Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we researched and drooled over the specs for months,weighed the pros and cons, compared one OS to the other. Finally we made that smartphone purchase and in some cases locked into a 3 year contract doing so...

How many of you made or will make your tablet purchase based on the smart phone you have?

How many Android or iOS users will even consider a playbook?
As an android user i'm having a hard time coming up with reasons to mix formats and get something like a playbook or ipad.

What are tablet shoppers thinking when comes to making that big purchase?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I totally agree, it only makes sense to buy a tablet that works well/mirrors your phones technology. I bought an iPad when they first came out but would have bought an Android tablet if it was available. I am most likely going to get the ASUS Transformer and give my iPad to the wife.

As Android continues to be the number one platform in the world for smartphones, this is only going to translate into a huge number of Android tablets being sold with an obvious huge hit to iPad sales.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't think iPad will take a hit

The same fanbois will continue to purchase them, just other folks will buy other tablets

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily with android the selection is huge. The frustration with smart phones is availability is limited to the carrier you choose or have access too. It looks at least with tablets that if your not looking for 3G/4G features and are happy with wifi and treating it like a netbook for home the choices should be much broader for this shopping experience..

Although i still feel limited to what the local retailers carry.

I have my eye on the HTC Flyer right now, but where will i be able to buy it? And im not sure i want to limit to 7" display for home use...

I had a chance to play with the xoom and it was very nicely done as well the ipad2, i really would like to play with a HTC tablet before dropping money on anything..

Costo had viewsonic tablets 2 weeks ago but non on display so i missed trying one out, this weekend the entire product line was gone from the store.. Not sure what i missed out on. "_

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tikker, ya im not really talking about one OS beating out another. I just wonder how current smartphone owners feel when its time to get a tablet. Surely a iphone owner will get an ipad.

I think the various app markets kind of lock us into the OS. Does anyone know if a paid android app on your phone can be installed on your tablet? I been through 3 android loaners and was able to drop my entire app library into each one but all of my stuff was freeware. Same question for the ios,windowsphone and blackberry users.. can you transfer paid apps from one device to another? This could be a deal breaker for some i suppose?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I have an Android tablet and an Android phone, but I think Google really needs to look at implementing some more effective integration between the two. I wish I could establish some kind of connection between the two, either via bluetooth or the internet, that would forward my SMS to my tablet and alert me to incoming calls. Something like Blackberry bridge for Android.

There are some advantages right now (paid apps working on both is a big one), but that would be big for me.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good points i had not though about. I'll assume if your without a network plan on your tablet that you can tether to your phones hotspot right?

What tablet/phone do you have?

The other issue im struggling a bit with as well is mixing brands. I detest my wifes Motorola UI, but the xoom was nice, i need to see/play with a sence UI tablet.

TOC did you try before you bought your tablet?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
In the future, I think integration between devices will primarily be due to those devices accessing the same cloud services and web applications. The only devices that would take a hit are devices/services that are exclusive to a single platform.

In my case, all I care about is ensuring my tablets/smartphone/computers all integrate with Google Apps and Microsoft Exchange and Facebook. As long as the device I select interfaces with those services, I'm fine.

The biggest "app platform" today (and for the foreseeable future) is the web, and with the rapid improvement in browser capabilities I think we're going to see major improvements to the web as an application platform.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
good points i had not though about. I'll assume if your without a network plan on your tablet that you can tether to your phones hotspot right?

What tablet/phone do you have?

The other issue im struggling a bit with as well is mixing brands. I detest my wifes Motorola UI, but the xoom was nice, i need to see/play with a sence UI tablet.

TOC did you try before you bought your tablet?
I have a Nook Color modded running CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3). You can read about my experiences here, but it's basically a fully functional "no frills" 7" tablet. I also have a Google Nexus One, so I can use the wireless hotspot feature.

I knew what I was getting before I bought it, though I didn't actually try it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm definitely going with an Android tablet (more than likely the Eee Pad Transformer). I will agree with TorontoColin that it would be nice to see better integration with Android phones, but despite this the Eee Pad seems like a good option right now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've got a blackberry torch 9800, I do everything I need to when I'm not home, and I can tether to my netbook if I want a bigger screen. I don't think I really have much justification to purchase a tablet, as I don't use my netbook much at all.

It's great to see that pretty much EVERY manufacture has one, I think Creative's is really nice too. Not many other tablets have an SD slot, and its really cheap for 16gb. A guy at staples told me that people that preordered the playbook, intended on using it as their main pc/laptop. Which I don't think worked out too well, as you're limited without your bb (from what I've read).

Guessing that installing and running games isn't an option on most or all of these tablets?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think having a "matching set" would be more common among iPhone users given the iTunes link and maybe for those seeking familarity between the two devices.

I have a HTC Desire and I am possibly buying an iPad or Honeycomb tablet in WiFi versions. I don't need the two devices to work together other than sharing internet connections, not that the two devices are able to work well together, matching or not.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have Nexus One and have been very happy with it... I was about to buy an Ipad 2 when I heard of the upcoming 'then' Motorola Xoom in Canada. I have to say that I have not yet bought the Xoom, although I do look everytime I am in Bestbuy. I am hesitant as I know that newer versions will be out before the end of the summer.
I will more than likely hold out for the 'Nexus' branded tablet, although the Ipad 2 is sleek and light.

I am just reluctant to go with the apple when I love my Android phone so much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
With the risk of sounding like a Moto fanboy, I have been using a Motorola Milestone (unlocked) since the day they were released in Canada last February and bought a WiFi Xoom the day it was released here back in April.

Both devices have performed to my satisfaction. I had snapped up a 6GB data plan for the phone when they were around and have made lots of use of the Hotspot tethering from phone to tablet.

Although the Xoom has not exactly set the world on fire, I have had nothing but a positive user experience so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts