Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Seems to be a Firefox thing. Their default new tab search was always Yahoo, but for the last 2 days when you search something on their new tab page you go directly to Twitter. If you have Firefox on your computer, give it a try.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS...Admins....Feel free to change the name of this Thread because Yahoo search is still available, even on Firefox, just seems to be removed from New Tab page.

·
Super Moderator
56,421 Posts
The new tab page for me on FF has Google Search. That's not how I search though, I have a bookmarked Yahoo search page in all my browsers (Chrome, FF, Safari).

In FF you can go into Preferences - Search and set your default search, however, I'm not sure if Yahoo was ever there (recently, with Quantum)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine has always defaulted to Google.

Assuming you're on the desktop version, copy/paste and enter this into your address bar: about:preferences#search

Go through this if Yahoo isn't in the list.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've discovered the problem. On my last FF update 2 days ago, they changed my default search engine to Twitter. A very strange search engine indeed. Anyway, I have it set on Google now, and yes, the old default, yahoo search, is still available.

·
Super Moderator
56,421 Posts

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The New Tab layout is dynamic. Depending on browsing history, items will be added, moved or removed. Items can be pinned in place to make sure they don't move or disappear.

Just checked my FF search options and Yahoo is missing from the list. It can be installed by clicking on, "Find more search engines." This is a recent fresh installation, about a week old, so the defaults are probably intact. The list of search engines, in order, is: Google, Bing, Amazon.com, DuckDuckGo, eBay, Twitter, Wikipedia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts