Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm looking into buying a new audio receiver for my surround sound system. I am looking at anywhere from 500.00-800.00 to spend. Can someone give me a heads up on the latest technology from yamaha. Is the 5060 series a good choice. someone at future Shop told me that yamaha is a good quality......Can someone else help me out? thanks...

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Yamaha makes great, reasonably-priced receivers. The HTR line is the big-box store equivalent of their "boutique" store RX-V line, but the comparable models are essentially identical.

The HTR-5760 ($650 at F.S.) is a nice receiver with plenty of features, including:
- 7.1 channel audio;
- DD EX and DTS Discrete 6.1;
- 95 watts/ch (8 ohms, 20 - 20,000 Hz);
- component video switching;
- composite to S-video up-conversion; and
- YPAO audio calibration.

Happy shopping! :D

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have had 4 of them over the years my latest is the RX-V 2500. All four are still working and all sound great. I think you will be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I cannot attest to the latest generation of yamaha receivers, as I don't have one.

However, I do have a lot of older Yamaha equipment that has been extremely reliable, and only had minor problems that cropped up after 10+ years of use.

It's good gear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rxv-750

I am pleased to say that i got my new gem this weekend! After a lot of searching i came across this baby at a Dumoulin store. Its a beautiful Titanium piece. My question to other Yamaha owners out there is what is the difference between HTR and RXV model receivers? Is one better than the other? HTR says full featured receivers and RXV says premier line of receivers. What is the Yamaha website trying to say by this? I just would like a heads up...My purchase has already been made and i am very happy with it! Thanks for any input...

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Congratulations on your new receiver!

speezer said:
My question to other Yamaha owners out there is what is the difference between HTR and RXV model receivers?
As I mentioned at the top (and in a previous thread), the HTR and RX-V lines are essentially "spec-to-spec" identical. The only apparent difference is that the former line is intended for big-box stores while the latter is dedicated to "boutique" shops.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have used Yamaha components for the past 20 years and feel bang for buck you cant go wrong. My most recent Yamaha RX-v995 is astounding as to how much power is available to me very solid and reliable.
Sure there are better receivers out there but you will not find one in the same price range that will beat Yamaha.
As mentioned above the HTR and RX-V lines are identicle. with one exseption the RX-V line usualy has one or two steps up at the top of the line with no HTR moddel to compare to.
Go For It!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've owned Yamaha for the past 17 years and have only upgraded my rec'rs to accomidate more digital inputs.

Currently I own an RX-V740 and am quite happy with it. Congrats on the TI 750, I love the look of the reciever.

I don't know if it's my elitest attitude, but I've never bought an HTR Yamaha, only the RX-V line. I like supporting my small 'mom and pop' store I guess :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had Yamaha receivers for 10+ years now. Great sound, great price and never had a service issue. Currently I have a RX-V596 which is great - just no component output to connect to my upcoming plasma. I have been looking at the rx-v650 and the HTR-5760 but now I see the new models are out in the US and soon in CN. The 657/5860 seem to both be basically unchanged except for XM and Up-conversion from composite-svideo to component. I don't think I really need either. My inputs will be a DVD player and a HD sat receiver. I figure that last years models should be available a pretty good discount as stores look to move old product.

Have I missed any important changes with these two new models? What does the 750 give you that the 657/5860 doesn't.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
mrhooie said:
New Yamaha recievers should be shipped at the end of April

Biggest change I noticed was more power
Another big change is the inclusion of DVI switching. My RX-V2400 has component switching, and my previous RX-V1040 has svideo switching, although I have never had a need for them.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah, my mistake. But is HDMI not DVI-D with sound included? Also, I thought I saw somewhere that RX-V2500 has it, maybe I am all wet here.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
No, the RXV 2500 in my theatre has no digital video switching.

·
Registered
706 Posts
like Mole said the 2500 doesn't

neither does the Z1 or Z9.

It's in the works for next year as long as nothing drastic changes

1 - 20 of 40 Posts