·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Denon 650-Watt 5.1-Channel 3D Home Theatre Receiver (DHT-391XP) $499.99
2. Denon 550-Watt 5.1-Channel 3D Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-391) $249.99

placement: basement

connection: to blu-ray player, over the air, satelitte

This will be connected to a projection screen and projector. I am looking to pull the trigger by this weekend. Am I better off with the second one and just get different speaker ( which ones ) or just do the #1 package?

Both are from BB site

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd steer away from the AVR-391.

I have a 591, which has a similar amp section to the 791 and 991 models. Apparently the 391 is a good entry level receiver, but only that. Mainly it does not have full Audyssey, HDMI on screen display, or upconvert analog video to HDMI - these options start at the 591.

Looks like the HTIB DHT-391XP uses a 391 as the base, but then bumps the wattage by 100W for the powered sub. Same caution as above.

Audioholics did a pretty good review of the 391 vs. the 591 - might be good reading for you. Of note, the analog upconvert to HDMI allows you the magic one cable solution to your projector (that is assuming that you're not using a Shaw Direct 505 or 530).

Personally, I am not fond of HTIB speakers, and would recommend you look for what sounds good to you. Lots of good used deals out there on Kijiji, especially when some guy's better half makes him get rid of his big but good sounding speakers. For example, you could pick up a full set of Mission surrounds (including towers) in my area right now for $200, including a cheap sub (replaceable later).

the 391 is a good piece, but I personally wouldn't want a receiver without the features of the 591 (OSD, one cable, any Audyssey are all good and useful features).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts