Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Supposedly ATSC 3.0 can deal with multipath much better, so it has the potential to greatly benefit those in poor reception areas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is much more to ATSC 3.0 than just OTA . This can be implemented in anything electronic .They talked about being a backup to the 5G should a overload on bandwidth occur. Its going to come down to the manufactures implementing it into their hardware to get exception from the public to drive it . Unfortunately some like Channel Master have taken a wait an see approach .So hopefully others step in . The 5G implementation is another factor as they have speculated wifi as a possible bridge being IP based

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I think the bridge between 5G and wifi is to roll out 5G to residential neighborhoods and use it to provide wireless internet. Individual wifi would then be provided using the new AX protocol the supersedes AC. 5G would replace wiring from the street to the home. Since 5G and AX are slated to use high bandwidth, low power frequencies above 6GHz its a good match. Routers could also be used to extend or implement low power 5G inside the home. 5G is not limited to frequencies above 6GHz and AX will continue to use lower AC frequencies but the bands above 6GHz provide opportunities for new services and much higher bandwidth. By the time that happens, using ATSC broadcasting (in any form) will be close to obsolete as it could easily be replaced by 5G. The exception would be areas underserved by 5G.

ATSC3.0 provides a mechanism for consumer to broadcaster communication that can send information about consumer use of their signals back to the source. That would use the internet and wifi. It could be used to accumulate data on audience size and demographics and, possibly, also individual programming such as targeted ads. Google is probably already working on that.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's awesome Zank, did you pre-order one? $318,000 pledged of $50,000 goal, seems like there's a demand for it. I'll probably grab one myself.

·
Registered
595 Posts
No, I was more interested in that Geniatech A683 model. The SiliconDust model is feature rich with multi tuners, I have no use for multi tuners, never recorded ota, nor would I. I have 2 TV's side by side, all I'm looking for is a single ATSC 3.0 tuner to run on my main tv and the second tv will dx the ATSC 1.0 signals at the same time, it's a much less pricey way to go if that $69.99 price Geniatech shown on their website was correct.

I doubt performance will vary much between the two as they most likely will be using the same chipsets (Saankhya Labs SL3000), at least that's my guess. I could be wrong of course, $300 Can after exchange for a DX'ing toy vs $100 leaves me with an extra $200, and that will be well spent on aiming fluid.

The SiliconDust unit will be very popular for those that want to record a lot of tv or are running signals to a lot of tv's in the home where everyone wants to watch something different, not my case, 1 guy, 2 tv's.

·
Registered
741 Posts
t'll be interesting to see how many US stations/networks use the Digital Rights Management aspects of NextGenTV to block DVR recordings when things move to ATSC3.

As Canada currently shows no interest in moving to ATSC 3, you might see OTA viewers in border cities recording their favourite US shows off of Canadian stations.

https://twitter.com/OneJaredNewman/status/1258381302232944640?s=19

·
Registered
595 Posts
Geniatech are showing a new ATSC 3.0 STB on their website.

https://www.geniatech.com/product/apc810b/

Still no pricing or reply to my repeated e-mails for pricing on this or the USB dongle.

I read the other day that HDHomerun were planning a retail roll out of their new ATSC 3.0 box for September, so those that joined the kickstarter campaign will get a few months of exclusivity.

Has anyone signed up for that kickstarter?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Crap, can't edit posts.

Wanted to add that the HDHomerun kickstarter program has over 1900 backers and $570,000 Can in funding, there is a LOT of interest in this product.

I looked at pricing on new TV's with ATSC 3.0 tuners, haven't seen any under $2000. which will drive a lot of people to these STB's/dongles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That Geniatech atsc3 box looks really cool with the extra inputs/outputs. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to just plug the hdhomerun into a tv/monitor. There's <2 days to go for that hdhomerun atsc3 kickstarter, and yeah I did end up pre-ordering one, kind of excited!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Thinkin it will be next to impossible to find which specific model TVs come with an ATSC 3.0 tuner.
Rest assured at least for now they are probably reserved for a handful of models at the top of the line.
If they were more commonplace today, I'd probably buy a new one just to have it, but not gonna fork over extra $$ just to have ATSC 3.0. Can live with what I have for now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The 65GX also has HDMI eARC, which can pass lossless higher-resolution audio from the TV back to your A/V receiver or processor and includes an ATSC 3.0 tuner...

At almost $5 grand Canadian I think I'll wait on that $100 USB dongle Geniatech are pitching. Seriously, who is buying these overpriced tv's, I understand going from LED to OLED and paying a premium but from my perspective a lot of these products seem ridiculous price point wise.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Am with you there Frank... Not to mention if you look in their user manuals (if you can navigate thru their 'emanual' garbage), you won't find any mention there of ATSC 3.0, NextgenTV, etc. Basically setting it up for fail, if they aren't even going to bother marketing it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The way I see it is if HdHomerun can offer a stand alone quad tuner for $200 US then OEM tv's should be able to be similarly equipped at the same price point. This is just gouging IMHO.

My tv is 4k HDR10+ yadda yadda yadda, picture is fantastic when watching streamed 4k, I imagine it will be similar for broadcasted 4k, these atsc 3.0 dongles and stb's will be available very shortly and those extremely pricey tv's will end up being sold at a fraction of their current prices. I pity the first adopters gullible enough to think getting atsc 3.0 tuner built into their tv is worth the extra $2 to 3 thousand.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts