Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I agree. Most Canadian broadcasters would like to abandon OTA transmissions almost entirely and just maintain flagship stations in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. The only reason they haven't is that they would lose simsub rights on TV services. CRTC regulations will also need to change before ATSC 3.0 is even considered. Current limitations on sub-channels make it uneconomical to multicast ATSC signals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to see ATSC3.0 in Canada but I think a lot of people miss the biggest problem:
Where's the native 4K content?

Upscaling 1080p content to 4K won't showcase the use of ATSC3.0 properly. You'll get people asking why they should pay for newer devices if the quality looks so bad.
Streaming sites have lots of content because they produce or have the dollars to license it. I doubt CBC (just an example) would have the money available to license non-original content in 4K, to broadcast for free in 4K over the air. Probably at better bitratres than streaming sites too.

CityTV has Bad Blood I'm sure in 4K, it's streaming on NetFlix in 4K.
Global would probably have the budget for licensing, or something in their broadcast archive that was 4K produced.

Broadcasting 1080p on ATSC 2.0/3.0 is one avenue to go down but look at how we're still stuck using MPEG2 as a video codec, when tons of EU and USA stations use H264, a far more efficient and quality video codec.

I'll sit in the corner with my antenna and ATSC 1.0 but I'm doubtful this will happen now, or maybe ever for Canada.
I agree that 5G and IPTV seems the future for television. CRTC needs to make a move and change some policies though (Echoing past commenters)

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I want to see ATSC3.0 in Canada but I think a lot of people miss the biggest problem:
Where's the native 4K content?
Sports. Rogers has shown Blue Jays homes games in 4K for the last four seasons (starting in the 2017 season). A number of Raptors and Leafs games each season are also shown in 4K, but few of those are on OTA - I guess Saturday Night on the CBC is one exception.

You will also have to assume that all US network shows will shift to 4K in the near future as the US networks start to move to ATSC 3.0 and perhaps 4K over cable, satellite and IPTV. I believe shows on some streaming services, like Netflix, are pretty much all in 4K.

Buffalo is supposed to have some ATSC 3.0 stations before too long. Once that happens I may get a HDHomeRun 4K tuner to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
That is cool, I assume it is this channel on RF 31?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I seem to recall somewhere that Buffalo is high on the list (all along the border near the most populous parts of Canada, actually) to test it as well...so few ATSC3.0 tuners in the end users hands though...maybe that’s why you can get a 60” 4k smart TV for a kilobuck give or take: blowout pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think Buffalo is supposed to fire up ATSC3 using the WNYO signal soon.
Not seeing any info out there about 49.1 (RF16) WNYO My TV Buffalo going on ATSC 3.0 4K.
There was suppose to be ATSC 3.0 4K Converter Boxes on the market in the 2nd quarter of 2020. Covid 19 got all the headlines.
What I mean Converter Boxes less then $100.00 dollars. Still no wide spread sell of Boxes.
The problem is ATSC 3.0 4K is voluntary meaning Broadcasters will sit and wait. Where as ATSC 1.0 on June 12, 2009 was manitory.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Their might be an issue getting ATSC 3.0 boxes in Canada because no broadcaster appears to be adopting it. They may have to be ordered from the USA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im new to digitalhome.ca, always been a reader, but my first time writing here.

I found this ATSC 3.0 news very interesting. Thank you very much for letting me know. I didnt know about this before.

I have an app on phone called "DTV Antenna" on android. It gives you an estimated range of each of the network tower signals. After reading about the ATSC 3.0 yesterday, I noticed that for Buffalo, it shows that the strongest signal that reaches all the way up to Highway 7 in Richmond Hill is from Fox WUTN 29 (32), next best is CW WNLO 23 (36) which reaches under Highway 7, and WNED 17 (31) which is a little weaker signal, cuts off at around Eglinton and Lawrence Aves. Those a little north might not get the signal.

This is exciting if its true that if you can get a ATSC 3.0 tuner, you can get these 3 channels possibly in Toronto from Buffalo with a regular antenna with little effort. I dont recall in the past seeing these channels having this much of a strong range. In Toronto I usually get the regular 8-9 channels that everyone gets (CBC, CBC French, CTV, TVO, OMNI 1, OMNI 2, Global, CityTV, and the 9th channel that keeps going on off at times - Yes-TV).

It would be amazing if this ATSC 3.0 technology is rolled out very soon, pretty much making Rogers' and Bell starter packages completely obsolete, as all their starter packages are the same channels that you can get OTA, so a bunch of subscribers can cut the cord, and eventually Rogers and Bell will need to either enhance their starter packages with some specialty channels, and lower cable prices for all their packages for everyone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the party.
Canada is typically slower to adopt newer technologies, but our implementation of them is usually more elegant and to their fullest extent.
I’m sure your app is fine, but you should reference some of the resources at the rabbitears website that’s most commonly used around here for OTA TV. People use it because it’s up to date and accurate.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can't imagine that Canadian OTA providers will want spend the money to go to 3.0. The move in Canada is to do away with OTA altogether.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The local Toronto broadcasters could all save money by going to ATSC 3.0 by channels sharing, getting rid of their own transmitters and reducing their power bills which are enormous, plus the advantage of being able to reach anyone with a smartphone because 3.0 is designed to work in moving vehicles.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Im new to digitalhome.ca, always been a reader, but my first time writing here.

I found this ATSC 3.0 news very interesting. Thank you very much for letting me know. I didnt know about this before.

I have an app on phone called "DTV Antenna" on android. It gives you an estimated range of each of the network tower signals. After reading about the ATSC 3.0 yesterday, I noticed that for Buffalo, it shows that the strongest signal that reaches all the way up to Highway 7 in Richmond Hill is from Fox WUTN 29 (32), next best is CW WNLO 23 (36) which reaches under Highway 7, and WNED 17 (31) which is a little weaker signal, cuts off at around Eglinton and Lawrence Aves. Those a little north might not get the signal.

This is exciting if its true that if you can get a ATSC 3.0 tuner, you can get these 3 channels possibly in Toronto from Buffalo with a regular antenna with little effort. I dont recall in the past seeing these channels having this much of a strong range. In Toronto I usually get the regular 8-9 channels that everyone gets (CBC, CBC French, CTV, TVO, OMNI 1, OMNI 2, Global, CityTV, and the 9th channel that keeps going on off at times - Yes-TV).

It would be amazing if this ATSC 3.0 technology is rolled out very soon, pretty much making Rogers' and Bell starter packages completely obsolete, as all their starter packages are the same channels that you can get OTA, so a bunch of subscribers can cut the cord, and eventually Rogers and Bell will need to either enhance their starter packages with some specialty channels, and lower cable prices for all their packages for everyone.
I already get 40 channels consistently at my location with a way better lineup than Rogers could offer with their basic ripoff at $25.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The only way broadcasters would share facilities is if the gov't mandates it! Don't forget that CRTC policies are heavily weighed in favour of Bell etal. However, ATSC 3.0 creates an opportunity for broadcasters to charge a fee to view the programming. So kiss goodby to free OTA.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't imagine that Canadian OTA providers will want spend the money to go to 3.0. The move in Canada is to do away with OTA altogether.
Let’s get this out of the way- they’re going to have to. You’re already paying for it. Content is produced largely in 4K, that’s the now standard resolution of displays sold today (including on mobile devices, or it will be soon), streaming services offer it because of these...
Further- both home internet and mobile data plan providers are headed for speeds (with 5G) that can deliver this resolution and above- multiple streams of it, too.
So, it’s a case of data, data everywhere. But with access to this ocean of data, which is relatively inexpensive, you’ll start having to pay for every droplet of it you consume. Media convergence is complete.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts