Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The 605 is not sold by Shaw any more. You may find used ones online so if you want a new one you will be getting a 600. The 605 has a front panel display and a couple more output types. The 630 (PVR) only needs two inputs because it has two tuners. The 600 and 605 only need one input as they have a single tuner in them. The 600 and 605 can receive all the same channels that the 630 (PVR) can, they just can't record anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys...Thank you for the info. Need to update my 505 upstairs as it drives me nuts due to different menu, not knowing which channels I am subscribed to etc.

I believe there is a deal on them currently.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
BB (and others) have been known to put very low prices on some out of stock items. I encountered this a few months back on another STB or some other item. If you try to take this to another store to Price Match, they will not and BB will not take any orders, even in store. Of course it could also be a misprint.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think what might be going on is that it is one of those deals where there are limited numbers of the product, and first come, first serve. If you miss out your out of luck. I would not be surprise if the $7.97 price point is a mistake, but even if it is Best Buy has to honour the posted price. Some small electronics stores are Shaw Direct dealers, but the price would not be so low. Angel Electronics (Mississauga and Burlington) sell the 600s for $199.99 and the 630s for $399.99.
I managed to get a 630 last year for $150. This was from Shaw Direct. I saw a promo in the paper (I was already a customer) and they made me a the aforementioned deal. They even gave me a free install.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Was the option to make the 605 record as a single tuner PVR or even just to rewind or pause live TV never launched? I thought this was to be an option down the road with the 605.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My understanding (which was told to me by a rep back in 2011 when I got 2 605s) was that, when the 605 was adopted by Shaw Direct, the intention was to provide a future software update that would allow the 605 to act as a single tuner PVR using an external hard drive. To me, this theory makes sense because why else would the 605 have an eSata port?

However, when the 605 sales were discontinued by Shaw Direct (presumably because the 605's target market could be satisfied by either the 600 or the 630 - that is, sales of the 605 was either cannibalizing 600 or 630 sales and did not increasing overall sat box sales), I assumed those plans were dropped. That is, why devote limited software development resources to a discontinued product. Accordingly, as I understand it, this feature forever remains unavailable to 605 owners.

Again, this makes sense to me because the 630 can now act as a single tuner PVR, thereby satisfying that market need (when you factor in the cost of hard dive and enclosure, the 630 may even be more cost effective than a 605). Granted that does not help those of us (like myself) who already own a 605.

Query how difficult it would be to make the 630's single tuner PVR code to work on a 605. I suspect that it would require some coding effort but not substantial effort which makes this all the more frustrating for 605 owners.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thank for the update. I sort of suspected that but thought that I may have missed that it was now do-able with the 605. It is gEtting so that it would be nice to have all boxes be PVR's just to rewind to catch missed things or to pause live tv. As you say, it may be more cost effective to use full PVR's now anyway.

So part two of my question then is what is the USB connector on the front of 605's and 630's for? Does the 600 have this? I was envisioning plugging in a USB memory stick to make the 605 a PVR!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
You can back up some settings to an USB drive, and copy to another receiver.

You can apply some firmware/settings.

You can use it as a USB charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All.

Long time lurker here and decided to sign up to see if I can get some help with my DSR605.

My setup is 1 DSR600 & 1 DSR605 both running off 1 Dual Quad LNB and their own cables. The 600 works flawlessly.

I bought the 605 used about a year ago and up until about 2 months ago it worked great. It suddenly shut itself off one day and then started into a endless reboot loop. It now will stay up anywhere from 15 seconds to a couple of hours then shut down completely. I usually have to leave it set for about 24 hrs before it'll power up again. Never know how long it'll stay up as it's quite random.

I also performed numerous factory resets with and without SD CSR's.

I took it to my neighbor's who has a 600 w/dual quad lnb. Fired it up and when I went to change channel it shut itself down. I didn't wait to see if it was going to start the reboot loop as I was getting kind of PO'ed and didn't want to further risk possibly damaging his LNB.

I've tried it in place of my own 600 (with 600's power supply) with no change in it's behavior.

Oddly enough, if I leave it powered on WITHOUT the LNB lead in cable screwed in, it'll stay powered up for days. I actually never seen it shut itself down in that situation.

Shaw has said they'd replace it under warranty with a 600 but another 600 doesn't meet my needs.

So now I'm wondering if I should call it a day and get the replacement 600 or continue trying to figure this out.

If anyone has any ideas/questions, please fire away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I concur with frenchophile. Your 605 is most likely on its way to electronic heaven.

With respect to the replacement that Shaw Direct is offering, I would try to get to get a 630. I would tell them that a 605 is more machine than a 600, so downgrading is not a fair replacement, especially since the replacement will likely be a refurbished machine, not a new machine. Emphasize that the 600 will not meet your needs.

I suspect if you play hardware (i.e., be firm but do not be a ****), they will likely agree to a 630. However, they may insist that you pay some amount since the 630 theoretically is an upgrade from a 605.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

When the CSR said that the unit would have to be replaced, I ask him if they'd apply the price of a 600 to a 630 and he said no. I didn't force the issue at the time as I wasn't 100% sure that the 605 was toast.

I'll ask again when I call them. Nothing to lose I guess.

Maybe if I send them the 7 boxes I have laying around that I've decommissioned over the past 20 years they'd reconsider. LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
You might want to indicate to the CSR that you require a unit with component outputs, ( say for a legacy TV?), which is why you decided on the 605 in the first place. The only current offering with component now is the 630.

Being a long time customer etc, you could consider chatting with the Loyalty department if you don't achieve success initially.

·
Registered
103 Posts
loss of channels

My inlaw called me to tell me that some channels are getting the message signal lost.

He has a 605 and its been working fine until now.
for example channels 505 and 506 work fine but 507 and 508 do not.

Is this a mislaligned dish problem, perhaps the LNB went bad or might be something else??

Anyone had this kind of problem before?

301 - 320 of 345 Posts