Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a Yamaha HTR 6295 receiver and I have a computer that I wanted to connect to it. Because the video and audio cards are separate, the video is over HDMI and the audio is coming over a digital coaxial. I haven't found a way to use one of the HDMI inputs with a different audio input as well. But with this 6295, it seems to be all over HDMI or nothing (the only other inputs are AV#, and they are completely differennt inputs from the HDMI inputs). I hoping that I'm just missing the instructions on how to select a different audio input. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a device that does only video over HDMI.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
1. Most Computer can send audio over HDMI, so you may wish to check for that first, however, you say they are separate - sobeit.

2. A digital coaxial input can be assigned to any input you like. Suggest you read the AVR's operating manual about assigning inputs.

3. If there is any signal (even a null signal) over the HDMI connection, then the AVR will "choose" that first, however, in the AVR setup you can "tell" the AVR to use the coaxial input instead - again, read the operating manual on how to set/delete audio input priority.

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to this - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution

I'm going to post this here in case someone else is looking to a solution to this same problem. I finally got a response from Yamaha and they said that I had to do a firmware update to get that functionality.

Once you do the update, then you click on the "Options" button on the remote, then go to "Inputs" and change the video input for the audio input you want to use. The only problem I'm having is that I have to do this every time I want to use it. It seems to remember the setting, but I have to go into the options menu just to get the video feed to pull from the proper source, but that's another story.

SS

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
If it's properly set up to use a certain input for the audio, there should be no reason to "redo". This is done in the User Setup Menu, provided you do it properly. Also, there should have been no need for a firmware update (although it's a good idea) since this functionality exists in almost all AVRs. Make sure you don't select "auto" in the setup menu since it will then go for the HDMI null signal, you need to tell it to select the coaxial audio input, if that's the one you want.

What's your location?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the Yamaha rep said that the firmware update was required to get the input options in the option menu. It is properly set up, but for some reason I have to enter the options menu and exit for it to "recognize" the input. If I don't go into the options menu, then I just get a black screen with "no video input".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts