Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to research this receiver (thinking of using it in my basement 7.1 Home Theatre room, and to power a second zone in the adjacent rec room (stereo). I understand that it is the equivalent of the RXV-1900? There isn't that much info on this forum on either model, just a couple of posts.
I know it's an older model, but I can get it for a REALLY good price ($500).
Any advice for/against getting it (other than the fact that it's not HDMI 1.4 so not 3D compatible (my projector won't be 3D anyway).

How is the sound quality? It will be driving Pinnacle Studio 8000 5.1 speaker set with 2 Pinnacle surrounds added as rears. Room is 12'x15'.

I have had an entry level Yamaha in the past (6 year old model) and found the sound it produced "boring" compared to the Pioneer 1020K I am currently using in my living room. I'm not sure if I'm making sense with the "boring" comment, but it's just the way the old system sounded to me when it split the different channels, and I'm not sure if that's a result of my specific old receiver, or just a Yamaha type of sound when comparing to other models (Maybe Pioneer's sound is just better in that department?!?! My 1020 makes even Stereo in sound good when converting to a surround mode by splittting the speech / background sound).

The way I'm leaning right now is to get the 6290, because for the price, it seems like a definite big bang for the buck vs. getting a lower end new 3D 7.1 receiver in the same price range (which will likely only do 5.1 while powering Zone 2).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not really looking to do that (use the pre-out with another amp). But when I said "boring", I meant that my older cheaper Yamaha just sounded flatter I guess than my current Pioneer. Again, this could be because of the difference in age and obviously pricepoint between the 2 receivers... I was just wondering what others thought about how the Yamaha 6290 would sound vs. the Pio 1020.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check out the AV Science forum (I can't leave a link, just google it), they have a forum dealing with Yamaha 1900/3900. You can get a wealth of information there. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know AVS. Thanks.

I can also get the 6295B for a good price (only a little more than the 6290).
Higher model number (obviously) and has 2 HDMI outs, but for some reason, the front panel doesn't look as high-end as the 6290. Anyone know why this could be? Is it indeed a higher model or is the numbering inaccurate?

·
Registered
237 Posts
6290 has a much better amp section and Fantastic sound quality, better remote for sure....better build quality and looks too...no HDMI 1.4 though............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts