Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know that on Videotron, the children's ads on YTV (possibly including video game ads) are replaced by normal ads because children's ads were banned in Quebec (same for other Quebec cable providers), so is this true? Since I lived in Burlington, Ontario, I need a video or explaination showing the evidence of one YTV commericial break on Videotron during children's programs.

And what about the English version of Teletoon? Did they actually have normal ads on Videotron? Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am not subscribing to YTV, so I can not speak about it. However, I have Nickelodeon. I can tell you that in Nickelodeon on Videotron, the children's ads are on full blast. Video games, toys, apparel, you name it. Therefore, I can not see any restriction as you wrote.

Is it possible that it is because Nickelodeon Canada is not based in Quebec?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Children's products ads aren't banned in QC.

It's forbidden, everywhere in Canada, to TARGET specifically children in ads. But, telling parents about a children product isn't forbidden.

So, bottom line is, companies do whatever they want since the regulator can hardly prove if the advertizement was targetting parents, or children directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts