Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering .. if anyone tried / has it...

Any comments..

p.s. just checked their web site .. - both of those services are NOT available in Winnipeg / Manitoba yet

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yak uses the Bell wholesale network, so if you don't have Bell, you won't be able to get Yak (unless they get an arrangement with MTS, which is probably not likely)

They may also serve Telus areas, not 100% sure. Haven't really followed their progress much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yak uses the Bell wholesale network,
Are you sure?
In a few places, including Kitchener-Waterloo, YAK has its own fiber network.
I have both YAK home phone and YAK DSL service. (Yak Pak Lite 5).
I asked YAK specifically, and the reply was that YAK does not rent or lease Bell facilities.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Okay, yes, they have their own colo'd DSLAMs in a few select markets, but they still use bell wiring to your home.

The OP is in MB, where they don't have wholesale running via belus, nor do they have their own equipment.

Yak may have fibre backbone (as do all wholesale ISPs), but its not FTTH.
They're using bell's wire to your house.
That reply is a stretch on the truth - they're going on the fact that the wire isn't a "facility" per se ;)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I did work once for a company that was trying to get into this sort of business - they were going good ... growing slowly ... then suddenly *NEW* "UPPER MANAGEMENT" had delusional dreams, all of the sudden, of "GOING NATIONAL" right away - went public on the stock market - changed their company name - and then wankers went BANKRUPT (bunch of cronies ...).

What a SHAM that was ... What a scam ...

i.e. Evolving from a re-seller to offer services like this - home phone and internet - using the facilities of one of the other large incombants - plus building their own network backbone.

They'd better be committed ... and have deep pockets.

But YAK is related with Globealive and therefore Orascom Telecom from Egypt is it not ? I've read and done some research in the recent past ...

And those companies are offering competitive (reseller / agregator) wireless/cellular services in Canada are they not? (Virgin mobile?) (using Bell's Cellular network ???)

I use YAK for Calling card and Cellular LD calling product.

AND YAK is GREAT for these services. Very economical and handy.

Why give a cellular company like ROGERS 25c / min for LD ... or 30c / min for cellular airtime ... in today's age ... when you can just walk up to a pay-phone anywhere, dial a toll free number (no coins required), dial an access number, and away you go?

-or-

Dial a local access number - in the major cities - enter you access number ...

-or- (YAK's cellular product)

Dial the local access number or Toll free number, from your cellular phone, YAK's system recognizes you / your caller ID, and gives you return dial tone for LD dialling.

All billed at a very reasonable and cheap rate ( 3c or 5c per minute ) - and no monthly fees, or plan fees, whatsoever - straight usage.

What the heck did we go through all that LD competition for? ... in the mid 1990's ... to have what we have now ???

What a Crock ! What a Crock the industry is today in Canada!

I say !

Go YAK GO ! Go Orascom/Globalive/Virgin GO !

Expand slowly and give em' heck ...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Orascom is of no relation to Globalive, aside from providing investment capital for Wind.

Yak has been operating for years before they came along.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr. Vanwinkles: "Go YAK GO ! Go Orascom/Globalive/Virgin GO !"
I assume you meant to say:
"Go YAK GO ! Go Orascom/Globalive/WIND GO !"

WIND Mobile is Globalive's Cellular company; Virgin is one of Bell's flanker brands. . .

·
Registered
150 Posts
They don't have their 10 Mbps service in my area. Can only get 5 and then, I need to get dry loop for an extra $10. The total is the same as what I'm paying now, for half the speed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes, thank you then for the corrections.

Wind Mobile is what I meant there.

GO {YAK, Wind Mobile, and Orascom Telecom} GO !

[ Difficult to keep track of all the players and who exactly is associated with who ... it changes alot ]

... and I've got some nice WIND too ... especially for Bell .

brrrrr tttt.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yak was one of the biggest resellers of long-distance in Canada. I used them for a dial-around service over using BC Tel's LD around 10 years ago as their rates were much lower than Telus. Then I found out that BC Tel(us) offered a basic LD plan (at no extra charge) that allowed me to call LD in N. America + a lot of Europe and Asia for 4 cents a minute while Yak wanted 7 cents (or more). Haven't used Yak for some 4 years as a result.

Also tried a YAK VoIP product some 8 years ago. It was o.k. but I never used it too much. They discontinued it after a year or so.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe now but it was a lot higher. I have a dial around sticker on one of my old phones. 10-10-Yak dialaround rates are 5 cents in N. America and 9 cents to Europe where Telus is 4 cents. Singapore is 2 cents on telus where yak is 9. The subscription LD service is slightly cheaper for N. America but more expensive for int'l.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dial around ... and if using something like Goldine or Just Dial .. - N. America i believe is something like 1.9 or 2.9 cents / min.

Not sure exactly how much now.. - i have them .. but hardly call long distance lately.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've have had this rate for 2-3 years with Yak. The best thing is it's just like using Telus's LD but your billed thru Yak.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
More off topic posts removed.

This thread is about Yak.

Anymore posts not related to Yak will be removed and infractions issued.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YAK - only if you have money to loose

YAK was (and technically still is) my long distance provider for the phone landline (videotron is my phone provider). It worked smoothly for 3 years. But then, suddenly and without any warning, they stopped their service, which meant that their "competitive" prices did not apply anymore. They continued, however, to bill me, but at much higher prices (29 cents/min). I have been trying to correct the situation, but their service is absolutely incompetent and/or dishonest. At this point I seek the advice of a lawyer. It is a shame that such companies are allowed to do business in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Please clarify. Are you saying that your YAK service stopped and you are now being invoiced by YAK at the higher rate?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts