Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Would have tried Crave but no Roku support. Strange as Roku is still the most used streaming device
out there. No Roku...no Crave...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I managed to login, after a few trials, trying different passwords. Something is definitely wrong with their system.

Also, when I tried to subscribe, I realized that their subscription page is not secure, so I decided not to go for it yet. They'd better fix these things, if they want to attract more customers.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Crave so far is very poor in comparison. E.g. I tried to watch the Billions preview last night and at best (when it wasn't buffering) I was getting a soft 480p image.
This is what's keeping me from subscribing. I'd love to rewatch the Sopranos and the Wire, and I'd happily pay the $8 for at least a couple of months to do so, but not if the streaming is bad. I don't need it to be blu-ray quality, but at least roughly the same as a cable TV image, to my untrained eye. Bad interfaces and especially bad quality streams will keep me far away. There are just too many other options and it's not essential content for me.

We'll see if it gets better, but having used many of their websites/apps over the years, I don't have much faith it'll ever be outstanding. I don't think many of the Canadian media companies (or, to be fair, many of the old guard media companies in the US too) really get how important subtleties like interface design are to uptake of their products.

·
Registered
27 Posts
im a cable cutter with netflix, now shomi(free with my rogers cell) now trying Crave. Great content, but same issues as Shomi...no Roku App, less than stellar interface, android apps are also soso

chuck

·
Registered
455 Posts
Crave TV on a Minix Neo 8H

Just signed up for Crave TV. I have a Playstation 3, WDLive, Minix Neo 8H Android box and a Rogers 8300HD PVR. The only device compatible currently is the Minix Neo 8H. I downloaded the app from Google Play and did the install and signup. Tried Smallville Season 1 Episode 1. Picture was full 16X9 but was soft and exhibited a stutter constantly. Like it would freeze for an instant once per second. Anyone else using an android TV box and getting similar results? The Faq states the quality is based on my internet speed and display device. I have 250 down/10 up internet and the Minix is 4K enabled. So why stretched SD with a stutter?

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
CraveTV doesn't support Android TV boxes directly. Here are a couple of excerpts from their FAQ that apply:
Which devices does CraveTV support?
<snip>
Android tablets and smartphones running version 4.0+
How much bandwidth will I use while streaming video on CraveTV?
This will depend on the device you are accessing CraveTV with. If on a mobile device, then it can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour.
My guess is that your Android box is being treated like a mobile device and not getting an HD stream. Do you still get a stutter if you stream CraveTV on your PC?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just tried it on my PC at work. Windows 7 on a 1 gig/sec connection. Still 16 x 9 SD but the stutter is less noticeable. Does anyone know anyway to convince a streaming source that my android TV box isn't a smartphone? An app perhaps?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Its likely because android is considered a MOBILE OS generally.. and the app is a 'mobile' app.. can be loaded on android TV boxes.. but its still a mobile app.

(comparing to the apple TV and an iPhone.. its a different OS, different app, etc.)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Does Chromecast run Android? If so maybe I can convince Crave, my Android TV box is a Chromecast. The managed devices section properly identified my box as a Android Neo-X8-H, so it is quite possible for Crave to know I am not running Crave on a phone.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
No, it doesn't. Bell only makes the Crave Android app for mobile devices, so there's no way to fool it into believing you're not using a mobile device. It only allows for the one option.
On the latest android media player Crave tv works perfectly fine. I have MyGica with the lollipop operating system and so far I have been able to play all the apps that I use on my phone. I could not do that with my older android boxes.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
@bev fan: Works, yes. The person mentioned that it did work.. but NOT in the highest resolution.. that the mobile app limits the MAX resolution for playback?
(don't know, don't have a box to test myself)
@cyclist44: The Samsung Smart TVs have the app.. only one specifically I know right now.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
No, the person said that it did not work properly because it was freezing all the time.

The highest resolution on Crave tv is 720P no matter which device is being used, but from what I have tested Crave tv will not work on some of the android players and some of the android players will have better resolution than others.

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@bev fan are you getting SD resolution with CraveTV on your Android box and can you measure throughput? The FAQ says a mobile device "can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour."

You should be able to take a snapshot of the Android "Settings/Data Usage" for the app before and after watching for a specific amount of time.

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Anybody know of any Smart TV that has the Crave TV app? My LG TV doesn't have it.
According to the link in post 1, only Samsung TVs have an app written for them.
CraveTV is supported on all Samsung 2013 - 2015 models of Smart TVs and blu-ray players with Samsung Smart Hub. If the CraveTV app isn`t already available in your app list, you can find it in the Canadian Samsung Smart Hub.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
@bev fan are you getting SD resolution with CraveTV on your Android box and can you measure throughput? The FAQ says a mobile device "can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour."

You should be able to take a snapshot of the Android "Settings/Data Usage" for the app before and after watching for a specific amount of time.
I just played the same show on android player and Bell fibe PVR and my conclusion is that Crave tv picture quality is actually better on Bell fibe tv.

21 - 40 of 513 Posts