Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
961 - 980 of 1298 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
I love to see what the NFL's lawyer's would do for violating the
"This telecast is copyrighted by the NFL for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent is prohibited."
:)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Speaking of lawyers, I was really expecting the CRIA, SOCAN, and other Canadian music copyright holders to have served papers on MIX FM by now, as others have previously mentioned.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Shhhh... Jay's reading! :eek: Next thing you know he'll buy an ATSC modulator PCI card and an exciter for MIX TV! :D
Just think... He could have been on DAB with all those unused ensemble allocations and no one would have noticed... Regardless of the power.... :)

Ummm... I would have noticed it when I was in Ottawa at Christmas... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Speaking of lawyers, I was really expecting the CRIA, SOCAN, and other Canadian music copyright holders to have served papers on MIX FM by now, as others have previously mentioned.
They could be waiting to see the next steps of IC.

If all equipment is seized, then they might not pursue based on the cost of the lawyers would be beyond 2.5 months of rights infringement considering Canada's Copyright law as it currently stands.

If ONLY the equipment pertaining to the FM broadcasting side is seized, leaving the internet streaming intact, then yes, I'd think both past and future royalty payments would eventually offset the cost of any legal action.

My 2c worth... :)

Cameron

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
I asked some questions of IC this week and here are their replies.

Digital Home: Is Industry Canada currently working to shut down this illegal station?
IC: We are continuing to assess all options available to ensure compliance with the associated regulations.

Digital Home: Is Industry Canada aware that experts say that individuals working in the establishment under the radio transmission tower could be exposed to harmful RF radiation?
IC: Industry Canada is currently unable to confirm if the station is in compliance with Heath Canada's Safety Code 6 (2009) guidelines. Industry Canada continues to investigate this matter in an effort to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, standards and guidelines.

Digital Home: Are the RCMP or local Ottawa police investigating in conjunction with Ottawa Canada?
IC: We cannot comment further on this ongoing investigation.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I wonder...

With the heat of summer, will the transmitter suffer "thermal runaway"...

When that happens.... EVERYBODY throughout the nearby radio spectrum knows about it........

Cameron

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
so to add to my previous post

Digital Home: Is Industry Canada currently working to shut down this illegal station?
IC: We are continuing to assess all options available to ensure compliance with the associated regulations.

What it Means - We aren't doing squat.

Digital Home: Is Industry Canada aware that experts say that individuals working in the establishment under the radio transmission tower could be exposed to harmful RF radiation?
IC: Industry Canada is currently unable to confirm if the station is in compliance with Heath Canada's Safety Code 6 (2009) guidelines. Industry Canada continues to investigate this matter in an effort to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, standards and guidelines.

Digital Home: Are the RCMP or local Ottawa police investigating in conjunction with Ottawa Canada?
IC: We cannot comment further on this ongoing investigation.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hee hee, wouldn't it be funny if DND and NavCan had to get involved over something like that? :D
Thing is, I've seen it on a spectrum analyzer, and it ain't pretty.

It can be as bad as "difficult to ascertain the original carrier from the spurs"...

Cameron

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Shhhh... Jay's reading! :eek: Next thing you know he'll buy an ATSC modulator PCI card and an exciter for MIX TV! :D
If he spent $80,000 on the FM station then what's to stop the kid from buying a 10,000 watt TV transmitter? Here's one for $75,500... can you imagine MIX-TV !!!! I'm sure he's been thinking about it..

fmamplifiers.com/10kw_tv.htm

10KW TV Transmitter

price : $75500 USD

Description:
professional VHF/UHF TV transmitter for TV stations, hot-plug, double exciters changeover control, switching power source.

TV transmitter
RF power: 10KW

Frequency: VHF/UHF
System: PAL/SECAM/NTSC
Compatible: Digital/analog
Structure: Hot plug
High reliability
Low cost

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Okay if Jay is reading that, just remember that you need to run SECAM, okay? Make sure it is set to SECAM.

Happy to be of help. :)

961 - 980 of 1298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.