Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up to my stereo blasting at 4 Am wondering WTF!
I could see no reason for it and duduced it was a rogue IR wave that triggered the remote control or something.

Several weeks went by with no problem, then it happened again.
Again I figured some kind of freak accident.

The other day, it turned on while I was sitting in front of it, and every time I hit the off button it turned back on in minutes.

I have now unplugged it and am waiting to talk to Yamaha, (I only bought it 3 months ago)

Has anyone heard of similar problems with Yamaha before??

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you have a lamp that turns on by touching it, try plugging that into the same outlet. Perhaps there are power fluctuations happening on that particular circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that, but its on a surge / power bar that also covers my LCD TV and seen no problems there.

I was watching TV (without yamaha receiver on) when it happend last and the TV showed no sign of power issues.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
What remotes are you using? And is anything jammed in any of the buttons on the receiver, like the SCENE buttons? When it turns on, does it go to any particular input? Or just the last one that was on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 57 Interesting, but would not explain powering up in the middle of the night.

asif9t9
It seems to go to a random input.

There is nothing affecting buttons on Receiver.
I am using the original remote.
When I was present and it turned on, I used the remote to turn it off, then after several seconds it would turn itself back on.
After several of these, I pointed the remote away from the unit, and turned the power off from the Receiver. It still came right back on.

I have a call in to support in Toronto, hopefully they will have an idea.

I have to tell you that it is pretty spookey to wake up to music blasting at 4:00 Am, not knowing who turned it on.

LOL My first thought was Chillie Palmer :)
(From the movie Get Shorty)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Future Shop did Right By me

Well say what you will about Future Shop, but I took my unit back to the Abbotsford BC location, even though I bought it in May, Sanjay the Audio dept manager replaced it on the spot, no waiting for repair.

That was better than what Yamaha Canada offered me, they were going to repair it and return it whcih could have taken weeks.

I am really happy, and this will go a long way with me when I think of my next electronics purchase.:)

Thanks for the advise folks

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Well say what you will about Future Shop, but I took my unit back to the Abbotsford BC location, even though I bought it in May, Sanjay the Audio dept manager replaced it on the spot, no waiting for repair.
On forums such as this FS/BB get bad mouthed all the time. The majority of my experiences with FS/BB are positive, just don't ask their sales staff for any advice.;)
Getting back on topic I'm glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
954 Posts
My Onkyo receiver turned on by itself at around 3:00 am last night, and it scared the heck out of me. I went downstairs to see what the noise was, and it was the receiver. But before going to bed, I had it on the Aux input, which is the HDMI connection to the HTPC. I had shut off Kodi before going to bed as well. The strange thing was, I was hearing what seemed to be sports highlights from SportsCenter or something. The other thing was, the computer room door was closed and it normally is not, which is adjacent to the room where the Onkyo is in and where the HTPC resides, and I didn't want to open it, thinking someone might be in there!!! And no one else uses that computer except for me.

Needless to say I went back upstairs quickly after shutting off the A/V receiver, and then listened to determine if anyone was downstairs. Luckily no one was. Even when waking up in the morning around 8:00 am I kicked open the computer room door and jumped back, just in case someone was in there with a weapon of sorts! Again, luckily no one was in there.

What a crazy experience. It all seemed like a bad dream, but it was real, as others in the house heard the receiver. The unit is probably 5 years old now, and this is the first time it's happened.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha HTR A/V Receiver turns on and off by itself

My Denon that is my main source of audio has developed a right side problem. It always seemed like the right rear surround channel was always sounding slightly different than the rest of the channels, even while testing it with the built in pink noise, it never sounded like it was getting a full range sound. But then i tested an old cassette deck that i had repaired and switched the Denon to Sterne and played a tape. I only heard left side sound. switched out the RCA cables and same thing, Changed left to right and very quiet right channel.

So i decided to grab a bunch of cables and swap the Denon for my old Yamaha that has no HDMI and needed all kinds of extra cables to get it back into the system again.
Last time I was using it I noticed it was doing some strange things like randomly turning off, then it wouldn't want to turn back on, like it was dead. Then a good smack on the bottom and it would turn on with the power button again. It would stay working for a week straight without ever turning it off. If I did turn it off it wouldn't want to come back on till I smacked it again. Other times it would just turn right back on and stay on till I turned it off. Knowing this I just quickly tested it and now it was dead completely. Nothing at all when the power button pressed. I left it sitting there plugged while I grabbed a Sony Back up to the Backup in a line up of 8 or so back-up AV Receivers.

While I was connecting some wires to the Sony the Yamaha's fan starts to run and it lights up but shows nothing on the screen Just some lighting around the edges. I pushed every button including the power button and had no effect. then while I was trying to see if I could see anything on the scree using a magnifying glass it just shuts down? Then 10-15 minutes later it's back on again? I walked over to see if I could se anything and it turns off. The 1st time it stayed on for a few minutes, the second time it was off in 30 seconds.

I unplugged it and started looking on the web for fixes for both receivers.
Never had this happen with any audio device before.

Suffering with the Sony now and unhappy. I'm ready to just use the Denon and connect a stereo amp from the multi channel output to power the Front R & L speakers and call it good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts