Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
541 - 560 of 587 Posts

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
^^^^
My speeds on Rogers almost never go below 60/10 and download is usually significantly more. My package includes 320 GB, which I have never used more than a fraction of.

·
Registered
136 Posts
*Weaklink Rural Broadband in Nova Scotia - $46.99/month plus 15% tax:

0.021 Mbps Down
0.032 Mbps Up
1121 ms Ping

Supposed to be "up to" 1.5 Mbps down
"up to" 500 Kbps down

* also known as Eastlink......

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Rogers 250 now costs $95/month, after initial discounts, and has unlimited data.
I only asked nicely whether I can move from my Fiber150 to Rogers 250 at no extra cost and (she said) because I've been with Rogers for more than 20 years, she'll give that price to me for the next 2 years at the end which the price may or may ot stay at my discounted rate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Primus

I had been on a "Triple Value Bundle" for the past 5 years or so. It started out as a pretty good value, but I was getting tired of the rate creep with no improvement in service. So I went shopping and looked at a bunch of alternatives. I ended up staying with Primus and upgrading.

WAS: $95.35/month for ADSL 7/0.7/unlimited, Home Phone (with 18 features) and unlimited NA LD.

NOW: $61.95/month for VDSL 25/10/unlimited, Home Phone (with 18 features) and 5¢/min NA LD (2 year contract)

So, I'm saving over $30 per month, and now have significantly faster internet. The only thing I lost was unlimited LD, but I looked at my usage and saw that I averaged only about 40-50 minutes per month over the past year.

Familiarity breeds contempt, and I had been looking to leave Primus. But when I thought about it, I realized that they've been rock solid over the past 5 years, with no downtime that I could recall. I also really like their POTS service, which includes a number of great call management tools, and automatically forwards voicemails to my email. I think you have to live near a CO where they have equipment in order to get their home phone service (I'm in Toronto, downtown - Adelaide CO).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Now something with Bell Fibe has gone terribly wrong in the last two days...

My last post #540 had 18/8.9
Bell 15/10

That turned out to be on a promo that should have been 25/15 (I remember the download was 25)

Off the promo and many are getting this Restart feature, but comments on internet performance seem to vary...

This is what I'm getting now:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4246322488

Still 15/10 package

8.8Mbs down
0.02Mbs up

Doing ANYTHING on the internet takes eons now.... and this is on all devices connected to the WiFi

Yup... Something has definitely gone amiss... and the equipment Fibe equipment show version 2.4.2900... Strange...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^ Will try that... Everything is WiFi due to the room layout. But I do have cat5 cabling so will run that test.

Changing from page to page from this site now takes 3-7 minutes. It seems all upload related.. Used to be instantaneous.... now on to getting that cable...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is interesting... With Cat5...

Ping 13ms
Down: 17.5Mbs
Up: 10.75Mbs (much better :) )

Now to switch back to the WiFi dongle and will edit that result into this post.

Edit:

Ping 16ms
Down: 17.45Mbs
Up: 5.61Mbs (better but nowhere near what it achieved on the promo... in post #540.. Strange)

Dongle is the D-Link DWA-171

Edit 2:
Still with the dongle...
Ping 14ms
Down 16.77Mbs
Up 4.05Mbs

TV not in use for any of this testing... Seems maybe some kind of cache / data flow in the up direction with the WiFi part of the router... Pages have started slowing down loading again... interesting.. upload buffer issue?

Cameron

·
Registered
375 Posts
You've all got nothing on me! Lol. I've got 4G Satellite Internet from Xplornet. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And no. There's nothing G better out where I live. This is the third Internet company I have. The best I ever get on a clear day is 5MBPS. Here's my results while it's raining.
Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

541 - 560 of 587 Posts