Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@dsspredator: More people than you might think. If you're on sat. or cable you can still watch most channels in SD if you want to. The old TVs can still be hooked up through legacy connectors to most modern TV boxes. I've even heard of people who have new HD sets who still watch the SD channel instead of the HD equivalent. They just don't see the need to change their long standing habits or memorize a new set of channel numbers.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
...It is illegal in the states to have another satellite service...
Clarification. Due to broadcaster rights, the Canadian Satellite service providers (Bell/SD) are not allowed to "broadcast" into the US, hence the recent satellite changes that do not allow certain signals to go far into the US, however, US citizens are allowed to receive satellite signals without being criminals, unlike Canadians.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If the Canadian government didn't have content rules I think the US satellite services would certainly be offering their services here. Just like we have HBO Canada we would have DISH Canada.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Clarification. Due to broadcaster rights, the Canadian Satellite service providers (Bell/SD) are not allowed to "broadcast" into the US, hence the recent satellite changes that do not allow certain signals to go far into the US, however, US citizens are allowed to receive satellite signals without being criminals, unlike Canadians.
True, but I haven’t heard that any Dish customer in Canada have been charged and we still have many of them as some of them have disclosed it on this forum.
I remember when and why this law was passed. At the time dealers for Dish and Direct Tv pirate and legit subscription were all over the place and every second house had American dish installed. Government had to do something to protect Canadian providers.
I am pretty sure if it was the other way around US government would have acted more swiftly severely as we can see now how they treat Canadian business and trade.
Anyways, if Bell or Shaw have invested in more advanced hardware like American counterparts, I would gladly switch to satellite service but like someone said before we probably do not have enough population to support the investment.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I find this discussion very interesting, even though I am not a Bell Satellite customer. As a Shaw Direct patron, I hope that Bell Satellite continues. It is in the best interest of all satellite DTH customers that the competition continues.

As for those of you in urban areas, I don't blame you for switching to other methods for receiving your video entertainment, but for those of us in rural areas, we continue to rely on satellites to bring us the majority of our TV signals, and we like the fact that there is provider competition.

We are thankful for the urban people who choose satellite because it helps to keep our prices lower, but we also realize that people in cities have much more choice. Let's keep the competition alive and argue against monopolies.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
If the Canadian government didn't have content rules I think the US satellite services would certainly be offering their services here.
Programming content rules are not the reason. BDUs, broadcasters and telecom services must be majority owned by Canadians. There have been joint ventures but foreign ownership and control must be under 50%. Canadian cable companies and telecoms have traditionally been founded and owned by Canadians.

It's one of the few areas where Canadian companies have not been bought out or driven out of business by multinational corporations and it's solely due to Canadian government regulation of the industry. Canada once had a review board to prevent unfavorable foreign buyouts of Canadian companies. That was dismantled in the 1980s. Canada has been losing technology and jobs due to the sale of Canadian companies ever since. Once Canadian companies are sold to multinational corporations, it's not long before jobs and technology are moved to the corporations home country or low wage regions like China. The technology and jobs lost are often created with government grants that were meant to increase Canadian competitiveness in targeted technology sectors and create long term Canadian jobs. The money for the grants comes out of taxpayers pockets. The money from the sale of the companies goes into the pockets of the people who received the grants to create the company. Should they be paying the grant money back when the company is sold?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts