Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a receiver in my living room, that I would like to ditch and run my living room setup off Zone 2 on my theater room/bar downstairs,

my problem is controlling it, my receiver downstairs has a plug that says "zone 2 control IR in" or something like that, (onkyo tx-sr602)

what do I need to get so I can control volume and source from my living universal remote,

I've seen kits with external receivers and emitters for controlling in cabinet setups, but my setup is open and I don't want to mount an emitter on the front of my receiver

hope that makes sence,
Thanks,

·
Registered
833 Posts
What you want is a remote extender or RF remote that uses emitters that plugin to a base station. Since your receiver has an IR input you don't need to use an emitter but instead connect a cable from the base station to the IR input. The base station will typically have a 2.5mm or 3.5mm mono jack and your receiver most likely has a 3.5 mm jack. It's easy to find a cable to patch them together.

You've got lots of options, especially if you want to go the universal remote route. What budget did you have in mind?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you want is a remote extender or RF remote that uses emitters that plugin to a base station. Since your receiver has an IR input you don't need to use an emitter but instead connect a cable from the base station to the IR input. The base station will typically have a 2.5mm or 3.5mm mono jack and your receiver most likely has a 3.5 mm jack. It's easy to find a cable to patch them together.

You've got lots of options, especially if you want to go the universal remote route. What budget did you have in mind?
nothing over the top price wise, cheaper the better, but I want it to work well,
I would like to use my shaw remote with it, if possible,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts