Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zenith E44W46LCD & LG RU44SZ80L service menu

Seems like a good place to start a thread on this service menu. Here's what I've found so far:

Entering the service menu - press Menu on TV and remote simultaneously for 5 seconds

Main Menu

1 - LCD Driver
2 - System Options
Brand - (Options = BB, CC, LG, def=BB)
Country (Options = CAN, USA, def=CAN)
Boost (Options = 0, 1, def=255
RFII NR (Options = 0, 1, def=0) - maybe an RF noise reduction, or option to turn NR menu on/off?

Controls in the service menu:
=======================
Up/down/left/right - changes the cursor position and in some cases the value
"1" key - sets the increment to 1 - this means when you change a value it goes up or down by 1
"2" key - sets the increment to 10 - this means when you change a value it goes up or down by 10
"3" key - sets the increment to 100 - this means when you change a value it goes up or down by 100

Changing the 'brand' of TV:
========================
1-Enter service menu
2-Pick Menu #2-System Options
3-Pick Brand - Options are BB, CC, LG (Best Buy=Zenith, Circuit City, LG)
4-Press menu to clear service menu

Main menu
========

Option XXXXXrf - changes picture settings for the RF signal (ie: cable TV)

Option XXXXXav - changes pictures settings for the A/V (ie: DVD, digital receiver) inputs. Seems to affect the 'main' signal, not the 2nd or 'sub' signal.

Load default - probably supposed to return the menu settings back to original, didn't seem to work for me but maybe I am not activating it correctly.

Change bulb - didn't try it, probably resets the hour counter?

Option Menu
=========

High temp - maybe the highest temp reached so far?
Warning temp - probably the temp at which the fan kicks in to cool the bulb
Strange though the current temp reading is always higher than the high or warning temp.

I'll add more info as it is uncovered here. I wouldn't be surprised if older LG models have similar service menus. It looks very much like last year's LG menu interface.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK here's something for people to try if they are getting the vertical lines:

Service menu
1. LCD Driver --> M62352 --> VDMID

.. just changing the value of VMID by 1 or 2 might fix this for you.

Mine was default 181, changing to anything greater or less than 181, I got all kinds of vertical lines. If I set it more than a dozen or so off default I got nasty blocky cubes too.

So for those with the vertical lines and willing to fiddle in the service menu, you could try tweaking the VMID value a little to see if you can get rid of the lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 'Change Bulb' menu will tell you the number of hours on the bulb.

One question - I noticed that the option 'Boost' under the 'System options' menu has the options of 0 and 1, but it's default setting was 255. I can't get it back to 255. I don't think this is a problem since I am assuming that Boost is either off (0) or on (1). I just wonder why it was originally set to 255. Any thoguhts on this?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indy-tv said:

One question - I noticed that the option 'Boost' under the 'System options' menu has the options of 0 and 1, but it's default setting was 255. I can't get it back to 255. I don't think this is a problem since I am assuming that Boost is either off (0) or on (1). I just wonder why it was originally set to 255. Any thoguhts on this?
I noticed the exact same thing. Still haven't figured out how to:
- invoke the 'load default' option
- reverse to a previous menu

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service Menu keys - if you have a programmable remote, here are some alternate keys to invoke the special menus:

*-018 - invokes a shorter service menu, includes setting contrast of the main and sub PIP windows
*-019 - enters the service menu

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indy-tv said:

Yes, I found that the 'booster' option simply sets whether or not the "Booster" feature will appear under the setup menu.
Boost: 0 --> the booster option won't appear
Boost: 1 --> the booster option will appear

Keep in mind changing 'Boost' under 'System Options' won't set or remove RF boosting, it just provides you the option of setting it under another menu.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some interesting advanced codes:

012 - Black & White mode? (cont 0/bright 100/tint 50/color 0/sharp 50)
014 - off
015 - on
(? 013, 014, 015, 016 ?) - reset to factory defaults
018 - service menu A
019 - service menu B
054 - sleep settings
128 - toggles through various diagnostic screens

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service Menu A options
==================
RU44SZ80L

1. System option ->
2. AD9883 A-Set
3. Contrast (main PIP vs sub PIP)
4. M62352
5. Position
6. GAMMA
7. UNIFORMITY
8. RGB Alignment
9. VCOM Adjust
10. Lamp Replace

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Service Menu B options

RU44SZ80L

1. LCD Driver -->
2. System option
3. uPD64011 RF
4. uPD64011 AV
5. AD9883A Main
6. VPC 3230
7. Main Win Size (left PIP)
8. Sub Win Size (right PIP)
9. Lamp Replace
10. Load Default

Version Info:
MAIN 03.24
SUB 03.00
LCD 03.00

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the service menus you can see that the PIP windows can be sized, shaped, and positioned any which way you please.

So if the little bottom right corner PIP window is too small or you want it in the top left, such a setting is possible.

It's probably too much to wish for, but it would be great if an improved LG firmware would take advantage of this ability and let you size and move the PIP window around with as much flexibility as the Sony PIP windows for example.

An entrepid hacker might write a lengthy remote macro to do it, but I'd sooner see it as a base feature.

I'd also like to be able to turn on/off the PIP frames but haven't found that yet.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are experiencing the overly strong green image, here's two changes that might help:

Service Menu-->LCD Driver -->GAMMA --> Increase B from 180 to 240
(final settings would be R 350 G 330 B 240)

Service Menu-->AD9883A-->Lower R-gain from 129 to 119

This is by no means a perfect picture but for me it's a quick shortcut until I can get it professionally set up.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some additional advanced codes for the Zenith and LG TV's:

Here's some additional advanced codes:
003 --> discrete RGB-PC
009 --> aspect ratio
012 --> B&W mode
014 --> on
015 --> off (?)
018 --> service menu A
019 --> service menu B
034 --> discrete component
040 --> video key
053 --> off (?)
054 --> sleep timer
055 --> ant/cable
057 --> mute
059 --> TV/video key
103 --> EZ sound key
105 --> side video (?)
108 --> component 2 discrete
109 --> video 2 discrete
110 --> video
112 --> RGB-PC
113 --> side video
114 --> RGB-DTV
116 --> 4

116 --> 0
117 --> 6
118 --> 2
119 --> 5
120 --> 1
121 --> 7
122 --> 3

128 --> various diagnostic screens

133 --> PIP w/3 sub windows
135 --> PIP Channel down
137 --> PIP Channel up

164 --> select (enter) button
167 --> menu key (?)
171 --> menu (?)
174 --> select (?)
176 --> off (?)

181 --> tv/ant (?)
183 --> Volume Up
187 --> Volume Down
197 --> PIP key cycle
201 --> PIP Input cycle
231 --> Video 1
235 --> PIP off
245 --> 8
246 --> Surf
249 --> 9
253 --> RGB-TV

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neild said:
If you are experiencing the overly strong green image, here's two changes that might help:

Service Menu-->LCD Driver -->GAMMA --> Increase B from 180 to 240
(final settings would be R 350 G 330 B 240)

Service Menu-->AD9883A-->Lower R-gain from 129 to 119

This is by no means a perfect picture but for me it's a quick shortcut until I can get it professionally set up.
A little more tweaking:

GAMMA
=====
R 360 G 330 B 240

AD9883A
=======
R-gain 124 G-gain 131 B-gain 129

Still not perfect by any means but much better than out of the box...

Still waiting for my salesman to put me in touch with the LG rep and the service center. He's dilly-dallying so many times I think he's trying to stretch it out past the date the set can be returned.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must have had a finger slip or something because now the colours are crazy and I can’t get them back. I see on the setup menu that there is a 10 - restore defaults item. I was hoping that this would reset everything to a basic factory setting but nothing seems to happen when I select that option.
Would you know how to reset this set? I would like to resolve this before having to call service.
Yep I noticed the same thing. More than likely there is a save key function but without documentation I haven't been able to find it.

I think you can solve your color problem though - but you'll need a remote that can send 'advanced codes'. Any of the 'One-For-All' brand remotes will do it.

1 - Tell the remote your set is type 0056 (LG)

2 - Make sure the remote is indeed controlling your set by playing with volume, channel selection, etc.

3 - Press the star key (sometimes it is even shaped like a star)
then enter 013
You have to do this sequence reasonably quick, so it's the 4 keys "star"-"0"-"1"-"3" in quick succession.

4 - Then do the same with code 014

5 - Then do the same with code 015

6 - Then do the same with code 016

Wait a second then turn on the TV. It should be in factory new mode, it will have forgotten your channels and settings so you will be starting over from scratch.

Now keep in mind this method is overkill and some technician will be laughing because I don't think you need to do all the codes 013 thru 016. It's just that I don't remember which code(s) are required, but I do know if you do the 013, 014, 015, 016 sequence that the reset code or codes are within that series. It might be that only 1 or 2 of them are important. I sent my set back so I can't experiment, but maybe you can find the right one and let us know...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Neild said:
Yep I noticed the same thing. More than likely there is a save key function but without documentation I haven't been able to find it.

I think you can solve your color problem though - but you'll need a remote that can send 'advanced codes'. Any of the 'One-For-All' brand remotes will do it.

1 - Tell the remote your set is type 0056 (LG)

2 - Make sure the remote is indeed controlling your set by playing with volume, channel selection, etc.

3 - Press the star key (sometimes it is even shaped like a star)
then enter 013
You have to do this sequence reasonably quick, so it's the 4 keys "star"-"0"-"1"-"3" in quick succession.

4 - Then do the same with code 014

5 - Then do the same with code 015

6 - Then do the same with code 016

Wait a second then turn on the TV. It should be in factory new mode, it will have forgotten your channels and settings so you will be starting over from scratch.

Now keep in mind this method is overkill and some technician will be laughing because I don't think you need to do all the codes 013 thru 016. It's just that I don't remember which code(s) are required, but I do know if you do the 013, 014, 015, 016 sequence that the reset code or codes are within that series. It might be that only 1 or 2 of them are important. I sent my set back so I can't experiment, but maybe you can find the right one and let us know...
Thanks NeilD. I will try this out, hopefully it does the trick.
BTW - why did you get rid of this set?
Again, Many thanks for all the useful information.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
plaplante said:
BTW - why did you get rid of this set?
It was a hard decision let me tell you. I found we watch a lot of dark colored material which is a weak point for this and probably any TV that uses a bright projection lamp.

Also I was having some trouble getting higher res modes to display at their native resolution through the RGB port. Admittedly there was probably several more things I could still try but the time I had before returning it was running. I was able to get a nicely scaled 640x480, but 600 line or 768 line modes were not scaling nicely, probably due to the fact the LCD panels are 720 pixels native. If a person could send 720 line video from an HTPC into this, the image would probably be shockingly good.

Also I found I was promised about 10 times that the Zenith/LG person would contact me and they never did. All I wanted was some guidance on the service menu or the green push but nobody ever got back to me. No big deal, but it made me wonder how would responsive would Zenith/LG if I had a major problem or warranty issue.

Lastly I'm not sure I liked the fan noise. Admittedly it's one of the quietest I've encountered but I'm basically into zero noise.

I've got a hi-contrast/hi-def plasma I'm checking out now and while the PQ is certainly great, there's a lot of things I miss about the Zenith/LG LCD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As posted in another thread I returned my set as well...about 2 weeks after I bought it. My only problem was that their was too much green and to correct the problem Red tint was hiked up to about an R10-R15.

This may have gotten the green out of the picture but I was never sure about the acurracy of the colours i was seeing. The tech who came out said that there was nothing that could be done to reduce the green aside from making the r15 the default. Not actually fixing anything, but masking the problem.

I did try to live past this one flaw because I was very happy with everything else about the set. (paying 2700 taxes included didn't hurt either.)

my suggestion to anyone is take the Zenith home give it a chance, if the colour issue bothers you return it. If any of neilds' problems bother you, return it. If you dont notice any of them, you got yourself a great set at a great price.

BBB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to order the service manual from LG or Zenith? Ie the right words to use so they don't say 'sorry sir' or a backdoor link for partners or something?

-pd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Neild said:
Also I was having some trouble getting higher res modes to display at their native resolution through the RGB port. Admittedly there was probably several more things I could still try but the time I had before returning it was running. I was able to get a nicely scaled 640x480, but 600 line or 768 line modes were not scaling nicely, probably due to the fact the LCD panels are 720 pixels native. If a person could send 720 line video from an HTPC into this, the image would probably be shockingly good.
With the newer ATI/NVidia drivers, and or Powerstrip in my case, I send 1280x720 to my unit over both RGB/DVI without any problems (not simultaneously, just did one and the other for testing). Of course you have to tell the display to use DTV vs PC mode as it doesnt want to recognize anything higher than 1024x768 in PC mode.

-pd

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
pdermody said:
With the newer ATI/NVidia drivers, and or Powerstrip in my case, I send 1280x720 to my unit over both RGB/DVI without any problems (not simultaneously, just did one and the other for testing). Of course you have to tell the display to use DTV vs PC mode as it doesnt want to recognize anything higher than 1024x768 in PC mode.

-pd
In that 1280x720 mode are you getting a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping? Or is there some converting going on? In my case I was trying to use a medium-old HTPC that is VGA only. I did not have any access to DVI or a component transcoder. Eventually I guessed that the RGB input only recognizes the 'big 3' resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) and that all but the 640x480 would involve some rough-edged pixel mapping.

I was interested in trying the other inputs to see how a 720 line input would look. If it's 1:1, then Windows text should have looked superb on that thing.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts