaming. Fast forward one year and I made a huge leap forward (in terms of cost and technology) to a Sony 46" XBR KDL46XBR8 - an outstanding piece of TV technology. It's served me well until last week when I realized it was time for a new set. I moved into a new home and the 46" looked like a small photo on the wall - and I could tell the panel was starting to fade, so...

- What HDTV you bought: I purchased a Sony XBR-X850D 75"

- When you bought it: 4 Days ago

- What other HDTV's you considered: Considered the 8500 Series Samsung

- Why you bought the set you did: Sony has never let me down. I was soo impressed with the XBR-8 and Sonys customer service; that I felt it was best to stay a Sony customer and enjoy some of thier newer technology.

- Likes and Dislikes: I really like the Andriod OS, Wide viewing angle and vibrant colors, but I've been spoiled by the XBR 8 and blacks aren't as nice as I would like, but looking into a calibration to better the overall quality.

So far I'm happy. I really like having access to Google Play Store and all the integration that follows having an Andriod OS. This set allowed me to considerably consolidate the amount of devices I needed to play media. Now all I need is an Internet Connection a USB port, or KODI!

Cheers!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Tcl 50S425CA

Just installed this TCL 50S425CA 4K TV

Pros:

Inexpensive. $349 at Costco.ca
Picture quality is good
Roku streaming app

Cons:
Remote is very poor. No way to choose a specific OTA channel without going through several menu items.
Tuner is somewhat deaf. Scanning for OTA channels was not as productive as the 12 year old Samsung. 23 channels found on the TCL compared with 46 on the Samsung.

Overall, I'd give this TV a 7 out of 10. The only major downfall is the remote.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just installed this TCL 50S425CA 4K TV

Tuner is somewhat deaf. Scanning for OTA channels was not as productive as the 12 year old Samsung. 23 channels found on the TCL compared with 46 on the Samsung.
After 24 hours of usage, I just want to reiterate that the tuner is deaf. I've discovered this TV is less forgiving of signal degradation than the Samsung predecessor.

So this gives me leverage to put up the 48 foot tower and buy an AD DB8e and Clearstream 5. :grin

·
Registered
645 Posts
TCL 50S425CA sync issue?

Don't know if this is a TV issue, but we have noticed lately that video and audio doesn't sync at times.

While watching CTV London tonight, we noticed that the audio from speech did not match the video. This was most evident on the evening news. Could this be a broadcast issue?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
If only out of sync on one station, I would say an issue with the broadcast,
or at least the material being broadcast on that station at that time.

If out of sync on more than one channel, then I would say an issue with the TV on your end.
Next step would be to compare to other sets in your house at the same time.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Don't know if this is a TV issue, but we have noticed lately that video and audio doesn't sync at times.

While watching CTV London tonight, we noticed that the audio from speech did not match the video. This was most evident on the evening news. Could this be a broadcast issue?
Are you connecting to an audio receiver? Regardless, there are many complaints about lip sync issues from Roku TVs (particularly on TCL models) on the Roku forum site - you might want to chime in there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are you connecting to an audio receiver?
No, we only have OTA reception. Haven't streamed anything yet with this model.

It seems the sync issue is across all channels/networks so it is likely a hardware issue. It's so pronounced at times, that the TV in the kitchen is slightly ahead of the Roku in the other room and we get quite the echo.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Roku forum.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Tell you in one post which HDTV I bought? well i don't know the exact model but I bought a 55 inch LG DUMB HDTV about 10 years ago before I got married. I actually got it for the boxing day price a few days before boxing day. I know this for a fact. Anyways it has 3 HDMI ports on it, component and composite inputs and its one of the best TV's i've ever owned. it has no problems. i've installed it above my fireplace and it is so durable it survived my kids throwing toys at it. i paid close to $500 dollars 10 years ago, and was the best money ive spent.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
@Gentleman - still try explaining your situation over at the Roku forums - there are others there that have similar lip sync issues with OTA I do believe.

And good luck - I genuinely hope it works out for you (I've fought similar issues with some of my own setups so I know how frustrating it can be).

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
@Gentleman, most TVs have a slight audio delay to compensate for the time it takes for video processing. This is typically about 25ms but it could be more. It sounds like the audio delay has gone a little overboard. Some things to try:
1. Reset the TV to factory defaults. This should be an option in the menu for newer TVs. TVs with no "smarts" may require a magic button sequence.
2. If the TV has a lip sync feature, turn it off.
3. Try turning off some of the video processing features.
4. Contact TCL. It may be a known issue that requires a firmware update.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
@ExDilbert - it's almost always the video that lags audio correct? Regardless of whether you're using onboard speakers, a sound bar, or an AVR - right? Hence "audio delay" is an option, and never the other way around.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Video processing in TVs causes video delay so audio delay is usually the option. Most built in TV speakers are automatically synced. Not sure how the audio out from TVs is handled but it may vary with the TV. It's when audio is sent to speakers through a separate connection that audio delay in amplifiers and powered speakers becomes useful. I've seen receivers with video processing that could adjust it the other way.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts