Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my parents have a Yamaha htr-6230 receiver ,I want to hook it up to the dvd player and hdtv.I hooked it up to the hdtv via hdmi cable ,but the tv does not recognize the receiver nor does it play audio through stereo speakers.So my questions are what is the best way to setup the receiver and hdtv together and what is the best setup for my dvd?This tv is a basement tv and the bell receiver is upstairs, a cable coming from upstairs to downstairs connects the hdtv to the bell receiver to get picture(this might be the problem?)
I have went through the manual but it does not give any fixes for audio problems.
If I can't get any audio from the hdmi cable from receiver to hdtv then why the hdmi output on receiver in first place? Thks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The same

Should sound about the same as HDMI. The big deal being made about hdmi is that if it works, you just need to hook up one cable.
Component video and coax digital/spdif should give you the same quality of output as hdmi.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
channelswitcher: Optical cable cannot carry HD audio (from a BD player for example), as discussed near the end of the following FAQ. Yes, it will work, but HD audio will be missing, but that may not matter for your folks.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

You can still use HDMI for the video if you like, either through the AVR or directly to the TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Thks the hdtv when setup does not recognize the hdmi from receiver to tv,it gives me no signal,same goes for component video ,what am I doing wrong?I just for now wnat the tv to recognize the receiver for video , sound will be through optical cable.Thks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Some AVRs do not "send" any signals via HDMI. This may be one of them. It may "pass" the signal from a STB or DVD player... Some AVRs require a connection like composite video to view the various AVR setup menus on the TV screen. This is probably all covered in the operating manual for the AVR. I suggest you read it.

Also, if you've got component video going "to" the AVR (from a DVD player for example), then you need component video from the AVR to the TV. As I mentioned in my first post, this AVR doen't transcode analogue audio signals to the HDMI out. Again, this would be covered in the operating manual and I also highlighted the various features that AVRs can and cannot have in my link in post 5.

I also mentioned in post 2, that you could consider the video connections directly to the TV. I suggest you also check out the second link in post 2 and read the valuable information there.

A Harmony remote may help with this situation, or perhaps getting an AVR that does transcode and handle HDMI audio - I believe the 6250 does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thks for reply I will check on those posts, right now dvd is working with hdmi to tv ,but have to use optical audio for it,no big deal.
hdmi(dtv\cbl)from avr to tv hdmi should work ,but does not.Again optical audio will be used.I have read manual many times ,but some things are really not clearly explained.
Too late for changing avr now ,time has passed to bring back to store ,we have to deal with Yamaha if changes were to be done.Thks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
hdmi(dtv\cbl)from avr to tv hdmi should work ,but does not.Again optical audio will be used
I have no idea what you're trying to do here. If you're trying to get audio from the TV to the AVR (not the other way as you've explained), then you will need to use optical from the output of the TV to an input on the AVR. We've already discussed the fact that the AVR doesn't handle audio via HDMI, it simply passes HDMI signals from one device to the TV "through" the AVR. It doesn't go "backwards". As discussed several times in this thread, it'll be best if you connect each device to the TV directly for video and each device directly to the AVR for audio

Note that you cannot usually go "through" the TV and maintain DD5.1 signals, as discussed in the following FAQ - bolding:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

If you're trying to get audio from OTA stations (or cable stations tuned directly) on the TV to the AVR, then the optical output on the TV should work, however, sometimes this requires that you turn off the TV speakers in the TV user setup menu, so that signals flow out the optical output.

If you have a cable STB, then that should be connected directly to the AVR for audio.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am trying to get audio from avr to tv I just worded wrong or you misunderstood ,sorry.
I will be using optical for all audio.Thks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the problem is the setup they have.They have a hdtv upstairs with the satellite receiver, downstairs is another hdtv with no receiver just a cable from the satellite receiver upstairs to the hdtv downstairs to get the satellite feed, that is because the satellite receiver upstairs from Bell can do 2 televisions at once with 2 different channels.So downstairs I tried to connect the audio optical cable from avr to hdtv and still no sound ,what do I need to do with the hdtv so the sound will come out of the speakers from the avr?I have the audio optical cable in the dtv\cbl input. Could it be there setup as described here? Thks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I tried to connect the audio optical cable from avr to hdtv and still no sound
Are you trying to get sound from the AVR to the TV or from the TV to the AVR?

I assume you're using a regular RF-coax connection from the BTV STB to the TV? Do you have audio on the TV?

Please describe exactly what devices (makes and models) are connected to what other devices (makes and models) and what connections you're using - use the terminology from the Cables & Connections FAQ in post 2. Also describe where you want to hear the audio - TV? AVR? Both?

If you've got most of your other stuff working, you can concentrate on describing what doesn't work and which equipment is involved in what doesn't work.

From an earlier post you say:

I am trying to get audio from avr to tv I just worded wrong or you misunderstood ,sorry.
I will be using optical for all audio.
The AVR doesn't have an optical output and the TV doesn't have an optical input, so again, I have no idea how you intend to do what you say since those connections don't exist, or what it is that you're trying to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thks for reply ,the avr yamaha htr-6230 digital audio input yes ,and the Lg tv 42pq10 has a optical output, what I want is when viewing the tv for the sound to go through the stereo speakers not the tv. Thks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I'm not sure if the TV will send signals from say the RF-coax input, out the optical connection. If it does, you often have to turn off the internal TV speakers so that the signal is sent out the optical port, or the optical port needs to be "enabled". This would be a TV user setting.

If you are using the RF-coax connection to the TV, I assume you know that the picture quality is not very good, certainly not HD and that the audio is mono when coming from the STB. You should consider a different connection for the HDTV to get true HD, or you should get a separate STB instead of trying to run everything off one STB.

If you're using HDMI from the STB to the TV, please realize that most TVs do not "pass" DD5.1 audio out the optical port, as discussed in the following FAQ (bolding)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thks for reply the tv speakers were turned off but still no sound and no settings in tv menu.Optical audio still a no-go.
I think it is rf-coax cable to tv from stb upstairs, what otherconnection would be better?

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Component video or HDMI since they're the only HD connections as outlined in the Cables FAQ in post 2. Of course that may not be the way you wish to have this second set connected since it would show the same programme as the first TV.

With component video you'd have to have an analogue audio connection to the TV as well, or optical directly to the AVR from the STB for example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts