Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Yamaha RX-V765 Receiver. I was looking at the manuel and I have a question about the speaker hook-up. I have a 5.1 speaker system and I also just bought a pair of new speakers so I could use the 7.1 capabilities of this new receiver. I also have outdoor speakers that I would like to hook up to this receiver(zone 2 ?). I will have four of the speakers by the TV(2 front left and 2 right). Can I hook up the extra front speakers on the surround speakers and have the YPAO notice the location? Can I hook up the 2 outdoor speakers to zone 2 and have them play with no additional equipment? I think that if the 2 extra front speakers are in front they need to be connected to zone 2/presence hook up but then I will have no place to connect the outdoor speakers to. Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
From a quick look at the Yamaha site, it appears that, in addition to 7.1 speakers, you can select to have EITHER a pair of presence speakers OR a pair of Zone 2 speakers, but not both. The selection is likely done in the speaker set-up menu.

Unless the set-up menu specifically allows it, you can't use the rear surround terminals for front/presence speakers because the audio that is sent to those speakers will only be rear surround audio. YPAO is for equalization - it cannot re-direct audio from one pair of channels to another.

Hope this helps. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts