Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
581 - 587 of 587 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Shhhh! Don't tell Rogers. ;) I've got to wonder if this is a conscious decision, an oversight or just a technical issue that Rogers plans to address at a future date. Given the small difference in price between various plans, it's not costing them much if it stops people from upgrading. On the other hand, giving people faster speeds and then capping them at a lower speed in future might encourage plan upgrades at that time. Another possible explanation might be to gain a competitive advantage with TPIAs who cannot afford to provide higher than rated speeds.

·
Super Moderator
57,120 Posts
Rogers does have Speedboost which provides for higher download speeds for a few seconds to allow websites to refresh faster, etc. I know that when I do a speedtest it is much higher than I pay for. However, when I download a large file, the speed starts high but ramps down to what I pay for after say 10 seconds. I see this when I update my Garmin GPS where the file size was 7 GB on the last download. I'm on Rogers IgniteTV 150/15 and the 7GB took a bit over 5 minutes. Remember 7 GB = 56 Gb.

Last year when I was on 300/20 the download took around 2.5 minutes. When I switched to IgniteTV, I lowered the DL speed because I didn't notice any difference and it saved me over $100/year.

There are only 2 of us at home, and we never run into issues. Remember that an HD stream utilizes about 10 mbps and even 4K is about 25 mbps.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I tried a couple of more distant speed tests with servers less likely to be cached locally. The speeds did not change more than 5%. Upload speeds increased slightly. I didn't try very large files.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Shhhh! Don't tell Rogers. ;)
It's been consistently high for quite a while. When I first got Ignite TV, they provided 500/20. At that time, I was running pfSense on a HP compact desktop computer and would typically get around 540 down. After that computer died, I got a Qotom mini PC with i5 CPU and my download immeadiately jumped. These days I consistently get well over 900 Mb down. On the other hand, upload seems to always be consistent at about the same speed, currently around 31 Mb.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Rogers does have Speedboost which provides for higher download speeds for a few seconds
That's why I run speedtest at least a couple of times, to give things a chance to "warm up". This morning first try was 950 Mb and 2nd 1 Gb.

581 - 587 of 587 Posts