Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Videotron

This is what I get, using Videotron Extreme High Speed, which is stated at $64.90 per month (although we get a discount from bundling). I see that Videotron now has the Extreme Plus, but not sure how noticeable and upgrade it will be. Anyone make that change with results worth the extra $15/month?

Our service theoretically should be 10 Mbps download and 900 Kbps upload:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Cogeco, Oakville

Speakeasy Results
Download Speed: 7811 kbps (976.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 593 kbps (74.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm on a Standard package, which is $47.95/month unbundled, and $42.95/month bundled. It's advertised at "up to" 10Mbps dl and 640Kbps ul.

And there's a "soft" cap of 60GB/month combined dl/ul.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Shaw High Speed Extreme I
Saskatoon

Test taken at Speakeasy.net

Last Result:
Download Speed: 8472 kbps (1059 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 940 kbps (117.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Apparently I had "insulted" an admin a few threads back with my joke. I figured the "happy face" would have signified it was a joke, but go figure. In any case, I was out of town for a few days.

DSL versus cable is an argument for another thread I guess.

Just to add in a bit of info, my mother is in Hamilton ON using Sympatico. She pays $24.99 for the Basic DSL service. Last speed test I did for her when I was out was 1200/400, but she does have a ridiculous 2GB traffic cap.
I think I know what that insult was.. when I got ticked off at 204 and got a demirit, Hugh said he was deleting some unnessesarry posts, and you replied with a isn't that post unnessesary (in a joking matter that I could easily see and was backed up with the smiley face). I think i am rate on the money with pointing the supposed insult their. And I was the original one that caused all these demerits with my 4 point infraction for "insulting" a member.

I have caused a chain reaction ;)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well Canada45, I don't know your upload advertised speeds, but your supposed to be getting 5000 kbps download you have 4500 kbps download. Still good speeds though.

·
Banned
316 Posts
So for $0.00 for the next 2 months and then $19.95 for the next 10 months, I`d say that is fast enough for me!
Hello Derfel!!!!! Welcome back!

·
Banned
260 Posts
Well Canada45, I don't know your upload advertised speeds, but your supposed to be getting 5000 kbps download you have 4500 kbps download. Still good speeds though.

Actually, advertised speeds for MTS High Speed aren't 5000... they're 3500 I believe. Upload should be 500.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
3500 kbps for what? Lite (lowest) Lightning (medium) Lightning MAX (top). I thought you said you were on Lightning derfel and got 5000 kbps..
is 5000 kbps the Lightning MAX package?

now I am confused...

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
How are they able to give you faster speeds then advertised? Don't they have cap filters to not allow more than 3500/500..?

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
for example, with Videotron in Quebec you can get a 20 mbps download plan. No DSL co would ever ever get that high, unless they did huge upgrades.
I have to disagree with you on this point. Videotron's plan has a 20 GB monthly cap which makes it kind of useless. Bell currently offers 16 mbps in Montreal. Here is what Bell residential services president Kevin Crull said in the Globe and Mail about Bell's rollout of VDSL2 which is now underway.

He believes 26 megabits are more than enough to surf the Internet at high speeds while watching separate HD stations on two different TVs.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
thats what i meant by qoute: upgrades /end qoute. The POTS are going to have to go up to VDSL2 to bring speeds up to the capacity cable can get to. I never mentioned download caps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your on telus you should use the Seattle server... and those speeds are disgraceful for $40 a month... Shaw in BC gives 5 mbps download at $40

Not much of a difference between LA and Seattle...

I'm not a huge fan of Telus, but the reason I am with them is because of a past promo I just couldn't resist (makes it significantly cheaper than Shaw) and the fact I don't want to put up with Shaw's throttled bit torrent speeds.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Westmanguy, I was trying to make 2 points.

1. Videotron may have "bragging rights" with a 20 Mbps service, but you can only download about 3 hours a month before you hit the 20 GB cap. I wonder how many customers they have on that plan?

2. You said "No DSL co would ever ever get that high, unless they did huge upgrades".

The telcos are not nearly as far behind as you imply. MTS began rolling out 26 Mbps VDSL in Winnipeg in 2003. Other cities wired with fiber to the node for VDSL2 include Montreal, Toronto, Regina and Saskatoon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last Result:
Download Speed: 8027 kbps (1003.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 932 kbps (116.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Aurora Cable and Internet $49.95/month advertised 9000/900 I beleive. No cap. (although they have sent me 2 letters for downloading certain materials)

41 - 60 of 568 Posts