Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha Canada Inc. is introducing a new series of premium A/V receivers this fall. The four A-series models - RX-A800, RX-A1000, RX-A2000 and RX-A3000 - all feature 7.2-channel output, support for high-resolution surround codecs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, Bluetooth compatibility for wireless music streaming from portable devices like smartphones and iPads, iPod connectivity via optional wired and wireless docks, and HDMI 1.4a connectivity with 3D pass-through and ARC (Audio Return Channel) capabilities.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
as per the US website, this is yamaha's new AVR (AVENTAGE) series.

i helped in the development .. (to quote austin powers..."no, not really..i can't back that up") ..:p

impressive AVR's

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
indeed "diddily idilly" neighbor .. (however flanders says it)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure hope they don't do a Canadianized version for us again.

With the RX-V3900, they removed at least 2 features I know of: HD-Radio and Circle Surround II...not sure about anything else.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Niiiiiiccccce! I can't wait to hear one in a sound room. There was no way I was considering replacing my RXV-1700 until I saw what Yamaha had to offer for new Bigger models.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
AFAIK, Aventage is essentially a renaming scheme of their Digital ToP-ART. Some vague "quality improvement" design "strategy".

PS: I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm just saying it's just a marketing ploy just like their ToP-ART during their analog days and Digital ToP-ART during their digital days (up until last year's model).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
can they now do TrueHD/DTS-MA with their DSP mixed in? Up until last year they still can't do that (unless you use MultiCH PCM or regular DD/DTS)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David are you sure about that?

I don't use the MultiCH PCM and I have an RX-V3900 that I know works on Movie-Adventure/SciFi and Standard during DTS-Master Audio on Blu-ray...as well as everything else.

I haven't checked DD TrueHD, but I would assume their DSP and Presence channels kick in there as well.

What type of receiver do you have?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I don't own a Yamaha receiver. All I did several months ago was writing an article (review) for an Indonesian magazine so they sent me a SEA version of the receiver and I can't get DolbyTrueHD running with 70mm Cinema until I set my BD player to internal decoding and run multi-ch PCM to the receiver and only then I can play the TrueHD soundtrack (essentially already converted to PCM) and add 70mm Cinema DSP to it with their Presence channel running.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the 70mm Cinema DSP on my receiver...(at least I haven't seen it)...however I remember having that DSP on an older receiver...can't remember which one...as I have had several Yamaha's.

I almost exclusively use the "Movie" DSP's for everything...with the exception of music.

Perhaps the International receivers differ as my RX-V3900 seems to work fine?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've run a complete check on my Receiver and the front Presence Speakers do work with Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA audio as long as you use one of Yamaha's DSP modes and have the Surround Back speakers turned off and Presence on.

I ran the complete gammit of tests and the only way they don't work is if you do not use a DSP mode.

To me...the Yamaha's unique Presence Speakers adds so much to the front soundstage that I couldn't live without them.

I've tried using Surround Back...but there is no comparison to which adds more to my enjoyment.

Yes it would be nice to use both...but that is a price point I cannot engage at this time.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Latest Review

Home Theatre Magazine's review of the RX-A2000

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I just picked up the RX-A2000 from back home in MT. Buddy gave it to me for $999.00USD, so I could hardly pass that up. So far so good, its absolutely killer compaired to my Onkyo TX-SR 806.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes it was a great deal. The owner of the store is a good friend. The only thing I don't like about this receiver is the manual. Its CD format only. I always like to be in front of the tv with the manual in hand. I guess its not that big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
here is a link for Yamaha's Receiver Manager software. I have been following along carefully additional forum user experiences from these latest Yamaha machines.

..as per the accompanying Yamaha documentation dated: August 4th, 2010

The Receiver Manager is an application designed to provide a means to control YAMAHA
AV Receiver using PC as the host control device. The application enables the modification
of various parameters via a GUI. It is also capable of loading the configuration from the
amplifier to the GUI.
The Receiver Manager is supported in following AV Receivers,
・ RX-A1000
・ RX-A2000
・ RX-A3000
・ RX-V1067
・ RX-V2067
・ RX-V3067
・ HTR-8063
・ HTR-9063
I'm not sure how long this particular link will be active, it is my understanding such software from Yamaha is rare. be interesting to check out, for those it would apply. ensure however that any settings, parameters you have currently in your AVR are saved, protected.

Save the file to your PC .. try it out if you have the supported Yamaha AVR's (connected to your network)

Keep in mind also the Apple Ipod Control App is a free download ..giving you the capability to control from your Ipod or iPhone.

Yamaha's Control App, addition information.

initial version of iPod control software, as i understand, was very slow. later version addresses this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought the yamaha HTR-8063 and it had 3.17 firmware on it and my net radio was working. I found that there was a new firmware update to 3.20, so i put the newest firmware on and now my net radio does not work? It says not connected? How can i downgrade back to original 3.17? Can't seem to find the old firmware? On another note The RX-A1000 is the same reciever so i was wondering if i could use that firmware as well to get other features such as sirius internet radio?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts