On the official YouTube blog, Google has announced the introduction of a new feature called Safety Mode.

Safety Mode gives parents and users the option to screen out potentially objectionable content that they prefer not to see or don't want others in the family to stumble across while surfing YouTube.

An example of this type of content might be a newsworthy video that contains graphic violence such as a political protest or war coverage. Users can opt in to Safety Mode by click on the link at the bottom of any video page.

Safety mode can be turned off by clicking the same link or it can be locked with a YouTube password.

Google does caution that Safety Mode isn't fool proof but it does provides a greater degree of control over what comes up in the YouTube search.

Safety Mode FAQ's (courtesy of YouTube)

Q: If I'm opted in to Safety Mode and someone sends me a video that has been marked as mature by your system, can I see it?
A: No. By opting in to Safety Mode, you are signaling that you don't want mature content to be a part of your YouTube experience.

Q: So, if a video has ever been flagged, I won't see it?
A: No, not necessarily. If a video has been incorrectly flagged for violating our Community Guidelines, our review system will catch the error and the video will remain accessible in Safety Mode.

Q: Do I need to be logged in to my YouTube Account for Safety Mode to work?
A: No, if you have set the lock properly, the lock will remain in place on that browser regardless of whether you are logged in or not, or if another person is logged into a different YouTube account. You can use your account to authorize locking and unlocking, but the lock itself is applied to your browser, not your YouTube account.

Q: I have multiple browsers. Do I need to lock my preference for each browser?
A:Yes, Safety Mode is browser-specific.

Q: My kids and I each have separate profiles on our family computer. Do I have to log in to the same browser on each profile to lock strict filtering on each profile?
A: Yes, each profile operates independently, so you would have to lock your preference on each browser on each separate profile.

Q: If my video is filtered out, can I protest?
A: No. While your content doesn't violate our policy guidelines, it may be offensive to users. Your video will still be available to users not in Safety Mode.

Q: Does Safety Mode work on mobile devices?
A: No, Safety Mode for YouTube Mobile is not available at this time.

Q: Is Safety Mode available in all languages?
A: Yes, the ability to opt in to Safety Mode is available in all languages we currently operate in. The quality and cultural sensitivities vary at different levels. We will continue to roll out improvements in all languages.

See the YouTube Safety Mode demo for more information or discuss in Digital Home's Home Computing forum .